Hip-Hop-1990-1993

petergunn

plywood violin
gotta bump this as i pulled out Black Bastards by KMD for the first time in a while...

it's def my favorite album from this period... just so fucking raw and weird... a perfect mix of gully and tripped out...

hucks

Your Message Here
Quick bump for this thread cos I found the fact that this article was written by Alan McGee so surprising.

His point about hip hop neglecting its past was something I'd never really thought of before. Certainly wasn't true ten or so years ago, cos I remember queueing round the block for Grandmaster Flash and all the hip hop originals who played near me would always get a sell out crowd. And there was that Run DMC revival thing with Jason Nevins going on at that time, too. As rubbish as it may have been.

Last edited:

gumdrops

weird to see that but OC was def not a proto gangsta rapper. he came out in 94 for gods sake! never mind that his first single was ANTI gangsta.

Last edited:

muser

naughty by nature - naughty by nature

monie love - down to earth

Queen Latifah - All Hail the Queen

Non-fiction is really good by black sheep also

Last edited:
Monie Love? come on man. she was straight up wack! i'd rather sit through Boss "Born Gangstaz" again than listen to that shit...and that thought isn't too appealing.

Naughty by Nature hardly stand up too well these days either. couple of party tunes and that's it.

i always thought EPMD "Business Never Personal" was way underrated from this era. Even EPMD fans seem to be down on that one. and it falls just outside, but Smif n Wessun "Dah Shinin" definitely had some, uh, "classic material".

No mentions for the uk crew in here...? how about "Gangster Chronicles"...."The Mighty Son of Noise" "The Lion Goes from Strength to Strength"...even "Dark Tales from Two Cities" has its interesting moments retrospectively. almost edges on a kind of afro-futurist vibe in places.

muser

Monie Love? come on man. she was straight up wack! i'd rather sit through Boss "Born Gangstaz" again than listen to that shit...and that thought isn't too appealing.

its good party music and she has a wickid flow imo. don't reckon anything from native tongues at that time can be described as fully wack regardless.

Last edited:

gumdrops

sticking with this era, if anyone knows any good blogs for late 80s to mid 90s dancehall, i would be grateful!

its good party music and she has a wickid flow imo. don't reckon anything from native tongues at that time can be described as fully wack regardless.

Moni Love and Chi Ali were wack. Weak links in the chain! The whole crew tendency in hip hop always results in few makeweights. Though in this case they actually picked Monie...why her and not Mell 'O'? ;) anyways- if it makes you move it's all good...not for me though

nomos

Administrator
gotta bump this as i pulled out Black Bastards by KMD for the first time in a while...

it's def my favorite album from this period... just so fucking raw and weird... a perfect mix of gully and tripped out...
i have a bootleg of it from 1994 - plain red sleeve, black and white label with a messed up tracklisting. i always assumed that zev/doom booted it himself when they got dropped but does anyone know more about it?

gumdrops

black bastards has been issued properly a couple of times.. one was on subverse i think, the other on doom's own metal face label. i still like my (incomplete) bootleg from 94 though, with the bass much louder than it should be. it always sounded less beefier on the offical versions.

petergunn

plywood violin
i have a bootleg of it from 1994 - plain red sleeve, black and white label with a messed up tracklisting. i always assumed that zev/doom booted it himself when they got dropped but does anyone know more about it?

is it on Fondle 'Em?

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Not that I know of...

According to Doom in early interviews the first bootlegs he saw/heard of "Black Bastards" came from Europe from different places and they all were out of sequence and/or missing tracks. This was before he even began seriously recording with Bobbitto for Fondle 'Em and years before he put out any of his Black Bastards material with Fondle 'Em. I first heard the "What A Niggy Know" instrumental off of a tape my friend got from a French girl back in 1994...I'd heard the song but never the instrumental. Years later, Large Professor unreleased album "The LP" appeared in Europe in a similar fashion and Large Pro himself received word that people in Europe were copping white label 12"'s of it in 1997.

One.

crackerjack

Though in this case they actually picked Monie...why her and not Mell 'O'?

Weren't her and one of the Jungle Brothers an item? Hazy memory, but I think that's how it went down.

first heard the "What A Niggy Know" instrumental off of a tape my friend got from a French girl back in 1994...I'd heard the song but never the instrumental.

That was the only single officially released before they got dropped and the album shelved. You can find the LP instrumental on the original 12" if you can find one.

nomos

Administrator
thanks PD

That was the only single officially released before they got dropped and the album shelved. You can find the LP instrumental on the original 12" if you can find one.
yeah on elektra. i got that in winter or spring 94 and found the bootleg in the summer. such a good 12" - always loved the bassline in constipated monkey

EDIT: there we are, i never thought to look for the boot on discogs http://www.discogs.com/release/243015

Last edited:

lissajou

OK, I'm likely to regret requesting this, but have any of you ever heard Nigga Bass' self titled LP?

Bore songs called "Fuck A Benz" and "I Miss Yo Pussy"?

Failed to purchase a 99 cent cassette copy I ran across in Portland circa 1994, and have been haunted by this poor decision ever since...

OK, I'm likely to regret requesting this, but have any of you ever heard Nigga Bass' self titled LP?

Bore songs called "Fuck A Benz" and "I Miss Yo Pussy"?

Failed to purchase a 99 cent cassette copy I ran across in Portland circa 1994, and have been haunted by this poor decision ever since...

There's one on amazon right now you know, just looked to see if they had audio clips because I've never heard of it.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
A little bit later but I'm compulsively listening to Mystic Journeymen at the moment, their 'Black Sands' track is blinding.

craner

Beast of Burden
I've just been watching footage of the 1995 Source awards. Totally gripping, tense as fuck, like hip hop's Altamont or something.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OAv5I-uS_p0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>