Redirecting a domain name

Rambler

Awanturnik
I've been asked to take over the running of a small website; one of my first jobs is to find some new webspace for it. I've got that part of it sorted, but I have no idea how to get the original domain name (which we want to keep, obviously) to point to the new server. Anyone know of a good online guide on this sort of thing?

Thanks!

Dusty

Tone deaf
You want to direct the domain to the nameservers provided by the hosting company. (referred to as the DNS - domain name server)

This can in turn be broken down into the 'A record' for the actual website, and the 'MX record' for email. So you could have one server dealing with the site, and another with the email accounts - but you usually don't have to worry about this.

So you would go to the company dealing with the hosting and obtain their DNS settings, then return to the company holding the domain and enter these settings into the control panel for the domain name.

Dusty

Tone deaf
ah wait a mo... if you simply wantto point an external domain at some hosting, the IP address should be enough.