dancehall artists agree to reduce homophobic content

hucks

Your Message Here
hucks:

LCD soundsystem is just indie with (analogue synth) knobs on.

True. Just thought it was funny that Gumdrops only needs to <i> think </i> of articles and they appear in the Guardian. As superhero skills go it's, um, middling, I suppose.

gumdrops

True. Just thought it was funny that Gumdrops only needs to <i> think </i> of articles and they appear in the Guardian. As superhero skills go it's, um, middling, I suppose.

and what is your superhero skill??? hmmm? do tell...

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
That article is horrible in a sort vice meets british class snobbery style that is just shocking.

As far as how committed these guys, or any Jamaicans are to homophobia, that is an open question.

As my Jamaican friend put it "When Bob Marley sing about 'hypocrite and parasite' him sing about Jamaica. Everyting dem sing about. Dem sing 'don't smoke crack!' and dem smoke crack, dem sing 'don't suck pussy!' and dem suck pussy, dem sing 'burn battyman!' and PURE battyman a run around di place!"

Sorry if the patois reads a bit weird, I tried writing it in American english and it just didn't read right.

Look at Beenie Man, for years he copied and emulated John Bogle (RIP) even to the extent of calling himself "King of the Dancehall" but most notably in many of his fashion decisions. Bogle, if you've ever seen video of him, is a FLAMER. I have absolutely nothing but trememendous respect for him, and his achievements and contributions to the culture (don't flame me homophobes) but how can Beenie be a true homophobe when he is patterning himself after one of the most flamboyant characters in dancehall? Some say Beenie is gay, which might make sense in this context, but is definitely another topic.

Basically the point is, people are taking a lot of this musical, artistic and largely fictional expression as documentary. The reality is way different. For anyone who lives in NYC, consider the image portrayed by Rap, and the reality. A lot of these guys talking about busting guns and selling crack are security guards, work in call centers, supermarkets etc. They spit those lyrics because it's artistically current and seems more marketable than reality.

zhao

there are no accidents
you mean Gerald "Bogle" Levy?

Bogle%20moves.jpg

630427801_l.jpg
l_3ee8493bba7eeb725e109980cfc749ad.jpg

Last edited: