laptop dj / ableton live

zhao

there are no accidents
first time this weekend. love new software :) but miss my turntables :(

basic question: do i need a sound card or can i send directly from computer to sound-board? (i.e. mini to RCA) cheers

zhao

there are no accidents
mac. I've heard that straight from notebook sounds OK. but it's a relatively large system, so... i'm not sure if a sound card would enhance the power or quality.

secretagentgel

watch out for things like grounding (adds a hum - make sure yre not grounded). constant debate about native soundcard. thru a big system, there's prob so much muddying the signal, the quality between a native card and a procard is debatable. i wouldnt sweat it. honestly worry more about the quality of yr audio.

zhao

there are no accidents
i wouldnt sweat it. honestly worry more about the quality of yr audio.

people tell me that a sound card really improves the sound... not sure what you mean by "quality of my audio", but if you mean the material -- no worries there :D

Just out of interest, if one was to get a soundcard for a mac, what would one recommend?

i just came back from the audio shop now, and bought an M-Audio firewire audiophile interface with 4 in and 6 out. i have to figure out how to cue with it in the next 3 hours. and also take a much needed nap. wish me luck! (with the nap)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
people tell me that a sound card really improves the sound... not sure what you mean by "quality of my audio", but if you mean the material -- no worries there :D

i just came back from the audio shop now, and bought an M-Audio firewire audiophile interface with 4 in and 6 out. i have to figure out how to cue with it in the next 3 hours. and also take a much needed nap. wish me luck! (with the nap)

good luck man, hope it goes well!

zhao

there are no accidents
thanks Mr. Sloane. well, 1 hour before the show, and the fucking soundcard driver refuses to install properly :mad: oh well i think it will be ok.

zhao

there are no accidents
so my i-book rocked last night straight up, but it wasn't as huge a system as i thought. wonder how it would do if it was much bigger.

long time no see nomad. how ya doin? yes me in berlin still. just found a perfect flat with big studio and roof access (11th floor) in the center of the city -- and about 1/3 or 1/4 of what it would costs where you are. how is ny treating you?