Ghostbusters

craner

Beast of Burden
Wrong! Gremlins was one of the best Christmas films ever made. Ghostbusters is the best film ever made.

And the tense shift was deliberate, Luke.

jd_

"All right, who brought the dog?"

Yeah! ...but

What about Murray's Groundhog Day or Scrooged for best x-mas flick? And Gremlins 2 over Ghostbusters for best film of all time for the old monkey wrench twist...or maybe The Stupids with Tom [I'm My Own Grandpa] Arnold?

What about the great cartoon with the talking skull phone and the giant ape.. did that one make it over to you guys in England? They changed into their uniforms in an alternate dimenison, got dumped into it by their alarm clocks I think. It's actually older than the movie, so probably the movie's based on it although if it is they took a lot of liberties in the translation.

Last edited:

jd_

Um.. not sure why I thought Groundhogs Day was a good x-mas one, but since I've apparently thrown all criteria out the window I'd like to offer up Big Trouble In Little China as best x-mas film. Of all time naturally.

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
jd_ said:
What about the great cartoon with the talking skull phone and the giant ape.. did that one make it over to you guys in England? They changed into their uniforms in an alternate dimenison, got dumped into it by their alarm clocks I think. It's actually older than the movie, so probably the movie's based on it although if it is they took a lot of liberties in the translation.

Used to watch that as a kid, with Tracy the gorilla, yeah, fantastic, I'd love to see those again, the original pre-film Ghostbusters cartoons - the post-film cartoons were shithouse.

Woebot

havent seen it since i was a kid, but remember coming out of the cinema aged (must have been 9 or something) with that "punch the sky" feeling :D

the only other film i can remember affecting me so much was 'chariots of fire' kind of sprinted out of the cinema

the reflection of which filling me with.....

Gerard

I re-wathced Chariots of Fire the other day. Outrageous! Especially liked Nigel Havers doing the hurdles in the grounds of his stately home, his butler having balanced a glass of champagne at either end of each hurdle to test Havers' leaping precision. Dodi Fayed produced it.

For that punch the sky feeling: Back to the Future, Rocky IV, and War Games! :p

Woebot

Gerard said:
I re-wathced Chariots of Fire the other day. Outrageous! Especially liked Nigel Havers doing the hurdles in the grounds of his stately home, his butler having balanced a glass of champagne at either end of each hurdle to test Havers' leaping precision. Dodi Fayed produced it.

For that punch the sky feeling: Back to the Future, Rocky IV, and War Games! :p

Back to the Future, yeah precisely.

nick.K

gabba survivor
the skyscraper, the dogs jumping, the other universe in the fridge, unforgettable...

but the references were too american for me at the time : there was nothing innocent about the marshmellow man, the hearst was another bulky american car. More dissappointing was the 'business is booming' montage cop-out, way too short. I wanted hours of ghost catching, insight into them rather than a few screeching tires, phones being ansered and the spinning news paper clichee. Reading a lot on ghosts at the time i felt short changed.

and the PTA feeling was there, but it more likely came from walking out into the centre of a busy town on the Saturday before Xmas having been n New York for hours. My 'Germlins' screening was far more memorable. A 10:30 showing on a Sunday night. And we sat out for a a beer afterwards

[ none of these are reasons why 'ghostbusters' shouldn't be the greatest movie of all time ]