That film about Joe Strummer

matt b

Indexing all opinion
... 2stepfan wouldn't be forced to stay round my gaff tonight and listen to a steady diet of the butthole surfers, blaggers ita, snuff and crucial youth.

:cool:

all of whom, apart from the blaggers are way better than the clash (although they're probably not as good inventors*, obv)

*the youth brush excepted

martin

----
know nothings ;)

I'd have maybe liked USHC more if the bands hadn't worn shorts and spent every bloody eight-track 7" calling each others' "scene credentials" bullshit / complaining about 'scene' hypocrisy or bragging about not drinking or fucking. Or doing songs about the KKK called "Hate Sucks!"

Mind you, Middle Class were OK.

john eden

male pale and stale
Punk Attitude: Dissensus Version

Thugee cult - Kali worshippin' imperialist stranglin' headcases.
Hasil Adkins
Lee Perry
Throbbing Gristle (with particular reference to Monte Cazzazza)
Aktionists - bonkers viennese post-war artists
Oi!
Neoists - Istvan kantor blood rituals
Shut Up And Dance
Burzum
Elephant Man

[add your own]

STN

sou'wester
Mind you, Middle Class were OK.

I like them. And the Adolescents. Mind you, I also like the Descendents who seem to have formed to celebrate the twin pleasures of flatulence and Pepsi drinking.

If The Dicks count I absolutely adore them.

7 Seconds, Dag Nasty, The Vandals et al can jump in the sea as far as I'm concerned.

Actually, Minor Threat ARE good if you think about it. I wouldn't want to go to the pub with them though.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I'd have maybe liked USHC more if the bands hadn't...and spent every bloody eight-track 7"... bragging about not drinking or fucking.

that reminds of some NYHC band whose name escapes me whose lyrics went:

"i'm not in a straight edge band, i don't wear Xs on my hands...[i can drink a couple of beers]... as you get older, you learn moderation"

fucking terrible

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Straight Edge has to be the stupidest subculture ever. Mind you, it fits in very well with the music: I think if I never ate meat, cheese, fish, chocolate or ice-cream, never drank alcohol, tea or coffee, never smoked or took drugs and never had sex, I'd probably want to listen to music that goes "AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!", as well.

STN

sou'wester
Didn't Crucial Youth have a song about the four food groups and also one about not swearing and giving up your seat for grannies on the bus?

Losers.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Didn't Crucial Youth have a song about the four food groups and also one about not swearing and giving up your seat for grannies on the bus?

Losers.

don't forget 'cross at the green not in-between' or 'be kind, rewind'

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Losers.

Ahaha. They sound like Ned Flanders's favourite band. :)

matt b

Indexing all opinion
So the only options are to be a pleasure-hating puritan, or a perma-pissed fuckhead? :slanted:

well, i'm not going to get into a discussion about the merits or otherwise of SxEx, as i am not, but it seems a fairly radical position, given society's norms