Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: bassline house

Quote Originally Posted by WOEBOT View Post
    popped into uptown records yesterday and i can see why logan might be on the defensive.

literally the whole wall downstairs is dedicated to bassline. grime is in that slot on the left handside where two-step used to be. quite a shocker actually.

i had heard this...

a shock to see i am sure, but it makes sense... grime has become a mixtape genre in the last year... sucks for the dj's, but better for the artists, sad to say (cd's are much easier to make money on...)

interesting last few pages. im enjoying all this clashing scenes stuff, hopefully it'll lead to some really great music

Quote Originally Posted by petergunn View Post
    grime has become a mixtape genre in the last year... sucks for the dj's, but better for the artists, sad to say (cd's are much easier to make money on...)
    really? how you figure? from what I can tell, no one actually buys mixtapes. the scene was at its biggest commercially when there were loads of new releases and when DJs were playing vinyl for people in clubs innit? in that respect vinyl is great for producers and MCs alike - it takes away the pressure of endlessly hyping yourself up from the producers and it gives new MCs stuff for the clubs. you're not relying on the same crews over and over again who have instrumentals and stuff. mixtape culture means you're pretty much solely responsible for your own promotion and there's not many that can do that well. BBK being the obvious exception?
    Last edited by UFO over easy; 06-12-2007 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO over easy View Post
    interesting last few pages. im enjoying all this clashing scenes stuff, hopefully it'll lead to some really great music

really? how you figure? from what I can tell, no one actually buys mixtapes. the scene was at its biggest commercially when there were loads of new releases and when DJs were playing vinyl for people in clubs innit? in that respect vinyl is great for producers and MCs alike - it takes away the pressure of endlessly hyping yourself up from the producers and it gives new MCs stuff for the clubs. you're not relying on the same crews over and over again who have instrumentals and stuff. mixtape culture means you're pretty much solely responsible for your own promotion and there's not many that can do that well. BBK being the obvious exception?
    i am talking 2007 paradigm... yes, the scene was at it's biggest when DJ's were playing vinyl for clubs,,, however, those days are gone. now, most grime dj's have serato, so that makes the download effect equal across the board. no matter what the format is these days, a large percentage of your audience is not going to pay... in sheer economics, it's hard to make money off a 500 press of vinyl... you need to sell over 1000 to make any sort of money... with CD's, if you sell 500, you have a nice chunk of change... they have a higher retail price then a 12" and they cost much less... the only advantage of a 12" for an artist is that the studio cost is less, but in the days of fruity loops and home studios. this is not much of a factor...

I think it's really important to give people a product they can get excited about though.. and sales go hand in hand with that. That's why dubstep sells - through dubplate culture, vinyl and the tunes themselves are massively romanticised, so records are in demand.

Who gets excited over a 20 track mixtape with 3 good tunes and crap artwork? Of course everyone's going to download when the majority of releases comprise sloppily compiled filler CDs.. who would be proud of a collection that's 80% filler?

People download in dubstep too but records sell because they've got the hype right..

I think it's really important to give people a product they can get excited about though.. and sales go hand in hand with that. That's why dubstep sells - through dubplate culture, vinyl and the tunes themselves are massively romanticised, so records are in demand.

Who gets excited over a 20 track mixtape with 3 good tunes and crap artwork? Of course everyone's going to download when the majority of releases comprise sloppily compiled filler CDs.. who would be proud of a collection that's 80% filler?

People download in dubstep too but records sell because they've got the hype right..
    well, that's true... that is why the AXIOM EP was so powerful... so short, but every track KILLED... hip hop should learn from this as well... shit, actually the record industry as a whole should learn from it...

it pains me to say this, but there is a more responsible "irie" listening audience in dubstep... you go on RWD forum and everyone is bragging about how they won't spend a dime on anything ever and you go on dubstepforum and people are talking about buying songs in 3 different formats...

dubstep is based on producers, wheras grime is now based on MC's... like grime in 2004, there are a handful of dubstep vocal 12"s in a sea of instrumentals...

"NEXT BIG THING" bassline article from oct 2004...

http://www.i-dj.co.uk/features/featurespage.php?ID=48

popped into uptown records yesterday and i can see why logan might be on the defensive.

literally the whole wall downstairs is dedicated to bassline. grime is in that slot on the left handside where two-step used to be. quite a shocker actually.

lol that's because no-one is bloody releasing anything! I think I am the only record label still in existence.
    logansama.blogspot.com
    myspace.com/djlogansama
    info@logansama.com

New show time! Monday night 11pm-1am Kiss 100
    kiss100.com

Listen to the show HERE or HERE

For The Last Time
    Bassline House Is Not Niche ..

For The Last Time

For The Last Time

For The Last Time

you co-run a dubstep rec label..are your sales down to your hype then ?

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMBY® View Post
    you co-run a dubstep rec label..are your sales down to your hype then ?
    in that dubsteps sales as a whole genre, and pretty much any leisure product in the whole world depends on hype for its sales, yeah sure. that hype has to be grounded in something though innit

i think youre right logan. the last 4 or 5 grime records ive bought have all been on adamantium.

UKrecordshop.com has a near total monopoly on grime CDs and most grime artists aren't bothering with vinyl, because the only people that buy them are grime DJs, most of whom are vastly outnumbered by the MCs.

I'd not be surprised if most of the london garage/grime vinyl shops switch to northern bassline and london funky...

Quote Originally Posted by slackk View Post
    This is really quite good.

Dj Murkz - 16 = Do The Maths Vol. 1
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/mpx5jq

Manchester DJ, I understand.
    Love the bassline on track 16: Brett Maverick - Cut Off Dem

Default Northern Line Records Launch Party, London, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Sama View Post
    lol that's because no-one is bloody releasing anything! I think I am the only record label still in existence.
    yeah that's not good