Iraq: U.S. Troop and Mercenary Escalations

crackerjack

A good outcome for pretty much everyone (well, not quite everyone) -- e.g. good to see the Sadrists and the SoI get some (but not too much) market share.

You and your bloody acronyms. SoI = ? x of islam? x of Iraq?

Yeah, you definitely want Sadr inside the tent, esp if Iran is feeling a lil pissed at the eclipse of ISCI.

vimothy

yurp
Sorry, pushed for time -- bad habit I know.

SoI = Sons of Iraq/Awakening affiliated Sunni minority types. Def need to be represented.

The Sadrists, contra the mainstream press, are actually quite anti-Iranian. The irony of the USA aiding an Iranian party (ISCI) fight the Sadrists (broadly, religious Shia Iraqi nationalists -- it does get vastly more complicated than that, though) under the banner of anti-Iranian offensives was sadly lost on most. Read Reidar Visser -- he's the academic who knows more about the politics of Southern Iraq than anyone else -- I can't recommend him enough -- plus, he even has a blog, so you've no excuse.

crackerjack

The Sadrists, contra the mainstream press, are actually quite anti-Iranian.

Didn't know that, I must admit. Thought the differences were personal (ie Sadr lacked the necessary religious scholarship) and a bit class-related (Sadr being more urban and marginally less theocratic).

Read Reidar Visser -- he's the academic who knows more about the politics of Southern Iraq than anyone else -- I can't recommend him enough -- plus, he even has a blog, so you've no excuse.

Just the need to earn a living (sigh).

vimothy

yurp
Didn't know that, I must admit. Thought the differences were personal (ie Sadr lacked the necessary religious scholarship) and a bit class-related (Sadr being more urban and marginally less theocratic).

The Sadrists are quite diverse (e.g. not necessarily all aligned with Muqtada), but certainly in the south are generally anti-Iranian (but don't misunderstand that -- I mean anti-Iranian as in independent), anti-Federalist, nationalist, and not totally hostile to Iraqi Sunnis. America basically got into bed with ISCI because they can speak better English. There were some great papers written on this over the last year or two. The better US officers (the ones that can speak Arabic) were going a bit nuts over it. When I get a chance (see below), I will try to dig them out.

Just the need to earn a living (sigh).

Yeah, it sucks.

vimothy

yurp
In da club

Tom Ricks is saying that Obama's plan for withdrawal to 30,000 troops by 2010 is Bush-like in its optimism.

Still, note the security gains and night life in Iraq:

PH2009022702870.jpg

scottdisco

rip this joint please
WaPo

Iraq's national security adviser said Friday that the government intends to move an Iranian opposition group from its sanctuary near the Iranian border to a location where leaders and "brainwashed cult members" will be separated and the latter "detoxified."

Mowaffak al-Rubaie's remarks about the future of the Mujaheddin-e Khalq, or MEK, were his most detailed to date on how his government intends to deal with an issue that has been an irritant in relations between Iraq's government, which has built close ties with Iran, and the U.S. government. The group received support from Saddam Hussein's government and has been designated a terrorist organization by the State Department, but U.S. officials credit the MEK with providing information about Iran's nuclear program.
At one point in his remarks, Rubaie said Iraq would not forcibly deport MEK members because "we are a civilized country." But later, he said the Iraqi government would have a "thick skin" when it came to any negative press or international outcry generated by the eventual repatriation of members.

to be clear, three obvious points that i just want to flag up, as some parliamentarians and Telegraph columnists get confused on point 3.

(i) it is to be deplored, this talk of deportations.
(ii) the MEK did grass up the nuclear program of Iran.
(iii) the MEK are, indeed, a brainwashing cult.

well said Mr al-Rubaie on that point.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Sheik Hamid al-Hayess is not optimistic. A burly man with a thick black mustache and closely knitted brows, he is one of the founding members of the Anbar Awakening. The grouping of Sunni tribal sheiks in the once al-Qaeda–infested western province turned against the insurgents and sided with the U.S. military, providing the model for what became a nationwide campaign known as the Sahwa. But that model is in trouble. "The Sahwa has been infiltrated by al-Qaeda," he says somberly. "A civil war is coming."

?

(background on 'Abu Omar al-Baghdadi' here.)

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Jon Stewart savaged the 30 senators, all Republican, who voted against the amendment last night. here's the video. my favorite bit is probably Jeff Sessions, who has moved solidly into #2 on my idiots in the Senate list (#1 is Tom Coburn, who is just in a class by himself). John Ensign, he of the affair w/his buddy's wife, also voted against it, which is cool. he's a born-again Xtian who has always been super pro-marriage (for straight people). you have to love the way these guys consistently stick to the moral high ground. all things through the power of Christ, I guess, even sanctioning gang rape.

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
my idiots in the Senate list (#1 is Tom Coburn, who is just in a class by himself

heh-heh.

wholly OT but i just wanted to note that my least fave is quite possibly Coburn's fellow Oklahoman, James Inhofe, a man who is pretty much devoid of intelligence.

but aye, those two are in out in front i think, Coburn's just a mentalist frankly.
his lodging mates in DC are a positively barking bunch.

gods pity OK.