NYC record shop recommendations..

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Anyone got any NYC record shop recommendations? Am looking for dancehall, hip hop, desi beats, world music...

zhao

there are no accidents
kims, other music... and a friend went to one where he picked up the latest Kon & Amir mix CD of rare funk and turkish funk and Amir was working at the counter. i can find out which hole in the wall that is if you like...

dominic

Beast of Burden
for dub and such, go to Jammy Land, 60 East 3rd Street, near 1st avenue

also dub and reggae, try Deadly Dragon Sound, on Forsyth b/w Grand and Broome

for old vinyl, go to A-1 Records, b/w 1st and A

for old vinyl, also try Gimme Gimme Records, 5th street b/w 1st and 2nd (open friday through sunday only)

for dub and jazz and "world" music, also try Academy Music, 10th street at 4th avenue

for old disco records, try Sound Library at its new location on Orchard beneath Houston

for house music, try Dance Tracks, 3rd street at 1st avenue

again house music, try DiscoRama, west 4th street b/w 6th and 7th avenues

more house and dub music, try Turntable Lab, 7th street b/w 1st and A

for electro, techno, indie music, try Etherea on Avenue A near 5th street

for whatever, Rock and Soul on 35th Street at 7th Ave

and don't forget about stores in Brooklyn . . . .

henry s

Street Fighting Man
for jazz, psychedelia, experimental and world, go to Downtown Music Gallery, Bowery and 3rd St...

ripley

Rock & Soul (mentioned above) has a big dancehall collection, or did

on the corner of Essex street and maybe Rivington, or so, in the Lower East Side, is a used record shop with tons of old hip-hop and dancehall 12" singles and such.

In Brooklyn:
Beat Street, on the Fulton Mall (which is really just Fulton Street)) in Brooklyn, has a mountain of used hip-hop records and a killer dancehall 7" room.

Halcyon in Brooklyn (DUMBO, on or near water street) for electronic music

in Williamsburg there is In Your Ear which has indie and suchlike, also a big used record shop around Driggs and N. 11 and another on on n.10 or n. 11th I think.

and for desi stuff I reckon Jackson Heights, Queens would be the hood to wander around in

adruu

This Is It
no desi vinyl to be found that i know of.

if your going to NY, your going to VP Records right? out in Jamaica Queens? you should make the trip out there. just leave your gold chains at home =P

mms

sometimes
kims, other music... and a friend went to one where he picked up the latest Kon & Amir mix CD of rare funk and turkish funk and Amir was working at the counter. i can find out which hole in the wall that is if you like...

i went to a1 and amir was working there , i was really hung over, and wasted an opportunity there, he was playing some heavenly bossa novaish stuff, just so so gorgeous.
i bought an african record there but there wasn't alot of world stock.maybe sterns in new york might be worth visiting too.

Last edited:
on a 2nd hand tip:

on the corner of Essex street and maybe Rivington, or so, in the Lower East Side, is a used record shop with tons of old hip-hop and dancehall 12" singles and such.

I love that store on Essex down by Delancey, it doesn't have a name it just says "records bought" outside. all the records are stacked flat instead of vertically. they guy is called george frm the bronx, he knows the value of hip hop records and records with famous breaks on but most other stuff is a flat 5 bucks, lots of disco, soul, and hip hop plus some rock, new wave, freestyle, a smattering of house etc.

is the Thing still going in green point or has it been too rinsed out now?

this was great last time I was there:
http://www.myspace.com/academyannex

they had expensive stuff but seemed to know nothing about house and techno so I got some really rare chicago records for $1 - $3 instead of $80 on ebay....

dominic

Beast of Burden
on a 2nd hand tip:

I love that store on Essex down by Delancey, it doesn't have a name it just says "records bought" outside. all the records are stacked flat instead of vertically. they guy is called george frm the bronx, he knows the value of hip hop records and records with famous breaks on but most other stuff is a flat 5 bucks, lots of disco, soul, and hip hop plus some rock, new wave, freestyle, a smattering of house etc.

i think the place at essex and rivington has been closed for a while now, as in over a year

but yeah, i got some great early 80s stuff there b/c george didn't know it

of course, that's the rule for any used shop, i.e., the owner/staff will know and value some kinds of records, and not know the value of others

