Boycotting Zionism

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Off topic (?):

Is hmlt P****** by another name? this particular brand of rhetoric seems familiar from before ...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You'd better watch yourself, Padraig - throwing your toys out of the pram like that could get you banned again, which really would be a terrible shame. :D

I don't mean to sabotage

But its not relevant here what you mean to do, it is what you are doing.

it's just your views on what constitutes rape are so questionable

Idlerich continues his sabotage of the thread subject, and in the very same sentence that he denies doing so!!!

No, it is your views on rape that are not only questionable, but downright farcical. You know perfectly well the context in which I was using it in this thread, of how particular conflicts are trivialized via willfull displacement - which is Teabag's - predictable bully that he is, he's now resorting to intimidation tactics ["You'll be banned if you expose my lunacy"] - twisted agenda here, and he doesn't even know it, so chronically obsessed as he undoubtedly is with abusing anything I post on this forum that he's willing to embrace far-right madness, anything that will serve to advance his pathology - and which I've pointed out numerous times already on this forum, but still goes radically denied and unheeded, to the point that we get amnesiac and hysterical responses from the likes of Zhou ("What's all this nonsense"), Eric and other smug - fellow-travelling - posters whenever I challenge or confront his insanity. Get a fucking life ... [And stay the fuck out of THAT argument].

Anyway, as you say, back to the matter in hand. The argument that a boycott of Israeli institutions is anti-semitic is obviously nonsense

It is a slur that is only advanced by Zionists and their defenders (and which only serves to delight actual neo-fascist anti-semites, which is hardly surprising given the close historical collaboration between Zionists and Nazis before and during WWII).

- the boycott would affect an English professor at an Israeli institution and not an Israeli professor at an English one.

Why the hypersensitive concern for the oppressors here? The boycott is an extremely modest, if not token, response to the daily oppression and slaughter of Palestinians by the Israeli killing machine. Only comprehensive sanctions (and an immediate termination of all US funding of that war machine) combined with a serious committment to their full implementation will end the killing. A sense of proper proportion is called for.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
which is Teabag's - predictable bully that he is, he's now resorting to intimidation tactics ["You'll be banned if you expose my lunacy"]
How can I 'intimidate' you with threats of banning when I'm not a mod?
I'm just filled with childish glee that you might kicked off for being such an obnoxious twat, that's all. :)
twisted agenda here, and he doesn't even know it, so chronically obsessed as he undoubtedly is with abusing anything I post on this forum
Ahaha! Your hypocrisy really knows no bounds, does it?
It is a slur that is only advanced by Zionists and their defenders (and which only serves to delight actual neo-fascist anti-semites, which is hardly surprising given the close historical collaboration between Zionists and Nazis before and during WWII).
Jesus, this is fucked up even by your standards. Tinfoil hat, sir?
A sense of proper proportion is called for.
You can say that again...

Edit: and as for posting a picture of an Israeli tank with a swastika crudely pasted onto it - I don't think I've ever seen (even from you) anything quite so infantile, offensive and hysterical in a supposedly serious 'political' debate. "The Jews act just like Nazis towards the Palestinians, which is kinda funny when you think about it, since the Nazis tried to kill all the Jews! Also, have you ever noticed that "God" spelled backwards is "dog"? Makes you think, huh?" Fuck off.

Last edited:
Zionism, The Holocaust, and Nazism

I and the public know
What all schoolchildren learn,
Those to whom evil is done
Do Evil in return.

- - - W H Auden​

Joseph Weitz was the director of the Jewish National Land Fund… On
December 19, 1940, he wrote: ‘It must be clear that there is no room for both
peoples in this country… The Zionist enterprise so far… has been fine and
good in its own time, and could do with ‘land buying’—but this will not bring
about the State of Israel; that must come all at once, in the manner of a Salvation
(this is the secret of the Messianic idea); and there is no way besides
transferring the Arabs from here to the neighboring countries, to transfer them
all; except maybe for Bethlehem, Nazareth and Old Jerusalem, we must not
leave a single village, not a single tribe’
…There were literally hundreds of
such statements made by Zionists
. ” ---Edward Said, “The Question of Palestine.”

