Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Cafes and sandwich shops with massively suboptimal choosing and ordering processes. Particularly ones where you can't tell what's on offer until you've actually got a member of staff looking at you expectantly waiting for you to order. There's one near us where you queue up with no sight of a menu at all until you arrive at the counter. You then move from right to left along the counter, but they take your order at the right hand end so that you don't see that really appetizing looking thing until you've already ordered and are waiting to pay, which you do at the left hand end. And then they put the tip jar back at the right hand end, so you're past it before you've got your money out. At which point someone's just walked in and sat down at the only spare seat in the place[1], so there's nowhere for you to sit, a problem that's exarcebated by the fact that it's fecking tiny and mostly taken up by people who've spent the last half hour ignoring an empty esspresso cup while doing something which we're clearly meant to infer is "creative" on their Macbooks. If the scacciata and spianata weren't so good I'd want to firebomb the place but annoying they are that good, is so I'm always inclined to put up with all the other irritations.

[1] at another place in town, I once saw the guy come out from behind the counter specifically to stop someone bagging a table until they'd queued up and got their order in, which impressed me.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
File next to "people with massively complicated bar orders in busy places with laid back bar staff."

Last edited:

Leo

somewhat similar to the above, i've said it before but...

people who stand at a bus stop for 10-15 minutes and wait until the point where the bus arrives and they step inside to start looking through all their pockets for their bus fare, causing the line of people behind them to stop moving and the bus to sit at the stop until these nitwits, who apparently had NO IDEA they were going to get on a bus and have to pay a fare, dig through every pocket to gather up the assortment of change [1]. sometimes they don't even have the exact amount and have to then ask people in line if they change of a dollar. extra points if it's raining, or during the freezing depths of winter.

[1] some of our buses accept exact change in coins for fares in addition to transit cards/tokens.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Aww, shit...

...this one goes out to Craner.

egone.jpg

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-harold-ramis-dead-20140224,0,2259309.story :(

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Dammit, rumbled! Yes, I'm secretly an obese but nonetheless beach-body-proud, superstitious, devout yet strangely insecure Christian woman with an interest in 'fringe physics'.

Last edited:

Leo

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Why does that do your head in? I can't listen at work but it sounds like a reasonably interesting idea.

Oh.

Listening tests, primarily designed by and for western-european white men, were used to develop and refine the encoder. These tests determined which sounds were perceptually important and which could be erased or altered without being noticed. This has inadvertently created a class of privileged sounds.

Last edited:

Leo

Why does that do your head in? I can't listen at work but it sounds like a reasonably interesting idea.

also, couldn't think of an appropriate existing thread and didn't know if it justified starting a new one. maybe should have created a "pointless but actually kind of interesting" thread, which of course then won't make it pointless at all. we all know how much the mods love the idea of additional rolling "pointless" threads.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Pointless But Actually Quite Interesting But Spoiled By A Pretentious Holier-Than-Thou Tit Using It As An Opportunity To Show Off His Mad Privilege-Awareness Cred

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
People who break all the poppadoms in place and then take bits from the central plate, rather than taking a whole poppadom of their own to deal with at leisure.

Related: people who once went on holiday in [place] and are consequently world experts on the the cuisine and will drone on at anyone who'll listen about how this is nothing like what they really eat in [place]...

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Related: people who once went on holiday in <place> and are consequently world experts on the the cuisine and will drone on at anyone who'll listen about how this is nothing like what they really eat in <place>...

If someone you know comes back from a few weeks' backpacking in India and thinks they know aaaaallll about the history, culture, cuisine etc. of the whole country as a result, you have every right to tell them they're talking Uttar Pradesh.

Last edited: