droid

Benny is indeed dogmatic on issues of gender.

That does not mean hes wrong in this case. Baboon is OTM.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But that's a gobsmackingly outrageous claim. Lucky for you there are next to no women on this forum.

Well that's how I see it. It's just obvious. On the one hand you have the misogynistic stereotype of the 'Feminazi', and on the other, feminists who are only too happy to fit that stereotype by being far more interested in demonizing men than in actual equality.

There used to be a woman on this forum. She had some worthwhile things to say sometimes but she also made claims like literally one third of all men are rapists, male schoolteachers are inherently creepy and the main reason divorced fathers want to see their kids is in order to fuck them. So yeah.

john eden

male pale and stale
For the record there have been several women on this forum who have made great contributions. It wasn't always obvious from their usernames or posts that they were women either.

Hello if you still lurk here. And sorry about all this.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I recall there were a few others very early on, around when I joined, but nomad was by far the most active. I think at one point she had the highest post count if you added up her three accounts. There's a lot she said that I disagreed with (obviously) but a lot that was interesting too. She seems like she'd be a fun person to go drinking with, meds allowing.

It was funny how zhao would sometimes appeal to her for backup when he was arguing with me or vimothy, but at other times she'd tear him to pieces after he came out with some gibberish about fruitarian proto-hominids or whatever.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hello if you still lurk here. And sorry about all this.

Look, if I'm that much of an embarrassment then just ban me. Seriously. I've enjoyed being a member of this community over the years but for a forum called 'dissensus' it has its fair share of orthodoxies.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Well that's how I see it. It's just obvious. On the one hand you have the misogynistic stereotype of the 'Feminazi', and on the other, feminists who are only too happy to fit that stereotype by being far more interested in demonizing men than in actual equality.

You don't think that misogyny (and the 'resurgence' in it -not sure when misogyny took time off, but that's a minor point here) might just be driven by men being misogynist, rather than by women?

I think it's a point of view worth considering, as is the thought that many women might have more than enough reason to 'demonise' men, because the 'actual equality' that they're allegedly not really that interested in has already been infringed on many, many occasions.

Please tell me you don't believe what you've written above, and were just annoyed and writing any old crap to try to win the argument? It's not unorthodox to blame women for misogyny, it's just wrong and offensive.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Drama queen, much?

Lol, says the man apologizing on my behalf to people who haven't posted in the best part of a decade in case they're anonymously browsing the forum. It's just that if it's causing that much unpleasantness then I probably shouldn't post here any more.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Please tell me you don't believe what you've written above, and were just annoyed and writing any old crap to try to win the argument? It's not unorthodox to blame women for misogyny, it's just wrong and offensive.

I'm not blaming "women", that's ridiculous. It's not feminism or feminists per se either, but a particularly dogmatic strain of feminism. I'm pretty sure all my female friends would gladly call themselves feminists, but I've never heard any of them come out with some of the mental stuff that Benny does sometimes.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'm not blaming "women", that's ridiculous. It's not feminism or feminists per se either, but a particularly dogmatic strain of feminism. I'm pretty sure all my female friends would gladly call themselves feminists, but I've never heard any of them come out with some of the mental stuff that Benny does sometimes.

So you're only blaming some women for this resurgence in misogyny. That's alright then!

droid

Lol, says the man apologizing on my behalf to people who haven't posted in the best part of a decade in case they're anonymously browsing the forum. It's just that if it's causing that much unpleasantness then I probably shouldn't post here any more.

You could try not being unpleasant. It's worked wonders for Craner.

john eden

male pale and stale

OK JUST BAN ME TOO THEN, waaaaaaah.

Get a grip. :)

Benny Bunter

Here's a more balanced report of the case, the full details of which have not been published. Contrary to previous reports she hasn't even been sentenced yet.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...x-boyfriend-deletes-facebook-page-after-abuse

Lavinia Woodward, 24, has been told that if she stays off drugs and does not reoffend, she may avoid a prison sentence – immediate or suspended – when she returns to court in September.

After her case was brought to public attention in press reports this week, pictures from her Facebook account were published across the media, and she began to receive threatening messages.

The full details of the case have not been published. The 24-year-old student was described to the court as very vulnerable with psychiatric issues. She is already in rehab. A psychiatric report and a pre-sentence report both concluded that the effect of sending her to jail would be “catastrophic”.

Her ex-partner, a Cambridge University student whom she met on the dating app Tinder, did not need hospital treatment. His fingers were steri-stripped and his 1cm leg wound required stitches which were inserted at the scene.

While the mitigating factors in the sentencing guidelines ask judges to consider whether a defendant has shown otherwise good character or exemplary conduct, there is no specific mention of academic achievement or intelligence. The judge’s comments that she was was an “extraordinarily able lady” and her defence counsel’s reference to her being “bright” – which have attracted public attention to the case – may therefore not be relevant to her sentencing.

The deferred sentence imposed conditions on Woodward, to remain drug and alcohol free and to commit no further offences. The judge said he wished to give her the chance to prove she could continue to rehabilitate herself. Pringle also handed down a five-year restraining order preventing Woodward from having any contact with the victim.

Her ex-partner was not seriously injured, there was no premeditation and she had no previous criminal history. A category 3 offence would normally be dealt with by way of community service; a category 2 offence would have a starting point of a sentence that could be suspended.

Use of a weapon would have counted as an aggravating factor in assessing the offence but the breadknife was merely an object to hand rather than something she had fetched with intent to use. The court also heard that she stabbed herself with the blade.

Benny Bunter

So Mr Tea, if this had been the first report you'd read about the case, would you have had the same reaction?

Do you think this woman should go to jail?

And can you see how taking gender into consideration might be a useful perspective, rather than 'bizarre' or 'nuts'?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
So Mr Tea, if this had been the first report you'd read about the case, would you have had the same reaction?

Do you think this woman should go to jail?

And can you see how taking gender into consideration might be a useful perspective, rather than 'bizarre' or 'nuts'?

Let me turn that round and ask you what your take would be if the genders were reversed. A "bright" and "promising", but also "vulnerable", man with drug problems violently assaults his girlfriend with a knife. What's your take then?

Moreover, leaving gender aside, I maintain that it's fucked up that she should be treated more leniently than if she were just an ordinary prole who worked in a shop or something. You've got someone who's already lucked out in the life lottery being accorded yet further privilege. If you have more reason than some other people to want to avoid jail, then that's all the more motivation for you to avoid committing crime, isn't it?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Plenty of men too. Benny is a man, or presents as one.

OK, but only those men who are in support of feminism are responsible for this resurgence of misogyny, right? It's not the men who are actually being misogynist who are responsible?

Ffs Tea, there are points where you have to hold your hands up and realise that you've said something indefensible!

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Plenty of men too. Benny is a man, or presents as one.

Or am I? How do you know I'm not one of those man-hating feminazis in disguise?

Let me turn that round and ask you what your take would be if the genders were reversed. A "bright" and "promising", but also "vulnerable", man with drug problems violently assaults his girlfriend with a knife. What's your take then?

String him up by his balls!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's not the men who are actually being misogynist who are responsible?

Of course they're responsible, and I never said otherwise. But nothing happens in a vacuum and there are social and cultural forces that can make people more likely to adopt a certain prejudice.