Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Good god but am I ever sick of people who think it makes them sound smart or funny or worldly wise by starting with "But at least..." and then saying something that's obviously untrue and finishing with "Oh." or "Oh wait."

It's like the dark days of the early '90s and Americans thinking they'd have a go at this sarcasm thing by saying something in a very sarcastic voice and then going "...NAWT!!!!" just in case anyone missed the sarcasm.

IdleRich

IdleRich
my "pointless..." comment for the day: i have loads of old 12" house and techno vinyl with $5.99 (for domestic) and $9.99 (for import) price stickers on them. i was just looking at a weekly new releases email and almost all of the 12" vinyl is at least $14.99...holy crap, how do people afford to buy records anymore? who's going to take a chance on some obscure single when it's that price? maybe most dance music fans are buying digital at this point, so there's only a small universe of obsessives who spend cash for vinyl.
I've been thinking about prices for vinyl a lot recently cos I am moving and short of money so I have been looking through my records and selling things I don't want or need. As well as my own stuff there is a load of kida 90s and 00s dance music that has accumulated over the years. I've sold some sevens for over a ton but others sell for much less than I expected - especially the "dance" stuff. While you're right that new stuff is expensive, it generally doesn't hold its value. It's weird to me that things such s box sets with like five drum & bass twelves cost 40p on discogs. It just seems that the sheer weight of vinyl should make it cost more than that. So, what's my point? None really but I guess that if someone can't afford new twelves they could amuse themselves and buy every new techno, house, big-beat etc record released between 95 and 2010 for a total of £7.50

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
It's like the dark days of the early '90s and Americans thinking they'd have a go at this sarcasm thing by saying something in a very sarcastic voice and then going "...NAWT!!!!" just in case anyone missed the sarcasm.

in the late 80's USA, i seem to remember saying "sike" instead of "not". It may be a regional thing.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
in the late 80's USA, i seem to remember saying "sike" instead of "not". It may be a regional thing.

Like this, you mean?

spill.png

I'm going mainly from the Wayne's World movies, to be totally honest. And the guy who tried to teach Borat how to do 'comedy', although of course that was long after the early '90s.

entertainment

the fact that the 'hater' rhetoric has somehow made it acceptable to discard any criticism on the basis of a fabricated suggestion of some petty motive like jealousy or whatever.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
the hater/anti-negativity thing has allowed way too much wack shit to fly. i'd argue that it's one of the main reasons for things becoming so shit. if we're not allowed to be honest when it comes to criticism then the bar will get set lower and lower. the kids now were raised on the idea that if you're determined, and believe in yourself enough, you will succeed. but they forgot to factor in the other bit.. talent.

entertainment

the hater/anti-negativity thing has allowed way too much wack shit to fly. i'd argue that it's one of the main reasons for things becoming so shit. if we're not allowed to be honest when it comes to criticism then the bar will get set lower and lower. the kids now were raised on the idea that if you're determined, and believe in yourself enough, you will succeed. but they forgot to factor in the other bit.. talent.

I'd argue it's the same kind of "the more succesful you are, the more people will hate you" mentality that fueled a big part of Trump's support during the election. It almost glorifies being critized/hated and makes people blind to the actual content of the criticism.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
the kids now were raised on the idea that if you're determined, and believe in yourself enough, you will succeed. but they forgot to factor in the other bit.. talent.

This is complicated by the fact that many people have made it very big without much in the way of identifiable talent at all. So if talent helps in terms of becoming a success in certain fields*, it isn't actually necessary, the missing ingredients are sheer dumb luck and, let's not forget, the often unseen (or ignored) helping hand of well-connected and/or rich parents. I mean, without wishing to dis Lana del Rey's abilities as a songwriter or performer, it can't have hurt her career to have minted parents. Kim Kardashian hasn't exactly had to claw her way up out of the gutter either. And so on.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Student who stabbed boyfriend may avoid jail as it would ‘damage her career’

Jesus Christ. Didn't people - you know, common people, plebs, scummers - get jail time after the London riots for pinching packets of crisps from shops that other people had already broken into? This is so fucked. Just utterly indicative of the general fuckedness of things. Untergang des Abendlandes.

I'd say that the real indicator of the 'general fuckedness of things' is that this particular case, in terms of who's assaulting who, is really an exception that will not be reported as such. The truth is it's almost always men who gain impunity through this sort of justification, in the courts and from society, as seen in the recent Ched Evans case for one.

Remember an unfortunate side-effect is this will no doubt get jumped on by the 'oh but but men suffer domestic violence too' crowd unfortunately.

Oh wait, they already have

I'm only commenting because I think that, with exceptional cases such as this one, you often find that there's much more too it. Before making a big deal out of such individual, unusual cases, its maybe more useful to use them as an opportunity to highlight the main trends and greater context on the rare occasions that they do crop up - institutionalised sexism in the media and justice system, the epidemic of male violence against women - stuff like that really.

Besides all that, now its out there in the media isn't there a good chance it will fuck up her career anyway?

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you type in her name in google and see how this is being reported and commented on you might get what I mean.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I just find it bizarre that your first reaction to a woman literally getting away with attempted murder - which story is obviously more about the privileges of wealth, class and education than it is about gender, but never mind - is try to bend it into your narrative of universal female victimhood. Well actually I don't, because it's entirely in keeping with the stuff you've been coming out with for ages, but it is nuts.

Clearly the public reaction to a case like this is far more important to you than the case itself, which is telling. Because, you know, people are giving this woman a hard time, so she's the real victim here, obviously.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I can see both sides of the argument here. It's outrageous that this woman didn't get treated in the same way as someone of 'less talent' would, given the judge states that that's what has happened. The decision is about wealth, class and education, in that these determined the outcome of the case.

But the way it's been reported is about gender. With a woman who's committed a violent crime, the media rules are different and harsher than for men. So I think this woman deserved to go to prison (or rather to be treated equally as anyone else - don't especially think prison helps anyone, especially where there are issues of past abuse), but that a lot of the media coverage is misogynist, and has nothing to do with the public interest. Both can be true. Notable that no report I read said anything about the condition of the guy she stabbed! Not interested in that...

I have a problem in general with these kind of cases getting blanket coverage. There was a case this week in Kent where a kid had killed his stepdad with a single punch, maintaining that it was in self-defence, and was let off. The exact detail of the case is not known to the media, and yet there's loads of salacious coverage of it because he's a 17 year old. Is this really news?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well whatever the (manifold) problems there are in our media culture, that's a separate issue from the miscarriage of the case itself.

I don't know if the media is necessarily harsher on women than on men in cases like this. I think it's more complicated than that. On one hand, much of the media effectively tried Amanda "Foxy Knoxy" Knox in absentia and decided she was guilty of Meredith Kercher's murder because she 'looked the sort' and because there was (allegedly) sex involved, and everyone loves a femme fatale. OTOH, I remember the media being overwhelmingly defensive of Louise Woodward, who of course turned out to be guilty as sin, because she was kind of baby-faced and innocent-looking. So it can certainly go both ways.