Page 3 of 482 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Dubstep

New link for the Grievous Angel mix as Paul's server went down...

http://www.deeptime.net/sufferahmix/...rahVolume3.mp3
    Last edited by nomos; 18-07-2007 at 04:41 PM.

I'm a complete dubstep n00b, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are there any 'bands' out there doing live dubstep? I don't mean essentially rock/indie/guitar-pop bands doing dubstep-influenced music, a la Hadouken! with grime, I just mean a people playing real dubstep with live drums and basslines (or bass noises) played on synth or bass guitar, or (better still) double bass, which could be heavily processed to get the right amount of fuzz/squelch. Of course you'd need additional synths/samplers to provied the necessary ambience, and maybe a live vocalist too.

Is anyone doing this? If not, do you think it has mileage, or would it come across as gimmicky?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

an american band called psylab has done some covers. there's a video of them on youtube doing a horsepower track.

Cheers, I shall check that out.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I'm a complete dubstep n00b, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are there any 'bands' out there doing live dubstep? I don't mean essentially rock/indie/guitar-pop bands doing dubstep-influenced music, a la Hadouken! with grime, I just mean a people playing real dubstep with live drums and basslines (or bass noises) played on synth or bass guitar, or (better still) double bass, which could be heavily processed to get the right amount of fuzz/squelch. Of course you'd need additional synths/samplers to provied the necessary ambience, and maybe a live vocalist too.

Is anyone doing this? If not, do you think it has mileage, or would it come across as gimmicky?
    I would think that this would be the point that the whole thing died. It is just going to be a jazz band of sorts, isn't it? Scores very high on the beard scale.

I totally meant to reply to this thread a couple of days ago. Anyway! I can only really go on the records that come out, but the more 'up' / minimal crossover stuff has pretty much killed halfstep stone dead for me. Give me the swing and the energy over the wobble ten times out of ten. I'll echo what people said above - go for the Skull Disco, Punch Drunk, Hessle Audio end of things. Some of Skream's newer stuff (the Marc Ashken rmx, Losing Control on Skreamizm vol 3), are powerhouses of drive. Also, check some of Journey to Pangaea's stuff. Nothing released yet, but that won't be the case for long:

http://www.myspace.com/journeytopangaea

You know what I really enjoy? And the first example of it was Anti War Dub. I really am enjoying these steppers style tracks with skippy drums like Benga & Coki - Night. It really appeals to my ignorant Grime ears.
    logansama.blogspot.com
    myspace.com/djlogansama
    info@logansama.com

New show time! Monday night 11pm-1am Kiss 100
    kiss100.com

Listen to the show HERE or HERE

i checked out the new d1 double pack yesterday - didnt buy it but was almost tempted to as it had this weird almost chipmunk-sped up housey sort of track on there. had another slightly unusual track too but the rest was good but pretty much standard heavy bass wobbling.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdrops View Post
    i checked out the new d1 double pack yesterday - didnt buy it but was almost tempted to as it had this weird almost chipmunk-sped up housey sort of track on there. had another slightly unusual track too but the rest was good but pretty much standard heavy bass wobbling.
    I felt pretty much the same. Probably would have bitten if it was a 12" with the vocal track on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rosco View Post
    I felt pretty much the same. Probably would have bitten if it was a 12" with the vocal track on it.
    yeh a couple of standard ones, but for me definitely still worth it... Mind & Soul, Malfunction, Quantum Jazz and Greazy are all huge

you guys should check that mix i posted upthread, some of his new stuff is amazing... he's been pursuing the overt house vibes quite a bit, proper rushy, its got a lot of energy and rhythmically he's doing some sick things... kind of like really squashed, bass-heavy broken garage... and he throws in a load of mala's best moments and some other classics for good measure. shame the recording peaks quite a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hotflush View Post
    Hahaha, they are all gushing uncontrollably over there! =) Going to scoop this up later.

Quote Originally Posted by elgato View Post
    yeh a couple of standard ones, but for me definitely still worth it... Mind & Soul, Malfunction, Quantum Jazz and Greazy are all huge

you guys should check that mix i posted upthread, some of his new stuff is amazing... he's been pursuing the overt house vibes quite a bit, proper rushy, its got a lot of energy and rhythmically he's doing some sick things... kind of like really squashed, bass-heavy broken garage... and he throws in a load of mala's best moments and some other classics for good measure. shame the recording peaks quite a lot
    I got the double pak for 6 and the two tunes on the D side are immense! The chipmunk one and then chilled housey one (Quantum Jazz) which sounds like a broken-beat track to me. I can think of it fitting in really well to the tunes on Tempa Allstars 1, that sort of period of garage. Hypnotic and sublime. I totally agree about D1, hope he keeps on the broken house vibe and steers well clear of macho bass bangers. Skream seems to have gone quite off the boil for me.

At Dubraiser, D1 played what must have been a mix by him of Everything But the Girl's "Missing". After Olive's "You're Not Alone" it seems there's no end to his love of Ibiza anthems with extra bass...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdown View Post
    At Dubraiser, D1 played what must have been a mix by him of Everything But the Girl's "Missing". After Olive's "You're Not Alone" it seems there's no end to his love of Ibiza anthems with extra bass...
    That information makes me strangely happy! Big up D1.