For me, this business called the state of Israel is finished…I can’t bear to
see it anymore, the injustice that is done to the Arabs, to the Beduins. All
kinds of scum coming from America and as soon as they get off the plane
taking over lands in the territories and claiming them for their own… I can’t
do anything to change it. I can only go away and let the whole lot go to hell
without me
.” --Israeli actress (and household name) Rivka Michaeli, quoted in Israeli
peace movement periodical, “The Other Israel”, August 1998.

It seems some posters here need a little history lesson, and from a Jewish perspective.

Via Jews For Justice at If America Knew
origcover.jpg

The Holocaust is often used as the final argument in favor of Zionism, but
is this connection justified? There are several aspects to consider in answering
that question honestly. First, we will examine the historical record of what the
Zionist movement actually did to help save European Jewry from the Nazis.

Shamir proposes an alliance with the Nazis

“As late as 1941, the Zionist group LEHI, one of whose leaders, Yitzhak
Shamir, was later to become a prime minister of Israel, approached the Nazis,
using the name of its parent organization, the Irgun (NMO)…[Their proposal
stated:] ‘The establishment of the historical Jewish state on a national and
totalitarian basis and bound by a treaty with the German Reich would be in
the interests of strengthening the future German nation of power in the Near
East… The NMO in Palestine offers to take an active part in the war on
Germany’s side’….The Nazis rejected this proposal for an alliance because, it
is reported, they considered LEHI’s military power ‘negligable.’ ” Allan
Brownfield, “The Washington Report on Middle Eastern Affairs”, July/August 1998.

Wasn’t the main goal of Zionism to save Jews from the Holocaust?

“In 1938 a thirty-one nation conference was held in Evian, France, on re-settlement
of the victims of Nazism. The World Zionist Organization refused
to participate, fearing that resettlement of Jews in other states would reduce
the number available for Palestine.” John Quigley, “Palestine and Israel: A Chal-lenge
to Justice.”

Main goal of Zionism – continued

“It was summed up in the meeting [of the Jewish Agency’s Executive on
June 26, 1938] that the Zionist thing to do ‘is belittle the [Evian] Conference
as far as possible and to cause it to decide nothing…We are particularly wor-ried
that it would move Jewish organizations to collect large sums of money for
aid to Jewish refugees, and these collections could interfere with our collection
efforts’…Ben-Gurion’s statement at the same meeting: ‘No rationalization can
turn the conference from a harmful to a useful one. What can and should be
done is to limit the damage as far as possible.’ ” Israeli author Boas Evron, “Jew-ish
State or Israeli Nation?”

“[Ben-Gurion stated,] ‘If I knew that it was possible to save all the children
in Germany by transporting them to England, but only half of them by trans-porting
them to Palestine, I would choose the second—because we face not
only the reckoning of those children, but the historical reckoning of the Jew-ish
people.’ In the wake of the Kristallnacht pogroms, Ben-Gurion commented
that ‘the human conscience’ might bring various countries to open their doors
to Jewish refugees from Germany. He saw this as a threat and warned: ‘Zionism
is in danger.’ ” Israeli historian, Tom Segev, “The Seventh Million.”

“The Zionist movement…interfered with and hindered other organizations,
Jewish and non-Jewish, whenever it imagined that their activity, political or
humanitarian, was at variance with Zionist aims or in competition with them,
even when these might be helpful to Jews, even when it was a question of life
and death…Beit Zvi documents the Zionist leadership’s indifference to saving
Jews from the Nazi menace except in cases in which the Jews could be brought
to Palestine…[e.g.] the readiness of the dictator of the Dominican Republic,
Rafael Trujillo, to absorb one hundred thousand refugees and the sabotaging of
this idea—as well as others, like proposals to settle the Jews in Alaska and the
Philippines—by the Zionist movement…

“The obtuseness of the Zionist movement toward the fate of European Jewry
did not prevent it, of course, from later hurling accusations against the whole
world for its indifference toward the Jewish catastrophe or from pressing mate-rial,
political, and moral demands on the world because of that indifference.”
Israeli author Boas Evron, “Jewish State or Israeli Nation?”

