bassline house

S

simon silverdollar

...as in the meeting point between speed garage and happy hardcore that's popular around sheffield. i love this stuff- it's so relentlessly upfront and over the top. nothing's too cheesy or obvious for bassline house, no bassline too crude and massive, and that means that it's instant fun.

there's a bewildering amount of this stuff out there, mostly put out in huge, budget priced packs of 10 CDs or so (kind of like the old school tape packs that you used to get with hardcore, and even grime back in the sidewinder days).

aside from being joyful, great music, i guess it's also interesting from a historical/genealogical angle- it's the new kink in the hardcore continuum. it's what happens when kids in garage start taking pills (or, conversely, what happens when kids into pills start listening to garage).

anyone else a fan?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
there's quite a few threads about it on here already simon- been big in south/west yorkshire for years. sold on market stalls, listened to in vauxhall novas.

viktorvaughn

We had quite a good chat about this towards the end of the UKG vs UKG vs UKG thread mate!

I upped a few mixes (I live in Sheff) - just give me a shout if they are no longer functioning.

S

simon silverdollar

there's quite a few threads about it on here already simon- QUOTE]

ooops...

"sold on market stalls, listened to in vauxhall novas" is pretty much all it takes for me to get interested in a style of music!

Noah Baby Food

depends what you're into, some of it's 'blacker' sounding, more rude-boy old garage style, some of it's cheesy as hell with organs, some of it's quite grimy, D'explicit kinda stuff, some of it is very similar to happy hardcore... check for mixes by Shaun Banger Scott, Jamie Ferguson, Paleface, Danny Bond, Jamie Duggan...these are some big names, covering a bit of ground style-wise. If you're up North, seriously, just go to your local market and check for CDs there...Leeds market has a couple of dedicated stalls. If you're in London, I'm not sure, it's not as big down there.

Someone posted some mixes on another thread here (the UKG vs UKG one I think), Jamie Ferguson, Big Ang and Agent X, but they've prolly expired now.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
...as in the meeting point between speed garage and happy hardcore that's popular around sheffield. i love this stuff- it's so relentlessly upfront and over the top. nothing's too cheesy or obvious for bassline house, no bassline too crude and massive, and that means that it's instant fun.

there's a bewildering amount of this stuff out there, mostly put out in huge, budget priced packs of 10 CDs or so (kind of like the old school tape packs that you used to get with hardcore, and even grime back in the sidewinder days).

aside from being joyful, great music, i guess it's also interesting from a historical/genealogical angle- it's the new kink in the hardcore continuum. it's what happens when kids in garage start taking pills (or, conversely, what happens when kids into pills start listening to garage).

anyone else a fan?

Happy Hardcore isn't popular in Sheffield (there has been a night up here for at least 5 years) but Speed Garage is, mostly sold on bootleg CD's in the local record shop - anything with Niche on sells well. I use't to nip into the club every so often to see what was going down but it never changed, same bassline, breaks and shite vocals. I'm amazed it's still going, with all the trouble at these events I doubt it would be, as that seems to be the main event. The last time I was there, someone was shot and they didn't even stop the music....!!!!

vimothy

yurp
Happy Hardcore isn't popular in Sheffield (there has been a night up here for at least 5 years) but Speed Garage is, mostly sold on bootleg CD's in the local record shop - anything with Niche on sells well. I use't to nip into the club every so often to see what was going down but it never changed, same bassline, breaks and shite vocals. I'm amazed it's still going, with all the trouble at these events I doubt it would be, as that seems to be the main event. The last time I was there, someone was shot and they didn't even stop the music....!!!!

Is that the palce where they have meat-heads weight lifting in the yard outside?

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
They've moved a couple of times due to license problems and people being shot/killed. I don't think I saw anyone working out but I did see people racking lines up for sale. Niche was the most "on top" place I've ever been. It's even worse when your face isn't regular. They even had the young lads scouting you out "got any gear to sell mate" - no need to ask what happened if you said yes...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
there's quite a few threads about it on here already simon- QUOTE]

ooops...

"sold on market stalls, listened to in vauxhall novas" is pretty much all it takes for me to get interested in a style of music!

that didn't mean to sound rude, simon!

as mentioned above, leeds has the full-on market ---> nova equation going strong.

maybe because its so common up here, it's become background noise, rather than being happy/joyful- the audience for it don't seem to be either particularly

DRMHCP

Niche - what a shithole that was/is...both(! didn't know any better the first time and we needed somewhere late to go the second) times i went were completely unpleasant expereinces.Horrible atmosphere.
The first time in about '97 it was full of wannabes who thought they were gangsters but wouldnt have lasted 5 minutes in any other big city in England.Must be something to do with Sheffield having this reputation as the safest city in the country meaning you get all kinds of arseholes trying to make a reputation for themselves. You know intimidating normal punters...the last thing most really naughty people who run nights in clubs usually wanna do is scare the normal clubbers away...
Only stayed a few minutes the next time as we decided the walk to Insomniacz at the old Corporation in the rain was a better bet but I've heard its got far worse in the intervening years.

IKoss

Wild Horses
OKAY!

... count me in across the board here.

all of simons initial remarks are very true.. ukg being my first/foremost favored umbrella of a sub-genre. i must say that over the past couple of years the bassline stuff has become my focal point.. as though its actually possible for me to enjoy something in particular more then just the whole of garage, lol..

it's so amazing how music as versatile as ukg can then even have such a vast array of extended versatility within its components, yea..

it fills me joy to think of how well this music has stood the test of time.. held on to so many of its fundamentals.. and yet evolved and grown. and shows hardly a sign of decease. in spite of any popular belief. so much of this music is so timeless. and i would suggest this because of it being of a fundamentalist nature. these vibes actually are the original vibes of electronic dance. i believe also this is the very best of what 'club friendly' electronic dance has to offer. the frequency-range elements are nearly the perfect combination. it seems to encompass and retain not only that original garage feel.. but also that harmonious balance between the basic emotional drives of music in general.

it is alive and well.. from london to leeds, or dallas to brooklyn.

but seriously, watch out for more upcoming heavily bassline focused gigs. in and around nyc. and if your in nyc, or not even. but like these sort of tunes, dont sleep on these cats..

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=20941770

they do a mashup of what i like to call brooklyn bassline..

... and with that, i will rant no more..

-ian

secretagentgel

this shit is owning my corner of brooklyn too, mainly brought around by the trouble and bass kids, including producers drop the lime, math head and starkey. also heard it called blog house, assuming we're referring to the same thing. love it. can't get enough of it. silly at times, dark and hard at times, enough variation to let the producers get creative, straight-forward enough that it's not beard scratching.

IKoss

Wild Horses
this shit is owning my corner of brooklyn too, mainly brought around by the trouble and bass kids, including producers drop the lime, math head and starkey. also heard it called blog house, assuming we're referring to the same thing. love it. can't get enough of it. silly at times, dark and hard at times, enough variation to let the producers get creative, straight-forward enough that it's not beard scratching.

yea my heads are from dallas, which should technically get the credit for the stateside inception of ukg. being that they boasted the longest standing stateside oldschool ukg events(Groovology). anyways one of the main figures from that scene Tiny, who heads up 'Unit One' promotions has just moved this year to brooklyn area. he intends to truly bridge the gaps between stateside pockets of garage heads. solid relationships are being formed right now between the two major stateside conglomerates of garage.
and this will certainly ensure a long healthy marketplace for these flavors. i can assure you based on the experience they collectively have. the striking similarities between electro house and all its apparent mass appeal and current popularity.
and the flat out tried and tested potential of the music. this is a terribly exiting time for those of us who have waited for bassline and ukg as whole to really get the nod it deserves.

k i could just go all day, obviously, lol..

-ian

Last edited:

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Niche - what a shithole that was/is...both(! didn't know any better the first time and we needed somewhere late to go the second) times i went were completely unpleasant expereinces.Horrible atmosphere.
The first time in about '97 it was full of wannabes who thought they were gangsters but wouldnt have lasted 5 minutes in any other big city in England.Must be something to do with Sheffield having this reputation as the safest city in the country meaning you get all kinds of arseholes trying to make a reputation for themselves. You know intimidating normal punters...the last thing most really naughty people who run nights in clubs usually wanna do is scare the normal clubbers away...
Only stayed a few minutes the next time as we decided the walk to Insomniacz at the old Corporation in the rain was a better bet but I've heard its got far worse in the intervening years.

Niche was run by the owner of the club, his brother was killed in some kind of Sheff/Manc thing - enough said really.

secretagentgel

yeah, tiny's around, and a soldier. and at most of the "right" parties, meaning the ones im at. haha

what finally sort of locked it down for me was the j3di sessions on blueprint with richie vibe vee on 1xtra. that hit me just right.

in the UK will this spread out of

Sheffield and if so do you know of any caves or caverns I can relocate myself in (I keed I keed)?

but seriously though...?