dancehall artists agree to reduce homophobic content

gumdrops

im not for a minute endorsing or even excusing homophobia in dancehall (although what dyou expect - jamaican culture as a whole isnt too accomodating to gays) but it would be nice just for once to see some articles on dancehall that dont go for the same old jugular over and over again. i know a lot of people are tired of the slackness, homophobia, etc etc (prob the same way ppl are tired of the same old money, cash hoes angle in hip hop for example) but there is and must be more to dancehall than that.

http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2102953,00.html
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/06/dancehall_reggaes_chequebook_c.html

john eden

male pale and stale
Quite possibly he is, but that doesn't excuse the downright ignorance of the article about the music, in general.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Quite possibly he is,

lol, demure. Yeah, I know, and the music is good, and they should have mentioned that rather than just another patronising article taking the mickey out of patois...but I totally gave up on the Guardian years back after they told us they wouldn't run an article about us 'because they hadn't featured us before', and faced with that sort of infallible logic I just wilt.

swears

preppy-kei
Always wondered: What does "slack" mean in dancehall tunes?
There was that one that goes "You slacker, you" I don't suppose it's anything to do with being a lazy sod.

john eden

male pale and stale
Always wondered: What does "slack" mean in dancehall tunes?
There was that one that goes "You slacker, you" I don't suppose it's anything to do with being a lazy sod.

Slackness is basically about explicit sexual references and/or bad language.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Hence it was funny when the BBC cricket commentators described the Windies fielding as being 'shockingly slack even by their standards'.

mos dan

fact music
Hence it was funny when the BBC cricket commentators described the Windies fielding as being 'shockingly slack even by their standards'.

lol.

sloane the guardian are on a whole other plane when it comes to logic, i agree: it's virtually a unique philosophy in itself. one which makes no sense at all and generally excludes all black music.

zhao

there are no accidents
good on them 3. now they need to go back and re-record all those songs with new lyrics! so i can drop them on the 1s and 2s guilt free. many times i've refrained to play an otherwise badass tune...

don't forget slackness also includes all the gun and murda talk. i think it means general a-moral content, the opposite of conscious.

i don't get that Collie Buddz article... may not have a PHD in comprehensive literature, but how does he make anyone "pee themselves laughing"? is Guardian just making fun of Patois? that's borderline racist innit.

anyone hear Sizzla's Judgement Yard Mixtape Vol. 4 - Dangerous Dancehall? unbelievably good. download a 30 minute excerpt of it here: http://differentwaters.blogspot.com/

gabriel

The Heatwave
oh my god that guardian article is SHOCKING

what exactly is funny about collie buddz, or what makes him a freak, i really don't get it

Blackdown

nexKeysound

Just as funny as when UK boxing commentators say re a UK black fighter's performance: "on the whole the crowd were receptive, though some elements of the crowd were booing..."

UFO over easy

online mahjong
sloane the guardian are on a whole other plane when it comes to logic, i agree: it's virtually a unique philosophy in itself. one which makes no sense at all and generally excludes all black music.

Dan, are you in a position to give Paul Lester a smack for that article? He quite clearly deserves it.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
oh my god that guardian article is SHOCKING

what exactly is funny about collie buddz, or what makes him a freak, i really don't get it

I don't wanna go too deep into him, I don't think he merits it, and don't know huge amounts - I'm not a fan though I think his voice is sweet - but to do Come Around and then write Mamacita, he's free to do it and experiment with styles and all musical forms. And I'm also free to call him a freak, there's something about him that's a bit too Sony for my liking.

And I just don't know why people are shocked at the Guardian writing that sort of stuff, they've been doing horrible class and race patronage for years, it's almost an editorial directive, laugh very hard in the face of the absurdly evil is what I'd say to it; they won't allow people in to give any other point of view from what I've seen. Which even the fucking Telegraph do.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Just as funny as when UK boxing commentators say re a UK black fighter's performance: "on the whole the crowd were receptive, though some elements of the crowd were booing..."
Eh? I was just thinking of unintentional innuendo, am I missing something?

gabriel

The Heatwave
I don't wanna go too deep into him, I don't think he merits it, and don't know huge amounts - I'm not a fan though I think his voice is sweet - but to do Come Around and then write Mamacita, he's free to do it and experiment with styles and all musical forms. And I'm also free to call him a freak, there's something about him that's a bit too Sony for my liking.

not sure what you're alluding to with the references to come around and mamacita? of course you're free to call him a freak, though i still don't really understand why - or why paul lester thinks the whole thing is so funny

And I just don't know why people are shocked at the Guardian writing that sort of stuff, they've been doing horrible class and race patronage for years, it's almost an editorial directive, laugh very hard in the face of the absurdly evil is what I'd say to it; they won't allow people in to give any other point of view from what I've seen. Which even the fucking Telegraph do.

yeah, to clarify - i'm not really shocked as in surprised, but it is a shocking(ly awful) article, that's what i meant

STN

sou'wester
It's just such tiresome, craven Guardian pisstaking, the article is so badly structured as to be quite confusing. This kind of journalism just reminds me of a nerdy kid at school trying to be one of the lads by trying to pick on another kid (and failing). It's quite embarrassing.

S

simon silverdollar

a friend of my mine is a commissioning editor for the Guardian's arts pages. i might e-mail her about this and ask her what the fuck is going on...