Main goal of Zionism - continued

“Even David Ben-Gurion’s sympathetic biographer acknowledges that Ben-Gurion
did nothing practical for rescue, devoting his energies to post-war prospects. He
delegated rescue work to Yitzak Gruenbam, who [stated]. . . ‘They
will say that I am anti-Semitic, that I don’t want to save the Exile, that I don’t
a varm Yiddish hartz. . . Let them say what they want. I will not demand that the
Jewish Agency allocate a sum of 300,000 or 100,000 pounds sterling to help
European Jewry. And I think that whoever demands such things is performing
an anti-Zionist act.’

“Zionists in America. . . took the same position. At a May 1943 meeting of
the American Emergency Committee for Zionist Affairs, Nahum Goldmann
argued, ‘If a drive is opened against the White Paper (the British policy of
restricting Jewish immigration to Palestine) the mass meetings of protest against
the murder of European Jewry will have to be dropped. We do not have suffi-cient
manpower for both campaigns.’ ” Peter Novick, “The Holocaust in American
Life

“I have already gone exhaustively into the reason for our being here, rea-sons
that I as a pioneer of 1906 can affirm have nothing to do with the
Nazis!…We are here because this land is ours. And we are here because we
have again made it ours in this time with the work we have put into it. Nazism
and our history of martyrdom abroad do not concern our presence in Israel
directly.” David Ben-Gurion, “Memoirs.”

In hindsight, it is easy to say that the millions of Jews who were murdered in
the Holocaust could have been saved if Palestine had been available for unlimited
immigration. The history of this period is not so simple, however. First,
keep in mind that other realistic resettlement plans were proposed but actively
opposed by the Zionist movement. Second, the great majority of Jews in Eu-rope
were not Zionists and did not try to emigrate to Palestine before 1939.
Third, after the start of the war, as the Nazis occupied various countries, they
refused to let the Jews leave, making emigration virtually impossible. And Palestine,
as we have shown, was already occupied; the indigenous Arabs had
more valid reasons than any other country for wanting to limit Jewish immigration.​

Eric

Mr Moraigero
But isn't the point people have been trying to make not that there is no issue about the treatment of Palestinians by the Israeli state but whether a boycott of academic institutions (and the people who happen to work in them) is the best way of communicating the feeling that this treatment is not right? `Best' meaning a) most equitable in the sense of not targeting people who have little or no DIRECT responsibility for the problem and b) most effective in actual behavior change.

I'm sure there are lots of places to nitpick in the above, but you see what I'm trying to say (maybe)

But isn't the point people have been trying to make not that there is no issue about the treatment of Palestinians by the Israeli state but whether a boycott of academic institutions (and the people who happen to work in them) is the best way of communicating the feeling that this treatment is not right?

This is a political issue, not a spurious exercise in "communicating feelings"; that is an ideological variation on "yes, we're all for change, just so long as we don't actually have to change anything."

The best way would be for comprehensive sanctions to be immediately implemented, but in their absence you would here prefer to nit-pick about irrelevant trivia for purposes of avoiding all change, of rationalising the perpetuation of the status quo, of opposing and talking down all efforts at genuine change in Israel-Palestine.

`Best' meaning a) most equitable in the sense of not targeting people who have little or no DIRECT responsibility for the problem

But it is targeting those who have VERY MUCH responsibility, who have direct responsibility, who directly preside over - and often directly engage in - these crimes. Not targeting them is to facilitate and support their continued collusion in Israeli injustices and atrocities. And again, though it really isn't relevant, Israeli academics critical of the Zionist agenda and current Israeli policies and practices fully support the boycott.

Drowned in Tea said:
"The Jews act just like Nazis towards the Palestinians, which is kinda funny when you think about it, since the Nazis tried to kill all the Jews"

The problem in Israel-Palestine is that of Zionism, not Judaism [just as the problem in Germany was Nazism, not Christianity].

"Hitler's legal power was based upon the 'Enabling Act', which was passed quite legally by the Reichstag and which allowed the Fuehrer and his representatives, in plain language, to be what they wanted, or in legal language, to issue regulations having the force of law. Exactly the same type of act was passed by the Knesset [Israeli's Parliament] immediately after the 1067 conquest granting the Israeli governor and his representatives the power of Hitler, which they use in Hitlerian manner."

- Dr. Israel Shahak, Chairperson of the Israeli League for Human and Civil Rights, and a survivor of the Bergen Belsen concentration camp, Commenting on the Israeli military's Emergency Regulations following the 1967 War. Palestine, vol. 12, December 1983.

"The Palestinians" would be crushed like grasshoppers ... heads smashed against the boulders and walls."

- Israeli Prime Minister, Yitzhak Shamir, in a speech to Jewish settlers New York Times April 1, 1988

"We declare openly that the Arabs have no right to settle on even one centimeter of Eretz Israel... Force is all they do or ever will understand. We shall use the ultimate force until the Palestinians come crawling to us on all fours."

- Rafael Eitan, Chief of Staff of the Israeli Defense Forces - Gad Becker, Yediot Ahronot
13 April 1983, New York Times 14 April 1983.

"When we [followers of the prophetic Judaism] returned to Palestine...the majority of Jewish people preferred to learn from Hitler rather than from us."

- Martin Buber, to a New York audience, Jewish Newsletter, June 2, 1958.

"Among the most disturbing political phenomena of our time is the emergence in the newly created State of Israel of the Freedom Party (Herut), a political party closely akin in its organization, method, political philosophy and social appeal to the Nazi and Fascist parties."

[Begin and Yitzhak Shamir, who were members of the party, became Prime Ministers.]

- Albert Einstein, Hanna Arendt and other prominent Jewish Americans, writing in The New York Times, protest the visit to America of Menachem Begin, December 1948.

"Spirit the penniless population across the frontier by denying it employment... Both the process of expropriation and the removal of the poor must be carried out discreetly and circumspectly."

- Theodore Herzl, founder of the World Zionist Organization, speaking of the Arabs of Palestine,Complete Diaries, June 12, 1895 entry.

"We have to kill all the Palestinians unless they are resigned to live here as slaves."

- Chairman Heilbrun of the Committee for the Re-election of General Shlomo Lahat, the
mayor of Tel Aviv, October 1983.

"We walked outside, Ben-Gurion accompanying us. Allon repeated his question, What is to be done with the Palestinian population?' Ben-Gurion waved his hand in a gesture which said ‘Drive them out’

- Yitzhak Rabin, leaked censored version of Rabin memoirs, published in the New York Times, 23 October 1979.

"We must use terror, assassination, intimidation, land confiscation, and the cutting of all social services to rid the Galilee of its Arab population."

- Israel Koenig, "The Koenig Memorandum"

“We must expel Arabs and take their places."

- David Ben Gurion, future Prime Minister of Israel, 1937, Ben Gurion and the Palestine
Arabs, Oxford University Press, 1985.

"Zionist colonization must either be terminated or carried out against the wishes of the native population. This colonization can, therefore, be continued and make progress only under the protection of a power independent of the native population - an iron wall,
which will be in a position to resist the pressure to the native population. This is our policy towards the Arabs... Zionism is a colonization adventure and therefore it stands or falls by the question of armed force. It is important... to speak Hebrew, but, unfortunately, it is even more important to be able to shoot - or else I am through with playing at colonizing.""

- Vladimir Jabotinsky, founder of Revisionist Zionism (precursor to Likud), The Iron Wall, 1923.

" It lies upon the people's shoulders to prepare for the war, but it lies upon the Israeli army to carry out the fight with the ultimate object of erecting the Israeli Empire."

- Moshe Dayan (Israel Defense and Foreign Minister), on February 12 1952. Radio "Israel."

"Jewish villages were built in the place of Arab villages. You do not even know the names of these Arab villages, and I do not blame you because geography books no longer exist. Not only do the books not exist, the Arab villages are not there either. Nahlal arose in the place of Mahlul; Kibbutz Gvat in the place of Jibta; Kibbutz Sarid in the place of Huneifis;
and Kefar Yehushua in the place of Tal al-Shuman. There is not a single place built in this country that did not have a former Arab population."

- Moshe Dayan, address to the Technion, Haifa, reported in Haaretz, April 4, 1969.

"It is the duty of Israeli leaders to explain to public opinion, clearly and courageously, a
certain number of facts that are forgotten with time. The first of these is that there is no
Zionism, colonialization or Jewish State without the eviction of the Arabs and the expropriation of their lands."

- Yoram Bar Porath, Yediot Aahronot, of 14 July 1972.

