Skweee

drilla

Has anyone heard of Skweee music? My friend stumbled across its existence while searching for a certain kind of electronic hip hop he could only hear in his head... and found something close in this weird Scandinavian hybrid of electro, autechre riddims, 8bit sounds, grime, and perhaps a bit of dubstep too. Though now that I know about it Joker sounds more like skweee (with better production values) than dubstep.

I don't know much myself yet, just got into it about a half hour ago, but this is the first place I thought to break the news. Search reveals nothing under "skwee*" so here it is.

From what I've gathered, there's only 10-15 major artists doing it so far, and they post on skweee forums and share their music via myspace. But the prime official release method seems to be 7" singles.

General info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skweee

Descriptive interview with a founding artist:
http://www.flowmagazine.net/more.php?id=45

Here's how he puts it: "Skweee is instrumental, quite primtive electronic music influenced by the rhythms of R'n'B, dancehall and funk. It usually consists of a "dirty" sound, vibes that make you think of early electro, techno and c-64 music. When you hear it, you know what Skweee is."

Some tunes I like:
http://www.myspace.com/eerojohannes

"lipton service boy" and "spilled milk 2001" especially

http://www.myspace.com/102670709

"nine iron" and "juicy juice" (reminds me of the ocean faring music from jaws for nes)

This is a great example of the same kind of do-it-with-what-you've-got phenomenon grime and reggeton are part of... and it's fascinating to have stumbled across it in its state of infancy (at least as i perceive it so far... maybe it's older than i realize?)

Anyone more knowledgeable want to fill me in?

Last edited:

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
seems a natural extension of the demoscene and the micromusic.net blokes?
pretty groovy :)

skweee grandpappy?

secretagentgel

wow, digging this. post-timbaland, post-8bit, post.. a dozen other things. reminds me of junior boys or zoot woman. most of these examples do seem to be lacking vocals tho. time to start digging.

swears

preppy-kei
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how this develops. The tunes I've listened to from those links all sound really ace, I'd be so chuffed if this was "the next big thing", not holding my breath though! ;)

drilla

wow, digging this. post-timbaland, post-8bit, post.. a dozen other things. reminds me of junior boys or zoot woman. most of these examples do seem to be lacking vocals tho. time to start digging.

yeah, they seem to define it as an instrumental genre, but my friend keeps saying 'why don't they rap over this'... i did find a Deja Vu remix on Beem's myspace that's pretty okay, but i'd like to hear some original stuff. not sure if i want emcees or some femmebots.. probably both

swears

preppy-kei
The best thing is that this combination of fake r'n'b beats and noisy video game music is the total oppoosite of what you might call "proper music". The fact that it's made by nerds rather than the sort of dopes still clinging to a tired idea of what's "cool" adds to the appeal.

Like Drilla, I've just accidently discovered this music whilst looking for something else this evening. figured i'd find a dissensus post on it!
anyone recomend a good retailer? Clone Records in Rotterdam seem to have a good selection...

tom pr

My friend Rob introduced me to this the other day actually. Timing! Bit shattered right now, but this topic's first post has much more info than either of us have managed to dig up, so nice one. I'll go through the sites tomorrow; I'm intrigued...

adruu

This Is It
already love the contributions that this genre has made to the Bad Puns thread =)

-We could be Skweeros
-I can Skwee clearly now

CHAOTROPIC

on account
Please god don't let them just rap all over it though. Such a lazy default. If they're going to go vocal to fire shots at the mainstream they should do something more original than that.

(Plus, Swedish rapping must sound like a cuckoo gargling.)

nomos

Administrator
oh you have to be making this up. skwee? i'll stick with my tripwire thank you :D

maybe, if i'm feeling adventurous, i'll check out this new twee gabber scene i heard about on irc.

Last edited: