I rate this DJ Shiva mix very highly http://www.barefiles.com/download.php?id=1339
She's from an American Techno background, so theres none of that dreaded 'I'll only play tunes by 6 producers' mindset that some of the big DJ's seem to have now. The mix is a 1hr 40 minutes so prepare for a lengthy download.

For another different mix check out this: http://www.cov-ops.co.uk/lbp/vaccine-feb2007.mp3
Dubstep mixed in with drumless Accoustic indie, ambient stuff, and all key mixed

Thinking about that comment about Loefah and him limiting himself to half step. When he started out with the Big Apple stuff he was more percussive than a lot of the other producers, stuff like Indian Dub, Jungle Infiltrator... So different from him now. I guess Horror Show really unleashed something in him

elgato

I just dont know
i know all the reggae and techno he played - but the dubstep stuff would be good :)

for the dubstep section...

Appleblim - Vansan
Peverelist - The Grind
RSD - Pretty Bright Lights
RSD - Light Of Jah Love
2562 - Kowalski (?)
Peverelist - Infinity Is Now
TRG - Put You Down (Ramadanman Remix)
TRG - Decisions
Pinch - Pages
Pinch - Whirl
Wedge - Overfiend
Jack Sparrow - ?
Fracture - The Phonecall
Komonazmuk - End Of The World
Wedge - Overfiend (Gatekeeper Remix)

Appleblim is a very informative host!

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Can't find a thread for the Dubstep Sufferah vol 3 mix, so this'll have to do: Massive massive stuff- just when I thought I was beginning to tire of dubstep, conclusive proof that it IS still exciting after all and not a load of turgid old bollocks... the fx and re-editing going on kept it exciting, even with familiar(ish) tunes... Its pretty atmospheric but never loses the propulsive imperative. Mix of the year (I reckon). The Grime/Dubstep thing done with taste and attention to detail (ie rhythmic interplay) still sounds amazingly fresh... shockingly so in fact, when everyone is lauding the minimal/off-4x4 element, something as blindingly obvious as this works so well...

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
The Grime/Dubstep thing done with taste and attention to detail (ie rhythmic interplay) still sounds amazingly fresh... shockingly so in fact, when everyone is lauding the minimal/off-4x4 element, something as blindingly obvious as this works so well...
That's the most fantastic thing about the mix - it draws on the strengths of both grime and dubstep, and illustrates how their division from one another is very artificial. The halfstep is the foundation, the bassline, the halftime. It's role is reduced in that sense but, at the same time, its latent rhythmic energy (those riddims that we dance to even though they're not really there) is drawn out by the full and double time vocal percussion. So the rhythmic effect is akin to jungle, with vox replacing breaks (which has basically been the idea with grime all along, but it proves how perfectly these two very related things can work together).

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Its a no-brainer really. It so obviously just works... I simply fail to understand the snobbishness from dubsteppers over Grime interplay. Dreck. Also this mix is ace cos it has a really well thought-out structure, it actually shifts you across various territories logically. Too many dubstep mixes I get bored after half an hour (and sometimes I think so does the guy doing the mix haha...)

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I'm hoping this smoking ban thing is good for dubstep. Might stop people getting so carried away with some really average stuff.

Plus the music has to be more engaging to keep people from going outside to smoke. ;)

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

Its a no-brainer really. It so obviously just works... I simply fail to understand the snobbishness from dubsteppers over Grime interplay. Dreck. Also this mix is ace cos it has a really well thought-out structure, it actually shifts you across various territories logically. Too many dubstep mixes I get bored after half an hour (and sometimes I think so does the guy doing the mix haha...)

It is great to hear Grime and Dubstep in the mix but I'm not sure i like the slightly disembodied feel the vocals have in the mix. Like Paul says in his notes, Abelton gives such a smooth and seamless mix it is really quite strange to hear Grime vocals slip in and out of the mix smoothly rather than chopped ruthlessly in a la Slimzee et al! I think vocals work best when abruptly shoved into the foreground, not floating around in dubbed-out space.

Still, the mix is really enjoyable and it is very nice to hear something a little different and evidently with so much effort put into it, so big up.

