are brits the weirdest euros?

zhao

there are no accidents
sorry i've been on this board too long and learnt to take a piss with every comment... :confused: :eek:

does sound great, the list of good chinese places and such. i sometimes miss food from the motherland very, very much... especially the kind my family makes... the places i've been to here in Berlin are pretty awful. and i hear there is only 1 good sushi joint here - a buffet :eek:

and would be very nice to hang out and possibly meet some dissensians in person. as it is i don't think i have any friends currently living in London.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
When I've been to America I've noticed that so many things are almost, but not quite, the same, and it's the not quite that catches you out.

A case in point being a Thai restaurant in Chicago, in which the plastic filter thingies in the urinals boldly proclaim SAY NO TO DRUGS. It's just as well I was going to the toilet anyway, I fear I'd have pissed myself laughing otherwise.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
sorry i've been on this board too long and learnt to take a piss with every comment... :confused: :eek:

does sound great, the list of good chinese places and such. i sometimes miss food from the motherland very, very much... especially the kind my family makes... the places i've been to here in Berlin are pretty awful. and i hear there is only 1 good sushi joint here - a buffet :eek:

and would be very nice to hang out and possibly meet some dissensians in person. as it is i don't think i have any friends currently living in London.

yeah man totally get in touch when you get here, and if I'm here, let's go eat!

Guybrush

Dittohead
Someone on ILX posted a link to this article, which I found very readable:

Generation F*cked: How Britain Is Eating Its Young

I have to say that Britain seems quite a bleak place at the moment. My brother’s impression—from working in Bournemouth for a year and having lived in several other European cities—was that Britain differed negatively from the rest of Europe mainly in how surprisingly commonplace petty violence (e.g. bare-knuckle fights) and rudeness was. («Surprisingly», as the stereotype of the mannerly British gentleman is widespread still.) His recollections, combined with what I have read on this board and elsewhere, got me thinking if not a major difference between Britain and the rest of Europe is which values are cherished and why. My impression is that British society does not seem driven by middle-class, wannabe-bourgeois values to the extent that most other European societies are, but rather by a hotchpotch of conflicting values.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You could well be onto something there, Guybrush. I think the problem is compounded by the increasingly common attitude that it's somehow embarassing to be middle-class - a view often held by middle-class people themselves - and the disdain among many working-class and some middle-class people that manners, politeness and so on are old-fashioned, fuddy-duddy or simply 'sad' (to say nothing of 'gay').

Fortunately the backlash is beginning! http://www.thechap.net/ :D
OriginalChapLogo.gif

swears

preppy-kei
Chavs (or scallies as they are known up here) baffle me. Why would you want to live like that? The constant rage, the frustration, the petty violence and boredom. Not to mention the crap clothes.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Chavs (or scallies as they are known up here) baffle me. Why would you want to live like that? The constant rage, the frustration, the petty violence and boredom. Not to mention the crap clothes.

That's just the kind of attitude I've come to expect from smug borgeois middle-class NEO-LIBERAL FASCISTS with no appreciation of how hard it is to bring up kids with only the dole, housing benefit, child benefit and child support payments to live on, blah blah drone rant *wheeze* *dribble* *fart*...

swears

preppy-kei
Mr Tea: (even though you are kidding)

I don't blame anyone for being poor, (and anyway a lot of chavs come from comfortable backgrounds) if the only employment option I had was McDonald's, I'd sign on. I spent 4 months on the dole after I left college, so I don't begrudge anyone that.
It's just the aggressive behaviour. The amount of grief it causes, for them as well as others.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh sure, I agree. I think a large part of it comes both from the Thatcherite ethos of "Look after Number One" and (at the rist of sounding like a certain T. Blair, esq., MP) a culture than emphasises rights over responsibilities.

/my 2p