The problem in Israel-Palestine is that of Zionism, not Judaism [just as the problem in Germany was Nazism, not Christianity].
Originally Posted by Drowned in Tea
"Hitler's legal power was based upon the 'Enabling Act', which was passed quite legally by the Reichstag and which allowed the Fuehrer and his representatives, in plain language, to be what they wanted, or in legal language, to issue regulations having the force of law. Exactly the same type of act was passed by the Knesset [Israeli's Parliament] immediately after the 1067 conquest granting the Israeli governor and his representatives the power of Hitler, which they use in Hitlerian manner."
- Dr. Israel Shahak, Chairperson of the Israeli League for Human and Civil Rights, and a survivor of the Bergen Belsen concentration camp, Commenting on the Israeli military's Emergency Regulations following the 1967 War. Palestine, vol. 12, December 1983.
"The Palestinians" would be crushed like grasshoppers ... heads smashed against the boulders and walls."
- Israeli Prime Minister, Yitzhak Shamir, in a speech to Jewish settlers New York Times April 1, 1988
"We declare openly that the Arabs have no right to settle on even one centimeter of Eretz Israel... Force is all they do or ever will understand. We shall use the ultimate force until the Palestinians come crawling to us on all fours."
- Rafael Eitan, Chief of Staff of the Israeli Defense Forces - Gad Becker, Yediot Ahronot
13 April 1983, New York Times 14 April 1983.
"When we [followers of the prophetic Judaism] returned to Palestine...the majority of Jewish people preferred to learn from Hitler rather than from us."
- Martin Buber, to a New York audience, Jewish Newsletter, June 2, 1958.
"Among the most disturbing political phenomena of our time is the emergence in the newly created State of Israel of the Freedom Party (Herut), a political party closely akin in its organization, method, political philosophy and social appeal to the Nazi and Fascist parties."
[Begin and Yitzhak Shamir, who were members of the party, became Prime Ministers.]
- Albert Einstein, Hanna Arendt and other prominent Jewish Americans, writing in The New York Times, protest the visit to America of Menachem Begin, December 1948.
"Spirit the penniless population across the frontier by denying it employment... Both the process of expropriation and the removal of the poor must be carried out discreetly and circumspectly."
- Theodore Herzl, founder of the World Zionist Organization, speaking of the Arabs of Palestine,Complete Diaries, June 12, 1895 entry.
"We have to kill all the Palestinians unless they are resigned to live here as slaves."
- Chairman Heilbrun of the Committee for the Re-election of General Shlomo Lahat, the
mayor of Tel Aviv, October 1983.
"We walked outside, Ben-Gurion accompanying us. Allon repeated his question, What is to be done with the Palestinian population?' Ben-Gurion waved his hand in a gesture which said ‘Drive them out’”
- Yitzhak Rabin, leaked censored version of Rabin memoirs, published in the New York Times, 23 October 1979.
"We must use terror, assassination, intimidation, land confiscation, and the cutting of all social services to rid the Galilee of its Arab population."
- Israel Koenig, "The Koenig Memorandum"
“We must expel Arabs and take their places."
- David Ben Gurion, future Prime Minister of Israel, 1937, Ben Gurion and the Palestine
Arabs, Oxford University Press, 1985.
"Zionist colonization must either be terminated or carried out against the wishes of the native population. This colonization can, therefore, be continued and make progress only under the protection of a power independent of the native population - an iron wall,
which will be in a position to resist the pressure to the native population. This is our policy towards the Arabs... Zionism is a colonization adventure and therefore it stands or falls by the question of armed force. It is important... to speak Hebrew, but, unfortunately, it is even more important to be able to shoot - or else I am through with playing at colonizing.""
- Vladimir Jabotinsky, founder of Revisionist Zionism (precursor to Likud), The Iron Wall, 1923.
" It lies upon the people's shoulders to prepare for the war, but it lies upon the Israeli army to carry out the fight with the ultimate object of erecting the Israeli Empire."
- Moshe Dayan (Israel Defense and Foreign Minister), on February 12 1952. Radio "Israel."
"Jewish villages were built in the place of Arab villages. You do not even know the names of these Arab villages, and I do not blame you because geography books no longer exist. Not only do the books not exist, the Arab villages are not there either. Nahlal arose in the place of Mahlul; Kibbutz Gvat in the place of Jibta; Kibbutz Sarid in the place of Huneifis;
and Kefar Yehushua in the place of Tal al-Shuman. There is not a single place built in this country that did not have a former Arab population."
- Moshe Dayan, address to the Technion, Haifa, reported in Haaretz, April 4, 1969.
"It is the duty of Israeli leaders to explain to public opinion, clearly and courageously, a
certain number of facts that are forgotten with time. The first of these is that there is no
Zionism, colonialization or Jewish State without the eviction of the Arabs and the expropriation of their lands."
- Yoram Bar Porath, Yediot Aahronot, of 14 July 1972.
"There was no such thing as Palestinians, they never existed."
- Golda Maier Israeli Prime Minister June 15, 1969
" [The Palestinians are] beasts walking on two legs."
- Menahim Begin, speech to the Knesset, quoted in Amnon Kapeliouk, "Begin and the Beasts". New Statesman, 25 June 1982.
"Israel should have exploited the repression of the demonstrations in China, when world
attention focused on that country, to carry out mass expulsions among the Arabs of the
- Benyamin Netanyahu, then Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister, former Prime Minister of
Israel, tells students at Bar Ilan University, From the Israeli journal Hotam, November
"Everybody has to move, run and grab as many hilltops as they can to enlarge the
settlements because everything we take now will stay ours... Everything we don't grab
will go to them."
- Ariel Sharon, Israeli Foreign Minister, addressing a meeting of militants from the
extreme right-wing Tsomet Party, Agence France Presse, November 15, 1998.
"Every time we do something you tell me America will do this and will do that . . . I want to tell you something very clear: Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it."
- Israeli Prime Minister, Ariel Sharon, October 3, 2001, to Shimon Peres, as reported on Kol Yisrael radio.
One of the most enduring and deceptive slogans of Zionism was coined by Israel Zangwill almost 100 years ago: Palestine was a "land without people for a people without land."
After paying a visit to Palestine in 1891, the Hebrew essayist Achad Ha-Am commented:
" Abroad we are accustomed to believe that Israel is almost empty; nothing is grown here and that whoever wishes to buy land could come here and buy what his heart desires. In reality, the situation is not like this. Throughout the country it is difficult to find cultivable land which is not already cultivated."