That film about Joe Strummer

crackerjack

god so much US hardcore is just self righteous angry boys who don't like their christian dad, but behave a hell of alot like him int they?

Rage for rage's sake. The only genre ever that looked and sounded like it was made on steroids rather than fun drugs.

Woebot

I met Joe Strummer in the early/mid 90s, he came in the exchange in notting hill where i used to work and had a go on a guitar or something.

that's funny because when i worked there i sold mick jones a copy of "raging bull". true story.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Not sure about Acid House Paul, but Mick Jones should take some credit for his part in Hip-Hop. I liked the Clash but figured Joe never got over being born middle class and I never really trusted him...

I never heard DJ Pierre, Adonis or Mark Imperial namecheck the Clash.
Nor did I hear their music at any rave ever.

Pretty sure that musically acid house has to do with trying to make dubby cover versions of disco records on cheap (at the time) japanese synths, not much connection to any previous music by british white people.

As far as the acid house thing blowing up in the UK, please could someone explain what that had to do with the Clash? Makes no sense to me.

I quite like that rap tune they did with Futura 2000 though.....

I never heard DJ Pierre, Adonis or Mark Imperial namecheck the Clash.
Nor did I hear their music at any rave ever. Apparently Larry Levan used to occassionally drop "the magnificent seven."

I'm pretty sure that musically house has to do with trying to make dubby cover versions of disco records on cheap (at the time) japanese synths, whilst also being influenced by prince, italo disco and UK synthpop. Acid house developed as an even-more-minimal version of house.

Not much connection to any UK guitar music as far as I can see.

Or are people referring not to the music but to the acid house scene that blew up in the UK at the end of the 80s? Please could someone explain what that had to do with the Clash? Makes no sense to me.

I quite like that rap tune they did with Futura 2000 though.....

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Pretty sure that musically acid house has to do with trying to make dubby cover versions of disco records on cheap (at the time) japanese synths, not much connection to any previous music by british white people.

I liked the fact that the kept on moving tho, Police and Thieves was the turning point I reckon. I also like the fact that they put on black artists that influenced them at gigs as well.

Oh yeah.... I'm not disagreeing, just wondering where this thing about them having something to do with starting acid house comes from.

john eden

male pale and stale
Oh yeah.... I'm not disagreeing, just wondering where this thing about them having something to do with starting acid house comes from.

Isn't it the return of the idea that any music that was invented by black people must have also involved white rock musicians "helping" them? Because, y'know they just aren't up to making things themselves?

mms

sometimes
I liked the fact that the kept on moving tho, Police and Thieves was the turning point I reckon. I also like the fact that they put on black artists that influenced them at gigs as well.

Yeah that police and thieves is as good as any pub covers band doing a cod reggae cover, lets applaud the clash for that one...
damn at least the slits did it with the understanding that they couldn't.

martin

----
Yeah that police and thieves is as good as any pub covers band doing a cod reggae cover, lets applaud the clash for that one...
damn at least the slits did it with the understanding that they couldn't.

I know I've said this before, and people think I've got some sinister agenda behind it, but white people just can't play reggae to save their lives. I used to love The Clash's version of "Police and Thieves" til I heard the original, which just blew it out of the water. As for the Slits, "Cut" sounds more like tinny 2-tone, I'd rather listen to the Selecter (who I'm not massively into anyway).

Isn't it the return of the idea that any music that was invented by black people must have also involved white rock musicians "helping" them? Because, y'know they just aren't up to making things themselves?

that was the impression I was getting....

It was this that really irked me:

The Clash and the scene around them helped invent acid house. Mick Jones especially was a crucial link. Oh how people forget their history.

Please tell me what history I am forgetting.

crackerjack

I know I've said this before, and people think I've got some sinister agenda behind it, but white people just can't play reggae to save their lives. I used to love The Clash's version of "Police and Thieves" til I heard the original, which just blew it out of the water. As for the Slits, "Cut" sounds more like tinny 2-tone, I'd rather listen to the Selecter (who I'm not massively into anyway).

But their Police & Thieves was nothing like Junior Murvin's and made no attempt at being a proper reggae record - it was a punk band covering a reggae song. Sure JM's was better, but I that's not the point.

(And just to really stir things up - their version of Armagideon Time shits on the Willie Williams original. More drama, more power, more passion. Fact)

john eden

male pale and stale
(And just to really stir things up - their version of Armagideon Time shits on the Willie Williams original. More drama, more power, more passion. Fact)

I'm laughing really hard at you, RIGHT NOW. :D

"White Man In Hammersmith Palais" is a cracking tune that has proper skank going on. Much better than their reggae covers.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
But their Police & Thieves was nothing like Junior Murvin's and made no attempt at being a proper reggae record - it was a punk band covering a reggae song. Sure JM's was better, but I that's not the point. )

what was the point? ruin an amazing song? they managed that 'fe real'!

And just to really stir things up - their version of Armagideon Time shits on the Willie Williams original. More drama, more power, more passion. Fact)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

crackerjack

I'm laughing really hard at you, RIGHT NOW. :D

"White Man In Hammersmith Palais" is a cracking tune that has proper skank going on. Much better than their reggae covers.

I mean it maaaaaaaan. Obviously the Studio One band are untouchable but WW sings it like a man who's just discovered the local shop have sold out of his brand of fags.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I mean it maaaaaaaan. Obviously the Studio One band are untouchable but WW sings it like a man who's just discovered the local shop have sold out of his brand of fags.

that's because he's so sure of the upcoming apocalypse, thus making it MORE powerful

martin

----
WW sings it like a man who's just discovered the local shop have sold out of his brand of fags.

As a newly converted militant non-smoker, I can't sympathise with his position in the slightest. If memory serves me right, the best bit about the Clash cover of 'Armagideon' is when the studio engineer yells at them to hurry up and finish because he wants to go home. Have to second "Hammersmith Palais" though, that song still sends shivers.