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
mix is amazing so far :) many thanks Paul

It is great to hear Grime and Dubstep in the mix but I'm not sure i like the slightly disembodied feel the vocals have in the mix. Like Paul says in his notes, Abelton gives such a smooth and seamless mix it is really quite strange to hear Grime vocals slip in and out of the mix smoothly rather than chopped ruthlessly in a la Slimzee et al!

this is exactly what i was thinking. i only listened to half as yet, so the energy peak still awaits me, but the feel i've got from it thus far is very much grime in dub, rather than dubstep as riddim. but i dont think its necessary to ask what works 'best', its something different, and very interesting.

in tone it also reminds me quite a lot of Keysound Radio (but as i say the peak is yet to come!)

viktorvaughn

this is exactly what i was thinking. i only listened to half as yet, so the energy peak still awaits me, but the feel i've got from it thus far is very much grime in dub, rather than dubstep as riddim. but i dont think its necessary to ask what works 'best', its something different, and very interesting.

True, there may not necessarily be a 'best' way to hear them. It's a bit grime-gone-ghost, as if the energy has been sucked out by the dub miasma surrounding the vocals.

I think i've just listened to too many Slimzee sets!:) Don't want to dwell on the negatives, as i have enjoyed the mix.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm a complete dubstep n00b, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are there any 'bands' out there doing live dubstep? I don't mean essentially rock/indie/guitar-pop bands doing dubstep-influenced music, a la Hadouken! with grime, I just mean a people playing real dubstep with live drums and basslines (or bass noises) played on synth or bass guitar, or (better still) double bass, which could be heavily processed to get the right amount of fuzz/squelch. Of course you'd need additional synths/samplers to provied the necessary ambience, and maybe a live vocalist too.

Is anyone doing this? If not, do you think it has mileage, or would it come across as gimmicky?

nomos

Administrator
an american band called psylab has done some covers. there's a video of them on youtube doing a horsepower track.

3underscore

I'm a complete dubstep n00b, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are there any 'bands' out there doing live dubstep? I don't mean essentially rock/indie/guitar-pop bands doing dubstep-influenced music, a la Hadouken! with grime, I just mean a people playing real dubstep with live drums and basslines (or bass noises) played on synth or bass guitar, or (better still) double bass, which could be heavily processed to get the right amount of fuzz/squelch. Of course you'd need additional synths/samplers to provied the necessary ambience, and maybe a live vocalist too.

Is anyone doing this? If not, do you think it has mileage, or would it come across as gimmicky?

I would think that this would be the point that the whole thing died. It is just going to be a jazz band of sorts, isn't it? Scores very high on the beard scale.

Don Rosco

I totally meant to reply to this thread a couple of days ago. Anyway! I can only really go on the records that come out, but the more 'up' / minimal crossover stuff has pretty much killed halfstep stone dead for me. Give me the swing and the energy over the wobble ten times out of ten. I'll echo what people said above - go for the Skull Disco, Punch Drunk, Hessle Audio end of things. Some of Skream's newer stuff (the Marc Ashken rmx, Losing Control on Skreamizm vol 3), are powerhouses of drive. Also, check some of Journey to Pangaea's stuff. Nothing released yet, but that won't be the case for long:

http://www.myspace.com/journeytopangaea

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
You know what I really enjoy? And the first example of it was Anti War Dub. I really am enjoying these steppers style tracks with skippy drums like Benga & Coki - Night. It really appeals to my ignorant Grime ears.

gumdrops

i checked out the new d1 double pack yesterday - didnt buy it but was almost tempted to as it had this weird almost chipmunk-sped up housey sort of track on there. had another slightly unusual track too but the rest was good but pretty much standard heavy bass wobbling.

Don Rosco

i checked out the new d1 double pack yesterday - didnt buy it but was almost tempted to as it had this weird almost chipmunk-sped up housey sort of track on there. had another slightly unusual track too but the rest was good but pretty much standard heavy bass wobbling.

I felt pretty much the same. Probably would have bitten if it was a 12" with the vocal track on it.

elgato

I just dont know
I felt pretty much the same. Probably would have bitten if it was a 12" with the vocal track on it.

yeh a couple of standard ones, but for me definitely still worth it... Mind & Soul, Malfunction, Quantum Jazz and Greazy are all huge

you guys should check that mix i posted upthread, some of his new stuff is amazing... he's been pursuing the overt house vibes quite a bit, proper rushy, its got a lot of energy and rhythmically he's doing some sick things... kind of like really squashed, bass-heavy broken garage... and he throws in a load of mala's best moments and some other classics for good measure. shame the recording peaks quite a lot