N

nomadologist

for dub and such, go to Jammy Land, 60 East 3rd Street, near 1st avenue

also dub and reggae, try Deadly Dragon Sound, on Forsyth b/w Grand and Broome

for old vinyl, go to A-1 Records, b/w 1st and A

for old vinyl, also try Gimme Gimme Records, 5th street b/w 1st and 2nd (open friday through sunday only)

for dub and jazz and "world" music, also try Academy Music, 10th street at 4th avenue

for old disco records, try Sound Library at its new location on Orchard beneath Houston

for house music, try Dance Tracks, 3rd street at 1st avenue

again house music, try DiscoRama, west 4th street b/w 6th and 7th avenues

more house and dub music, try Turntable Lab, 7th street b/w 1st and A

for electro, techno, indie music, try Etherea on Avenue A near 5th street

for whatever, Rock and Soul on 35th Street at 7th Ave

and don't forget about stores in Brooklyn . . . .

i'll second Turntable Lab...you can buy some dissensians stuff there like our own Peter Gunn...

dom-- you ever been to that little vinyl shop next to the liquor store off flushing ave near moore or something? it's creepy and full of kitschy stuff

stelfox

Beast of Burden
martin go to VP in queens - you'll love it.
good food on the way down the road, really friendly but just be careful.
i was there last week and dropped about $200 in under an hour!
ther really is nowhere else to go in new york for dancehall - well there is and i'll tell you a couple but this has to be your first stop. i haven't read the thread, but if anyone has suggested jammyland, ignore them completely. it's an awful, awful shop.
a total mess, full of crap and immensely expensive if you do unearth anything worth buying.
othermusic is ok for interesting avant stuff, kim's is better an cheaper for allsorts, rock and soul for hip hop and reggae bits and pieces and beat street on fulton mall for hip-hop reggae, reggaeton, reggae. i love fulton mall because you can also get good nikes here and it's a short walk to nicky's vietnamese sandwich shop on atlantic avenue, which you have to visit if you're in the hood - get a vietnamese sandwich (maybe two - i often do) and a lychee drink. if you're going to be there now it will be blisteringly hot too.

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
martin go to VP in queens - you'll love it.
good food on the way down the road, really friendly but just be careful.
i was there last week and dropped about $200 in under an hour!
ther really is nowhere else to go in new york for dancehall - well there is and i'll tell you a couple but this has to be your first stop. i haven't read the thread, but if anyone has suggested jammyland, ignore them completely. it's an awful, awful shop.
a total mess, full of crap and immensely expensive if you do unearth anything worth buying.
othermusic is ok for interesting avant stuff, kim's is better an cheaper for allsorts, rock and soul for hip hop and reggae bits and pieces and beat street on fulton mall for hip-hop reggae, reggaeton, reggae. i love fulton mall because you can also get good nikes here and it's a short walk to nicky's vietnamese sandwich shop on atlantic avenue, which you have to visit if you're in the hood - get a vietnamese sandwich (maybe two - i often do) and a lychee drink. if you're going to be there now it will be blisteringly hot too.

beat street has been closed for almost a year,(as has their close competeir Music Factory) King George's ("records wanted" on Essex) has been closed for at least a year and a half... I believe George sells out of a storage space in the bronx if you can track him down...

VP is a decent store, not holy grail status by any means... if you have an extra day, make the trek... Jamaica is at least an hour from the city by train... the salvation army spot there right next to the train station is ok... then you gotta walk like 15-20 minutes to VP... next to VP is another reggae store that is ok... you can grab some decent jerk chicken patties and such on the walk, or buy some sneakers or a chain... oh their is also one small hip hop record store on the way there that is decent... anyways, VP, their stock is mostly the same reissues you see everywhere and a very comprehensive selection of new 7"s... however they do have clearence bins where you can grab some great stuff from the last 10-15 years for cheap...

jammyland does suck... for new stuff, the reggae room at beat street used to be neck and neck with VP, but it's now closed...

Deadly Dragon on Forsythe is the best spot for vintage reggae in the city... they will bleed you, but their selection is great, reminds me of Daddy Kool, where they have great stuff, but you'll pay for it...

Turntable lab is good as a boutique store, a nice smattering of everything a postmodern DJ dick needs... thanx for the plug Nomad, but i think they only stock my stuff in their online shop (the selection is the storefront is actually fairly small)...

the Thing in Greenpoint is still happening a still a big ol' fun mess... 300,000 records, or so they say... i believe their sister shop the Vortex moved to Bushwick...

Kim's is where i end up buying dubstep...

Academy is probably the best used record shop in NYC...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
to buy new music, vp is the best reggae store i have ever been to without question. it shits over anywhere else in the states and in london. martin is talking about buying dancehall, specifically new 45s, so it is by far the best shop for him to visit. you can get to jamaica station in 20 minutes from flatbush station on the long island railroad, so you really don't need a spare day to visit, plus, walking through a new area of new york when you're on vacation isn't exactly hard work anyway. beat street's 45 room was fun, but it never had the selection they have here and they were always short on pieces too. deadly dragon will rob you blind but they do have stuff worth getting robbed for, though.

Last edited: