That film about Joe Strummer

john eden

male pale and stale
Screamers - nice one.

Agnostic Front - don't care.

I will fully admit that their music is rubbish, but as interviewees they acted as a fine counterpoint to the tediously worthy "oh yes well of course we were all very influenced by Rimbaud and Brecht" toss.

STN

sou'wester
Fair point.

Who out of The Germs did they have? I love that lot. The lyrics are surprisingly easy to read without cringing. Very poetic character vignettes if you ask me.

I do quite like Rimbaud, but I certainly don't want to hear some drug-addled wally mouthing off about him on Channel 4.

martin

----
Agnostic Front were always howling "YOU LIE!" and "YOU RIPPED ME OFF!" like some indignant, hysterical brat whose momma forgot to buy some Kool Aid. But, for all their supposed integrity and hatred of shysters, are the cunts ever going to refund me the 3 quid I once wasted on one of their LPs, which was wall to wall shite? At least No Remorse were funny.

john eden

male pale and stale
Can't remember who they had from The Germs, unfortunately - some live footage from back in the day tho.

I was doing the ironing in front of the telly so missed the subtitles explaining who was who.

Fuckin' Jim Jarmusch was on it tho, which was weird.

Also Glenn Branca still looks really fucked up (in a good way). Tho I don't think they had much in there about his symphonies for a million electric guitars, he was more of a "grandfather to sonic youth" role.

STN

sou'wester
I was doing the ironing in front of the telly so missed the subtitles explaining who was who.

Also Glenn Branca still looks really fucked up (in a good way). Tho I don't think they had much in there about his symphonies for a million electric guitars, he was more of a "grandfather to sonic youth" role.

Oh yeah, ironing's soooooooo punk etc etc.

Good old Glenn Branca, US Millie is a classic.

I do remember Agnostic Front being very, very cross indeed. if I want that sort of thing I'll go home for the weekend and hide my dad's newspaper.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
And surrealism.

Did anyone see that Don Letts thing last night? It was better than I thought - Rollins is always great to watch, innit.
Is it just me or is he starting to look increasingly like Paul Morley with muscles?

I thought it was pretty good on a factual level, although it almost completely missed any sort of social angle which might have added a bit of depth to it. I also get a bit bored with people banging on about punk is about this / punk isn't about that / Elvis was more punk than the Ramones / peas are more punk than sweetcorn or whatever. Fercrissakes people, punk was a couple of dozen junkies making a bit of a racket, anything beyond that you're projecting onto it. Generally worth watching, though.

Didn't really mind it being a bit US-centric since we've had all the stuff about the UK punk scene rehashed so many times over the years. It's not going to be long before they can abbreviate the Bill Grundy thing to just flashing up a picture of Bill Grundy half way through the docu and everyone will know what they mean... or do a Disney singalong songs version of it or something.

crackerjack

Didn't really mind it being a bit US-centric since we've had all the stuff about the UK punk scene rehashed so many times over the years.

I know, I know, I know, it's just that American punk (esp hardcore) is so terrible. The (post-)punk doc I'd like to see is the one about MCR - always consigned to the back burner because it didn't make news headlines, but produced just as much of impact and durability as that london.

martin

----
Oh yeah and martin would have been pleased to see that Ari Up featured quite prominently.

Oh great. So it's basically - the daughter of a newspaper heiress talking like a rasta an' ting, Richard Hell namedropping Rimbaud without even having read him, the only surviving New York Doll slurring about how cross-dressing shocked society, some rubbish band of black rastas playing the worst kind of white music bar polka, the only surviving Ramone trying to remember where the fuck they used to rehearse, Patti Smith droning "Horse...Gorse...", Henry Rollins gurning and buzzing like a sectioned catalogue model, Debbie Cunting Harry (the Gloria Hunniford of New Wave), and a bunch of vaguely 'skinhead' moaners who used to wear shorts and spend whole albums going "YOU WERE MY FRIEND / NOW YOU BETRAY ME!" - and that's Punk Attitude?! Well, thanks a fucking lot, Don! Christ, wild horses couldn't drag me to this documentary! You can stuff punk up your arse, I'd rather listen to skiffle!

matt b

Indexing all opinion
the clash is an anagram of lash-tech: d'n'b for s&m types

the clash didn't invent decent flood defenses. if only they had...

STN

sou'wester
I absolutely hate Richard Hell.

I'd watch the documentary just to see the bloke from the Screamers screaming 'Punish or be Damned' for three lifetimes.

To be honest though I watched Big Brother instead last night because, as a child of the 80s, I'm a worthless X Factor iPod Myspace MTV bakelite sheep.

john eden

male pale and stale
was that on terrestrial tv john?

USHC pisses on punk. admit it.

It was on babylonian freeview More 4 and ting.

The consensus on dissensus seems to be that USHC sucks balls.

Actually there was some Fugazi footage that was alright.

john eden

male pale and stale
the clash didn't invent decent flood defenses. if only they had...

... 2stepfan wouldn't be forced to stay round my gaff tonight and listen to a steady diet of the butthole surfers, blaggers ita, snuff and crucial youth.

:cool:

john eden

male pale and stale
Come to think of it there was naff all about Big Black and the Buttholes in that thing - just Sonic Youth from that "Blast First" set. Presumably because they were well arty and had a female singer.