vimothy

yurp
I'm not sure that the leadership being involved makes death any more likely.

If I remember rightly people involved with both of those events received death threats.

A fatwa is a religious ruling. An analogy might be if the pope issued a religious edict instructing catholics to murder an author who had wrote a book about abortion, perhaps.

john eden

male pale and stale
A fatwa is a religious ruling. An analogy might be if the pope issued a religious edict instructing catholics to murder an author who had wrote a book about abortion, perhaps.

When is the last time an author (or other "creative") was actually put to death as the result of a fatwah?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Similarly the outcry against the Jerry Springer musical or that play which was critical of sikhs generated extremely muted support for its workers and writers."
Yeah, but nobody is saying that Rushdie got a Knighthood (or whatever it's called) for annoying people - he got it for his work (which you may or may not like) despite the fact that it pissed off a load of people. I personally think that that is a good thing because I don't like the idea that people can censor things that they don't like by making a big scary fuss.

bassnation

the abyss
I don't think artistic merit comes into it. I don't like Crass' track Reality Asylum but I don't think they should have been prosecuted because of its anti-religious sentiment.

Nor do I give a toss about whether or not Rushdie had any inkling about the reaction his work would inspire.

My point is that freedom of speech is a bit of a quagmire and it is only ever protected when that suits the needs of those that have the power to protect it.

but you can't argue that (non-famous) people who transgress these loonies strongly-held beliefs should be given support and then say, "well, apart from rushdie as he's rich, smug and i dislike him". consistency one way or another, surely?

john eden

male pale and stale
Yeah, but nobody is saying that Rushdie got a Knighthood (or whatever it's called) for annoying people - he got it for his work (which you may or may not like) despite the fact that it pissed off a load of people. I personally think that that is a good thing because I don't like the idea that people can censor things that they don't like by making a big scary fuss.

You don't think the Satanic Verses controversy might have cropped up in passing in some of the meetings which were held to discuss the shortlist, then?

vimothy

yurp
I don't think artistic merit comes into it. I don't like Crass' track Reality Asylum but I don't think they should have been prosecuted because of its anti-religious sentiment.

Nor do I give a toss about whether or not Rushdie had any inkling about the reaction his work would inspire.

My point is that freedom of speech is a bit of a quagmire and it is only ever protected when that suits the needs of those that have the power to protect it.

When I asked if they were good I meant in regards to being knighted, not in regards to not being persecuted by religious extremists. No one should be persecuted by religious extremists.

Think your last sentence is overstating the case somewhat.

john eden

male pale and stale
but you can't argue that people who transgress should be given support and then say, "well, apart from rushdie as he's rich, smug and i dislike him". argue for consistency one way or another, surely?

I'm merely pointing out the dynamic, not calling for legislation and ting. :)

I think Rushdie should have received protection, yes.

I don't think anybody should get a knighthood.

That seems pretty consistent to me.

vimothy

yurp
You don't think the Satanic Verses controversy might have cropped up in passing in some of the meetings which were held to discuss the shortlist, then?

Even if it did, don't you think that being an artist and an intellectual under the threat of death is heoic? More heroic and deserving of honours than say (for e.g.) being Elton John?

bassnation

the abyss
Even if it did, don't you think that being an artist and an intellectual under the threat of death is heoic? More heroic and deserving of honours than say (for e.g.) being Elton John?

elton john is not that bad. he's always championed very worthwhile causes such as sexual health / education etc, plus challenges homophobia. in fact if it wasn't for the religious nutter angle, i'd say hes much more deserving than rushdie.

vimothy

yurp
Robertson:

He suggested that American agents should assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez , and said the stroke that left Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon in a coma was God's punishment for Israel's withdrawal from the Gaza Strip.

In both cases he issued an apology within days.

Not quite the same thing, IMO.

And the fatwa still stands, BTW.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, but just how 'mainstream' is that guy? The Grand Ayatollah is Iran's supreme religious leader - the Pope of Shi'a Islam, in effect - and as such is the most powerful person in the country.

john eden

male pale and stale

How likely do you think it is that I will become King and get to decide who gets knighted?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Whether or not anyone's got round to killing him yet is immaterial. It can't be fun to live from day to day in the knowledge that you could be shot or blown to bits at any moment. (Although having said that, I can't imagine Rushdie spends his days cowering under his sofa. He wouldn't fit, for a start.)
It's a bit like defending a habitual drunk driver on the grounds that they haven't run anyone over (yet).

vimothy

yurp

Ok this is only one example but with the internet it's easy to find more:

Naguib Mahfouz, Egyptian novelist, nobel prize winner, defended Rushdie in public. Was sentenced to death by the Ayatollah and stabbed in the throat by Islamic militants in 1994.

EDIT: I was wrong, Mahfouz survived.

However, there's Ahmad Kasravi

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Whether or not anyone's got round to killing him yet is immaterial. It can't be fun to live from day to day in the knowledge that you could be shot or blown to bits at any moment. (Although having said that, I can't imagine Rushdie spends his days cowering under his sofa. He wouldn't fit, for a start.)
It's a bit like defending a habitual drunk driver on the grounds that they haven't run anyone over (yet).

It's a question of risk.

People are killed by drunk drivers every day.

On the evidence presented on this thread so far, no author has ever been killed as a result of a fatwah.

Rushdie is more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than by an abstemious jihadist.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
On the evidence presented on this thread so far, no author has ever been killed as a result of a fatwah.

See above!

Anyway, that's still missing the point - how many authors, or would-be authors, have been intimidated into silence by the mere threat of a fatwa?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Not quite the same thing, IMO."
Agreed - not quite.

"Yeah, but just how 'mainstream' is that guy?"
Well, he has a lot of followers - that's why it's big news every time he comes out with something like that.

My point is that Islam doesn't have a monopoly on religious maniacs (remember that fundies site you linked to?).