Conrad banged up

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Shadenfreude is such an ugly emotion, but....

I'm loving the fact that Conrad Black is going to jail. There's always been something pretty comic about him IMO - he's such a bumptious twat. The thought of him sweeping floors in chokey wearing his orange jump suit has been making me smile all weekend.

This is probably the closest thing to a victimless crime - stealing from other rich white men who probably wouldnt have noticed if he hadnt insisted on rubbing thier noses in it by living like a tzar. The details are great - like his $12,000 wash stand which contained Napolean's shaving bottle.

It's bizarre how someone who seems like such a Walter Mitty could ever build up such an empire. I bet Rupert Murdoch doesn't give two fucks about where his shaving bottle came from.

So what's he going to be like on the other side? I'm expecting a conversion to 'liberal compassion' and lots of earnest op-ed pieces - Conrad banging on about prisoner's disandvantaged start in life and how black people are really not such a rum lot after all - and other insights that are blindingly obvious to anyone who doesn't have their head so firmly shoved up thier arse.

But you can't tell with Conrad. He does like to keep it unpredictable. Maybe he'll join a mexican street gang.

crackerjack

Shadenfreude is such an ugly emotion.....

.....Maybe he'll join a mexican street gang.

Ha ha ha. The really good part is that as a foreigner in an American jail he's disqualified from going to one of those cushy white-collar nicks they keep for people like him.

Pompous bloviating asset-stripping twat.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Shadenfreude is such an ugly emotion, but....

I'm loving the fact that Conrad Black is going to jail.
My exact sentiments.
I hate his arrogance and belief that he is above the law. His description of everyone who questioned him as jealous "pygmies" who obviously weren't worthy to speak to a giant of his enormous intellect and stature.
I love the way that immediately after being instructed not to remove anything from his office he was filmed going there in the middle of the night and sneaking out with a load of filing cabinets filled with incriminating documents.
I love the way that he denied having a lavish lifestyle despite the fact that he spent $4000 on a towel heater and Barbara Amiel described her extravagance as "knowing no bounds". These things aren't illegal of course but they don't look good when you're in court. That's the whole stupid thing, he had hundreds of millions, why did he need to steal more?
I've always found him very bloviating too.

crackerjack

The other big loser here is the Telegraph. By all accounts (I'm not a reader) it was a better paper during his tenure than before or since.

So it's win-win for the rest of us.

crackerjack

Can we all take a second during the season of giving and goodwill to enjoy something totally mean-spirited.

Fallen media mogul Conrad Black was today sentenced to serve between 6.5 and 8 years years in a US jail, following his conviction earlier this year for embezzeling millions of dollars from his Hollinger media empire.

ps - has anyone read the Tom Bower book? I find his writing a bit hyperbolic and my interest in the subject stretches so far, but perhaps not 300+ pages worth.