Occupying the Moral High Ground

crackerjack

While we're at the Guardian.

A £10m architectural centre built as a memorial to Stephen Lawrence, who was murdered in a racist attack 15 years ago, has been vandalised just a week after it opened, Guardian.co.uk can reveal.

Eight windows each worth £15,000 and designed by the Turner prizewinning artist Chris Ofili on the front of the new building in Deptford, south-east London, were destroyed overnight.

A Metropolitan police spokeswoman confirmed the attack was being treated as a racist incident.

"A number of windows had been broken and police were informed at 5.46am today. The hate crime unit at Lewisham CID are investigating the incident," she said.

Should this really be a lead story? And wasn't it utterly obvious that this would happen? Build a memorial by all means, but something less fragile might have been smarter.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/feb/14/lawrence.race

crackerjack

It's pretty sad, though. Vandalism is just such a depressinlgy pointless crime (even when it's not directed at a target as emotive as this one).

Oh, no question. It just strikes me a obvious, given SL's high profile and the number of racists about, that you don't spend £120,000 on something any twat with a brick can smash.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i always find it strange why money was spent around old compton street, especially on pubs that any twat with the internet, fertilizer and some nails can bomb.

girls with their skimpy clothing and lack of physical strength are an issue too.

btw, does anyone know what the world trade centre cost to build?

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
girls with their skimpy clothing and lack of physical strength are an issue too.

You've completely lost me here - how are they an "issue"? More vulnerable bomb targets, or something? Throw me a bone here. :slanted:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
sorry. mr c.jack's comments riled me somewhat. i see no difference between what he says and the 'she's asking to be raped' statements i occasionally come across

crackerjack

sorry. mr c.jack's comments riled me somewhat. i see no difference between what he says and the 'she's asking to be raped' statements i occasionally come across

Come off it, not my point at all. And in case there's any doubt what I meant, the people who did this are cunts.

Build a memorial, but when you know there are people out there who'll respond this way, don't make it such an easy target. Do you think the Lawrences have been well-served by such a visible reminder that some people are glad about what happened to Stephen?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i think stephen has been well served by a building that overtly highlights his desires and aspirations that were stolen from him by racist thugs- and therefore touches on the wider racism in GB society. i don't believe racist thugs should be offered statements that focus on the physical site as 'the problem' rather than their disgusting activities.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It would be nice if there were no racists, and it would be nice if there were no rapists. Unfortunately, there are, and there are. Furthermore, saying "It's my right to walk around on my own at night not wearing much" or "It's our right to build a large, visible and vulnerable memorial to the victim of a hate crime" does not protect you from the actions of cuntish people.

That said, I don't think such an attack on the Lawrence memorial was necessarily as predictable as some people are making out - then again, I don't live in Lewisham.

Edit: I totally agree with you matt, it's not the building's 'fault' it got attacked - I just think crackerjack is saying a bit more thought could have gone into the design, given that racism obviously didn't disappear when the Macpherson report was published.

Last edited:

crackerjack

i don't believe racist thugs should be offered statements that focus on the physical site as 'the problem' rather than their disgusting activities.

I wasn't offering racist thugs anything. If you choose to find some ambiguity in my statement that I really don't think is there then I can only reiterate the blame lies with the people who committed the crime.

it's not the building's 'fault' it got attacked - I just think crackerjack is saying a bit more thought could have gone into the design, given that racism obviously didn't disappear when the Macpherson report was published.

Exactly.