UK vs Russia diplomatic stand-off etc

IdleRich

IdleRich
So, as you all know, Litvinenko poisoned in London at (possible) great risk to the general public, the UK want to extradite Andrei Lugovoi - the only suspect they have - but Russia say it's against their constitution and refuse. Britain has now expelled four Russian diplomats and, while they wait the inevitable response, has been trying to get the EU on its side with little in the way of success.
Thing is, as far as I can seem the UK can't really do anything and they will probably come off worst in any hostilities what with the energy situation and everything. But on the other hand they can't just let someone (possibly sponsored by a foreign government) go leaving radioactive poison all around London can they?
Maybe Russia can't contravene their constitution, especially when the UK refuses to extradite Berezovsky - or is that different because it's decided by a court rather than the government? Either way it hardly helped matters that Berezovsky said all that stuff about how there needs to be a revolution in Russia but possibly the UK have caused all these problems for themselves by being such a haven to rich (and dodgy?) Russian exiles.
I reckon it's a huge mess, but what's going to happen?

Russian politics has gone extremely darkside again (if there was ever a moment when it wasn't).

In a way it's good to see the govt. do the right thing morally by expelling diplomats, although at the same time you're right, it's probably the wrong thing in pragmatic terms.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I think Russia might not retaliate and go for the moral high ground instead. There was news today that the reaction from other EU states hasn't been as unequivocably pro-Britain as people here were expecting. Russia might use the issue to drive a wedge between Britain and the US, who are a bit pissed off about our giving houseroom to dodgy Russian oligarchs so easily. I think a lot of states might privately think that if you play with fire in this way, you're gonna get burned, and not be too sympathetic towards Britain.

Incidentally, has anyone else noticed that the way we treat Berezofsky is remarkably similar to our attitude towards islamic extremists a decade ago? I wonder if we'll be locking him up without charge in 2017?