hds

Hi There,

i was wondering if there are any good tips on what to check out apart from the usual dubstep allstars-samplers and stuff like burial?

I'd be happy for any good recommendations or news...

cheers from karlsruhe, germany,

julian

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Ill FM

completely random link but http://www.illfm.net/ have featured some great off the wall dubstep over the last few months. It's a hotbed of dubstep kinda everyelse core, check out DJ Rivalry, although i think he's changed his name of late. Drop the lime seems to 'droped by'. :slanted:

mos dan

fact music
yeah, what *is* hot in dubstep right now? i seriously have no clue. bewildered by so many producers and so many djs.

as to what else to check out beyond the obvious, i think you can't go far wrong with a joe nice radio set from 2005 if you can find one.

that coki tune thats really mechanical is killing it right now (sgt pokes keeps saying wd40 when it gets played) everyone is dropping it - maybe its not coki??? its got some really high pitches, sounds like a machine is grinding to a slow death - absolutely mental in the dance.

in fact i went to the dmz last night (£10!!!!! to get in (pure tourists)....madness) and i was very very very impressed with the 3 tracks that loefah played featuring flowdan. So he played jah-war, skeng and another one that i dont know the name of, that was amazing - flowdan is really smacking dubstep at the moment, it was so refreshing to hear vocals. Oh and movado has got a dubstep refix (wah dem a do)

digital mystikz vs loefah did a brilliant set, probably the best i have ever seen them tbh. couldnt be bothered to stay for the rest, would really have liked to see horespower if they werent on so ridiculously late. smoking ban was quite refreshing aswell

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Shit yeah I forgot about that, £10 to get in - what is the world coming to!?

The crowd has definitely shifted a bit over the last few months, to be expected I guess...

Personally I thought the Mala/Loefah set was one of the worst I've ever seen them do...Loefah opened it big with those flowdan tunes but he just anthem bashed after that...would have liked to have seen Mala let go and get into a groove on his own for an hour tbh, him and Loefah are so far apart sonically now that it must be hard to do the b2b thing properly. Left disapointed.

Anyway sorry this is offtopic...I wholeheartedly recommend the latest Blogariddims from Paul Autonomic ('Moving South') which does the whole dubstep/minimal intersection extremely well and showcases quite a lot of released tracks you might want to buy. Possibly my favourite mix of the year so far. Also track down the recent Pinch mix from Mary Anne Hobbes show, some excellent stuff on there, lots of dubs but also some stuff on Tectonic which is getting released at the moment (e.g. the 2562 12").

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Do they still do the membership thing for DMZ - email before to get in for a fiver?

Last time I was there the sound was like a wet fart and the beer is way too expensive.

elgato

I just dont know
Personally I thought the Mala/Loefah set was one of the worst I've ever seen them do...Loefah opened it big with those flowdan tunes but he just anthem bashed after that...would have liked to have seen Mala let go and get into a groove on his own for an hour tbh, him and Loefah are so far apart sonically now that it must be hard to do the b2b thing properly. Left disapointed.

My feelings precisely. I really hate to say it but I just wanted Mala to go on. Usually they really bring it when they're together but I felt it was just so disjointed. Loefah is going through a bit of a dry spell too it seems, I hope he pulls himself out of it soon. All worth it for the new Mala tunes though. Miracles... Miracles... Miracles... Miracles... Miracles... Miracles...

Also had the unpleasant experience of some aggressive male posturing and intimidation from some extremely large shaven-headed idiots who were looking to flex a girl I was with! Pretty un-DMZ

I didn't really enjoy either Chef b2b Walsh or LD b2b Hijack either, although Chef played a couple of sick tunes. Joe Nice killed it in the second half of his set though, after City Cycles he took it really nice and deep, the overt dubby vibes were such a welcome contrast. Joanna Newsom remix was one of the tunes of the night! And MZN vs DMZ

bassnation

the abyss
Maybe worth checking the recent appleblim set on rinse from friday for some mimimal dubby stuff: http://gotdarker.com/?fileref=cde1f35895bb5348ff25d36a1205bc08

Also the Kode 9 Sonar mix if you haven't checked it out already: http://gotdarker.com/?fileref=c6521d92e4eb00df5eb311d776faffd0

Are those too mainstream?

does anyone have a tracklisting for that appleblim set? i can't tell you how much i am enjoying dubstep again since the crossover with minimal techno has started producing such fruitful results.

elgato

I just dont know
as to whats good in dubstep...

Aside from all the techno crossover stuff mentioned already (to which I would add a recommendation for the Ruffage Sessions on SubFM, Pangaea and Ramadanman are bringing some really good stuff), I would add

D1 on Streamizm, carnivalesque

But not much else. Its been a while since I was surprised by dubstep... still amazing stuff coming from the ones you expect, and the techno crossover thing is producing some wonderful stuff, but I dunno, I dont really feel the vibrancy on the fringes right now. Its probably just where my head is at the moment though

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
does anyone have a tracklisting for that appleblim set? i can't tell you how much i am enjoying dubstep again since the crossover with minimal techno has started producing such fruitful results.

I haven't seen one but I could probably knock it up... are there any tracks in particular or is it the whole thing?

viktorvaughn

My feelings precisely. I really hate to say it but I just wanted Mala to go on. Usually they really bring it when they're together but I felt it was just so disjointed. Loefah is going through a bit of a dry spell too it seems, I hope he pulls himself out of it soon. All worth it for the new Mala tunes though. Miracles... Miracles... Miracles... Miracles... Miracles... Miracles...

Also had the unpleasant experience of some aggressive male posturing and intimidation from some extremely large shaven-headed idiots who were looking to flex a girl I was with! Pretty un-DMZ

I didn't really enjoy either Chef b2b Walsh or LD b2b Hijack either, although Chef played a couple of sick tunes. Joe Nice killed it in the second half of his set though, after City Cycles he took it really nice and deep, the overt dubby vibes were such a welcome contrast. Joanna Newsom remix was one of the tunes of the night! And MZN vs DMZ

Yeah I had slightly mixed feelings about DMZ. I thought Joe Nice’s set got slightly dreary at points and Hatch cained a few too many banging hard techy ones. Was there some Spongebob rmxs going down? Seemed to hear the same tune loads of time – though it might have been my spangled brain making things up!

I think maybe Loefah needs to break out of the half-step mould?

Quality that Rust brought some variation in his set. And Horsepower doing jungle/hardkore was a good idea and lots of fun. The one guy looks a bit like a vagrant who had just wondered in?? Both of them were loving it and dancing around in the box. I think variation is the key at DMZ. They should get someone with a foot in the grime camp for the next one – Plasticman, Tubby or MarkOne. Any maybe get someone like el-b to do a garage set – I mean it would only be one hour out of 8!! It can all get a bit relentless otherwise.

Oh yeah, and more vocals too. Poison Dart/Skeng/Jah War all rip it up. I can just imagine a load of dubstep geeks thinking Flowdan and the Newham Gens are the only good Grime MCs when really Riko, Badness, Roachee etc. could all make amazing tracks.

There was a very beautiful girl in a polka-dot dress also.

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
I haven't seen one but I could probably knock it up... are there any tracks in particular or is it the whole thing?

i know all the reggae and techno he played - but the dubstep stuff would be good :)

re. the fringes - just feel that the production values have gone up enormously. there are some seriously trippy and mindbending tracks out there now, which is not a description i'd normally attribute to dubstep in the past.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
re. the fringes - just feel that the production values have gone up enormously. there are some seriously trippy and mindbending tracks out there now, which is not a description i'd normally attribute to dubstep in the past.
*interested* Care to name names? Or link to mixes?