"There was no such thing as Palestinians, they never existed."

- Golda Maier Israeli Prime Minister June 15, 1969

" [The Palestinians are] beasts walking on two legs."

- Menahim Begin, speech to the Knesset, quoted in Amnon Kapeliouk, "Begin and the Beasts". New Statesman, 25 June 1982.

"Israel should have exploited the repression of the demonstrations in China, when world
attention focused on that country, to carry out mass expulsions among the Arabs of the
territories."

- Benyamin Netanyahu, then Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister, former Prime Minister of
Israel, tells students at Bar Ilan University, From the Israeli journal Hotam, November
24, 1989.

"Everybody has to move, run and grab as many hilltops as they can to enlarge the
settlements because everything we take now will stay ours... Everything we don't grab
will go to them."

- Ariel Sharon, Israeli Foreign Minister, addressing a meeting of militants from the
extreme right-wing Tsomet Party, Agence France Presse, November 15, 1998.

"Every time we do something you tell me America will do this and will do that . . . I want to tell you something very clear: Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it."

- Israeli Prime Minister, Ariel Sharon, October 3, 2001, to Shimon Peres, as reported on Kol Yisrael radio.

One of the most enduring and deceptive slogans of Zionism was coined by Israel Zangwill almost 100 years ago: Palestine was a "land without people for a people without land."

After paying a visit to Palestine in 1891, the Hebrew essayist Achad Ha-Am commented:
" Abroad we are accustomed to believe that Israel is almost empty; nothing is grown here and that whoever wishes to buy land could come here and buy what his heart desires. In reality, the situation is not like this. Throughout the country it is difficult to find cultivable land which is not already cultivated."​

Eric

Mr Moraigero
This is a political issue, not a spurious exercise in "communicating feelings"; that is an ideological variation on "yes, we're all for change, just so long as we don't actually have to change anything."

OK fair enough, but will this boycott genuinely force change on anyone? I don't really understand the difference between communicating something and `political issues.'

The best way would be for comprehensive sanctions to be immediately implemented, but in their absence you would here prefer to nit-pick about irrelevant trivia for purposes of avoiding all change, of rationalising the perpetuation of the status quo, of opposing and talking down all efforts at genuine change in Israel-Palestine.
Yes. I don't personallly have the power to implement sanctions on anyone. But who brought in this trivia? I guess I will stop nitpicking though.

Israeli academics critical of the Zionist agenda and current Israeli policies and practices fully support the boycott.

Just out of curiosity, should we read this as `all' or `some'?

Woebot

ASIDE (A Long Overdue Vicious Rant - And Warning)

[ Once again, Teatroll, FUCK OFF out of this forum ...

... you were given months of opportunity and leeway to end your persecutary, offensive and personally abusive trolling here but instead have continued on regardless. Not any more: now come the fucking fireworks, asshole. So now let's just see you handle the very real consequences of your irresponsible behaviour on (and where it becomes necessary, off) this forum, along with the little clique of loser piss-artists you associate with here ...

HA HA HA!!!

................ HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

.................................... This is going to be such FUN!!!!]

hml, have you any idea how childish this sounds? are you intent on exploring the issue of boycotting zionism or not?

i'm closing this thread temporarily.

vimothy

yurp
A voice from the other side (worth reading in full):

From the hellish to the ridiculous, the pattern is the same. Back at home, the Universities and Colleges Union has just voted for its members to "consider the moral implications of existing and proposed links with Israeli academic institutions".

Well, they could consider how work by scientists at the Technion in Haifa has led to the production of the drug Velcade, which treats multiple myeloma. Or they could look at the professor at Ben-Gurion University who discovered a bacteria that fights malaria and river blindness by killing mosquitoes and black fly.

Or they could study the co-operation between researchers at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, who have isolated the protein that triggers stress in order to try to treat post-traumatic stress disorder, and their equivalents at the Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology in Cambridge.

The main universities of Israel are, in fact, everything that we in the West would recognise as proper universities. They have intellectual freedom. They do not require an ethnic or religious qualification for entry. They are not controlled by the government. They have world-class standards of research, often producing discoveries which benefit all humanity. In all this, they are virtually unique in the Middle East.

- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/06/02/do0201.xml

" ... calls for boycotting Coca-Cola (not that there might not be other good reasons for doing this, but anyway) from anti-Zionist campagners, seemingly unaware of (or apathic towards) the fact that Coca-Cola is one of the biggest employers of Palestinians in the region."

Oh janey mack! What an outrageous oversight by such ignorant, "apathic" anti-Zionists!

Better call off the sanctions against Iran immediately: it's Coca-Cola plants there employ bucketfulls of anti-regime Iranians!

Better time travel and call off World War II: Coca-Cola's plants in Germany "employed" many Jews! [During World War II, Coca-Cola adopted an apparent policy of ignoring the practice of eugenics and anti-Semitism by Nazi Germany, while a number of Coke's senior executives in Germany were prominent members of the National Socialist German Workers Party.]

And better urgently call off the present international boycott of Coca-Cola products that directly resulted from the bottling company having hired paramilitary mercenaries to intimidate, kidnap, and assassinate workers and union leaders at its plants in Columbia in order to force down wages: the employees who haven't yet been so intimidated, kidnapped or assassinated might lose their jobs!

[In Perfect Harmony: In 2002, Coca-Cola, in return for millions of dollars in tax breaks from the Israeli government, build a new plant on land stolen from the Palestinians. The new plant employs around 700 Israelis. Coca-Cola Israel sponsers "training programmes" for its workers from the immigrant communities, especially from the former Soviet Union, who have not been brought up to speed in the zionist "culture" and who "often have difficulty integrating". The subject matter of the program includes the Israeli-Arab conflict. The workers attend weekly meetings where participants have to read and analyze texts. The organisation running the program, Meitar, is also funded by the Jewish Agency, and the Israeli Ministries of Education and Absorption. Things Go Better With Coke!]

In more perfect timing...

http://leninology.blogspot.com/2007/06/that-friendenemy-distinction-again.html

Coca Cola and gum arabic in Sudan.

Yes, Coca-Cola provides another excellent example of how Capital has become the master Universal Equivalent, the symbolic real underlying all discourse, effortlessly adjusting, appropriating, swallowing, and replicating everything in its path [mind you, BritArt philistine Hirst (TM) and his DeBeers merchandising stunt - better to promote diamonds (as Sacred Art) in an art gallery than in a boring jewellers any day - is in the same ball alley, especially with precious stones and metals being such a "smart" investment as bubble currencies nosedive]. I'm reminded of that old joke about the founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC), who, when quized about his opinion on African-Americans, responded with the question, "Do they like chicken?", a contemporary version of which would be asking Ryanair's chief executive, Michael O'Leary, what he thinks about Al Qaeda: "Do they like air travel?"

And in even more perfect synchronicity, Alan Dershowitz, the Harvard law professor referred to earlier in this thread who is intent on destroying Normal Finkelstein's academic career, strikes again: he has just threatened to wage a legal war against British academics who seek to cut links with Israeli universities (Harvard legal expert vows to sue lecturers boycotting Israel).

"I will obtain legislation dealing with this issue, imposing sanctions that will devastate and bankrupt those who seek to impose bankruptcy on Israeli academics," he told the Times Higher Education Supplement.

Very sporting of him (I wonder did he try this approach when he was an O. J. Simpson trial lawyer?). And Israel too, which has retaliated by threatening a British boycott: Israel's parliament is to debate a draft law today that could lead to a consumer boycott of all British goods, again surpassed in acting-out knee-jerk superiority by a proclamation by the former Chief Rabbi of Israel that it should "carpet bomb Gaza", just a few days after a U.N. human rights investigator criticised Israel for violating international law in the Gaza Strip through a "disproportionate" use of force and killing of civilians.

I'm dizzy. And now Amnesty International enters the fray with a just-published 45-page report, Enduring Occupation: Palestinians under siege in the West Bank, which sumarises the devastating impact of four decades of Israeli military occupation, and then marking the 40 years since the outbreak of the 1967 Middle East war with a call for Israel to dismantle West Bank settlements and roadblocks, for the Palestinians to end attacks on Israeli civilians and for the international community to monitor both sides, ie what practically every country on the planet has been repeatedly calling for throughout those four very same decades.

But I'm sure the World Bank and the IMF will think of something ...