Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYC record shop recommendations..

Default NYC record shop recommendations..

Anyone got any NYC record shop recommendations? Am looking for dancehall, hip hop, desi beats, world music...

kims, other music... and a friend went to one where he picked up the latest Kon & Amir mix CD of rare funk and turkish funk and Amir was working at the counter. i can find out which hole in the wall that is if you like...

yes please!

for dub and such, go to Jammy Land, 60 East 3rd Street, near 1st avenue

also dub and reggae, try Deadly Dragon Sound, on Forsyth b/w Grand and Broome

for old vinyl, go to A-1 Records, b/w 1st and A

for old vinyl, also try Gimme Gimme Records, 5th street b/w 1st and 2nd (open friday through sunday only)

for dub and jazz and "world" music, also try Academy Music, 10th street at 4th avenue

for old disco records, try Sound Library at its new location on Orchard beneath Houston

for house music, try Dance Tracks, 3rd street at 1st avenue

again house music, try DiscoRama, west 4th street b/w 6th and 7th avenues

more house and dub music, try Turntable Lab, 7th street b/w 1st and A

for electro, techno, indie music, try Etherea on Avenue A near 5th street

for whatever, Rock and Soul on 35th Street at 7th Ave

and don't forget about stores in Brooklyn . . . .

wow. thanks...

for jazz, psychedelia, experimental and world, go to Downtown Music Gallery, Bowery and 3rd St...

and for indie-rock, try Rebel Rebel, on Bleecker St in Greenwich Village...

Rock & Soul (mentioned above) has a big dancehall collection, or did

on the corner of Essex street and maybe Rivington, or so, in the Lower East Side, is a used record shop with tons of old hip-hop and dancehall 12" singles and such.

In Brooklyn:
    Beat Street, on the Fulton Mall (which is really just Fulton Street)) in Brooklyn, has a mountain of used hip-hop records and a killer dancehall 7" room.

Halcyon in Brooklyn (DUMBO, on or near water street) for electronic music

in Williamsburg there is In Your Ear which has indie and suchlike, also a big used record shop around Driggs and N. 11 and another on on n.10 or n. 11th I think.

and for desi stuff I reckon Jackson Heights, Queens would be the hood to wander around in

no desi vinyl to be found that i know of.

if your going to NY, your going to VP Records right? out in Jamaica Queens? you should make the trip out there. just leave your gold chains at home =P

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    kims, other music... and a friend went to one where he picked up the latest Kon & Amir mix CD of rare funk and turkish funk and Amir was working at the counter. i can find out which hole in the wall that is if you like...
    i went to a1 and amir was working there , i was really hung over, and wasted an opportunity there, he was playing some heavenly bossa novaish stuff, just so so gorgeous.
    i bought an african record there but there wasn't alot of world stock.maybe sterns in new york might be worth visiting too.
    Last edited by mms; 02-07-2007 at 10:51 PM.

on a 2nd hand tip:

on the corner of Essex street and maybe Rivington, or so, in the Lower East Side, is a used record shop with tons of old hip-hop and dancehall 12" singles and such.
    I love that store on Essex down by Delancey, it doesn't have a name it just says "records bought" outside. all the records are stacked flat instead of vertically. they guy is called george frm the bronx, he knows the value of hip hop records and records with famous breaks on but most other stuff is a flat 5 bucks, lots of disco, soul, and hip hop plus some rock, new wave, freestyle, a smattering of house etc.

is the Thing still going in green point or has it been too rinsed out now?

this was great last time I was there:
    http://www.myspace.com/academyannex

they had expensive stuff but seemed to know nothing about house and techno so I got some really rare chicago records for $1 - $3 instead of $80 on ebay....

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    on a 2nd hand tip:

I love that store on Essex down by Delancey, it doesn't have a name it just says "records bought" outside. all the records are stacked flat instead of vertically. they guy is called george frm the bronx, he knows the value of hip hop records and records with famous breaks on but most other stuff is a flat 5 bucks, lots of disco, soul, and hip hop plus some rock, new wave, freestyle, a smattering of house etc.
    i think the place at essex and rivington has been closed for a while now, as in over a year

but yeah, i got some great early 80s stuff there b/c george didn't know it

of course, that's the rule for any used shop, i.e., the owner/staff will know and value some kinds of records, and not know the value of others

That's a shame, George was cool.

It's well over a year since I was in NY.....

nomadologist Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dominic View Post
    for dub and such, go to Jammy Land, 60 East 3rd Street, near 1st avenue

also dub and reggae, try Deadly Dragon Sound, on Forsyth b/w Grand and Broome

for old vinyl, go to A-1 Records, b/w 1st and A

for old vinyl, also try Gimme Gimme Records, 5th street b/w 1st and 2nd (open friday through sunday only)

for dub and jazz and "world" music, also try Academy Music, 10th street at 4th avenue

for old disco records, try Sound Library at its new location on Orchard beneath Houston

for house music, try Dance Tracks, 3rd street at 1st avenue

again house music, try DiscoRama, west 4th street b/w 6th and 7th avenues

more house and dub music, try Turntable Lab, 7th street b/w 1st and A

for electro, techno, indie music, try Etherea on Avenue A near 5th street

for whatever, Rock and Soul on 35th Street at 7th Ave

and don't forget about stores in Brooklyn . . . .
    i'll second Turntable Lab...you can buy some dissensians stuff there like our own Peter Gunn...

dom-- you ever been to that little vinyl shop next to the liquor store off flushing ave near moore or something? it's creepy and full of kitschy stuff

(or you can go here for dancehall