alex

Do not read this.
I'm talking about just going for a snooze, not even lifting the lid up. There used to be a storeroom in the old building I worked in where I kipped a couple of times in a chair for people with dodgy backs, very comfy.

That is like, my dream. The amount of times I have attempted the ‘drunken cubicle kip’ and I just can never get comfy, and it is always the back. The toilet roll works great as a pillow mind.

I would seriously go out a lot more in the week if I could rely on such a god send. There isn’t even any store/back rooms in my place. There is a banging couch in my reception which I have been tempted just to go and lie on at lunch, and just be like ‘fuck it, fuck off, I’m fucked.’ if anyone says anything.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I just picked up a Stephen Fry book for some light reading on holiday and noticed on the back that some witless ninny has described it as "a Count of Monte Cristo for the dot.com generation". Now even if we ignore the utter fatuity of the concept of a ".com generation" - I think the reviewer just wants us to know he's aware of this newfangled computer interweb business - what the fuck is a "dot.com"? A dotdotcom, that is.

Old people: don't try and make out that you're conversant with the internet when you know nothing about it beyond a mangled catchphrase.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
On the subject of sleeping on the Job, I once did some work for my mother while I was on uni holidays years ago. She was at an advertising agency (eww) and they needed various stuff moved up the road to a rented storage place inside a great big old factory type building. It was the middle of summer (at least, in my memory it was) and this building was bloody hot - un-air-conditioned with a corrugated iron roof. All the little segments where divvied up via chicken wire on bare timbre framing so most of it wasn't very private, but the cubical I was going in and out of was completely walled in with cardboard boxes stacked up. I don't quite know how it happened but I fell asleep in there on a massive pile of foam during the late morning (some time before 12) and woke up after 5pm - after they'd locked up for the day. I got down to the ground floor just as the staff were leaving which was lucky cos if they'd set the alarms it might have taken some explaining.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I just picked up a Stephen Fry book for some light reading on holiday and noticed on the back that some witless ninny has described it as "a Count of Monte Cristo for the dot.com generation". Now even if we ignore the utter fatuity of the concept of a ".com generation" - I think the reviewer just wants us to know he's aware of this newfangled computer interweb business - what the fuck is a "dot.com"? A dotdotcom, that is.

Old people: don't try and make out that you're conversant with the internet when you know nothing about it beyond a mangled catchphrase.

That ph@se when @spir@nt m@rketing and br@nding w@nkers used the @ mark in pl@ce of the letter "a" r@ther th@n the sound /at/ @lw@ys ... yeah, that did my head in.

Luckily that died down almost as quickly as the iPhase of making iProducts seem sophisticated by iPiggybacking on the iPhone iBrand.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
^ Nah, I've played with the app that the guy said he used many a time and it always comes out like that. Paul's Extreme Stretch or whatever it's called. It's free, there are Mac and PC versions, if anyone wants to play with it.

I took a Kiwi song called 'Six Months In A Leaky Boat' and stretched it to six months long. Ridiculously powerful app.

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
That ph@se when @spir@nt m@rketing and br@nding w@nkers used the @ mark in pl@ce of the letter "a" r@ther th@n the sound /at/ @lw@ys ... yeah, that did my head in.

Luckily that died down almost as quickly as the iPhase of making iProducts seem sophisticated by iPiggybacking on the iPhone iBrand.

oh no, it still haunts us, renaults new car the imusic...

why the fuck does everything have to have an I in front of it?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
As if Ryanair isn't head-doing-in enough by itself, it bothers me that they consider a secquence like 'VFYMUA' to be a booking "number".

Good call on the '@' sign - you even see it in the names of bars sometimes, just utterly terrible.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Haha, nice. :D

Thinking about it more, something like "the c@ s@ on the m@" seems pretty much every bit as crazy as "the c@t s@t on the m@t". It's all shit. It's just the really nasty ones where the @ is substituted in the middle of a dipthong that drive me nuts. Something like "ki@ora" for example. What?

As for Renault I-Music!! Gah! OK, car names never make much sense, but "music" ... fuuuuck!

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
It's just the really nasty ones where the @ is substituted in the middle of a dipthong that drive me nuts. Something like "ki@ora" for example. What?

I count myself lucky having never seen that in the wild - notwithstanding I answer my cellphone with Kia Ora all the time - throws people off something chronic.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11317441

One of the Pope's senior advisers has pulled out of the papal visit to Britain, after saying the UK is a "Third World country" marked by "a new and aggressive atheism".

Cardinal Walter Kasper, 77, made the remarks in a German magazine interview.

The Vatican said the cardinal had not intended "any kind of slight", and was referring to the UK's multicultural society.
I can't actually decide what part of this offends me the most...

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
More from work:

Having to induct someone to the point where you're having to explain very basic computer/other processes to them (or slightly less basic ones, that you have worked out yourself with no help through the magic of initiative), thus ensuring that you're virtually doing their job for them at the same time. Ffs.

Yep. Also quite annoying is spending a decent chunk of your working time correcting other peoples' mistakes and ommissions. But hey-ho, I'm sure others have had to do similar things for me in the past.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yep. Also quite annoying is spending a decent chunk of your working time correcting other peoples' mistakes and ommissions. But hey-ho, I'm sure others have had to do similar things for me in the past.

For sure. But most of many people's working lives is spent in some way or other correcting someone's fuck-up. if only people would be genuinely efficient, the three-day week could be a reality for many...

grizzleb

For sure. But most of many people's working lives is spent in some way or other correcting someone's fuck-up. if only people would be genuinely efficient, the three-day week could be a reality for many...
When computers were first coming about they told people that the three day week was coming. Turns out you just do the same number of hours but crank out more work. I think a four day week would be a brilliant thing, I would hope most people would take a 20% pay cut to make it happen. You could take an axe to unemployment too this way.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think a four day week would be a brilliant thing, I would hope most people would take a 20% pay cut to make it happen. You could take an axe to unemployment too this way.

...and with the savings made by having far fewer people claiming benefits, you could lower income tax, making everyone's salary go further...