why i <3 new york

polymorphic

Spatt Mendlove
Just comin to the end of a two week stay and I'd have to agree. Wicked city.

Only slight gripe was gettin asked for ID and refused entry (don't tend to carry my passport) to FK's deepspacenyc night @ cielo :(

Wanted to check out "outer planetary dub" !

N

nomadologist

Just comin to the end of a two week stay and I'd have to agree. Wicked city.

Only slight gripe was gettin asked for ID and refused entry (don't tend to carry my passport) to FK's deepspacenyc night @ cielo :(

Wanted to check out "outer planetary dub" !

shit, i know!! i spent years going to odessa because it was th only place that didn't card me.

sometimes if you can get on the list, you don't get carded at the door. next time you come you should ask around dissensus, maybe some new yorkers here could help you in that dept :)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
he's like mr. t if mr. t reeeally reeeally loved detroit techno and marvel comics

Why don't people like him get fucking reality TV shows? I wanna see what his apartment looks like, I bet it's all funfur and Parliament records and silver wallpaper, and mysterious devices to contact his friends on intergalactic missions.

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
In the two short years I've lived here, I've got the impression that New York's unique character is drying up a little because of the increased "suburbinization" of the town. Every week a new glass hive of condos for i-bankers goes up on The Lower East Side, and walking past the new Whole Foods there and seeing soccer moms illegally parking SUVs outside makes me feel like I'm somewhere in Delaware.

Having said that - Deep Space at Cielo is pretty fantastic.

Leo

In the two short years I've lived here, I've got the impression that New York's unique character is drying up a little because of the increased "suburbinization" of the town. Every week a new glass hive of condos for i-bankers goes up on The Lower East Side, and walking past the new Whole Foods there and seeing soccer moms illegally parking SUVs outside makes me feel like I'm somewhere in Delaware.

spot on. welcome to nyc, constantly changing and usually not for the better.

for what it's worth, i thought the same thing (to a lesser degree) when i moved here in 1978...everyone has their romantic vision about what it will be like and then neighborhoods change and some of that gloss gets tarnished.

still, it's worse now than ever before. it all goes back to real estate: crime rate comes down, suburbanites start to feel "safer," real estate developers pick up on the scent and cater to them by building horrible "luxury condos" (and jack rents in general), i-bankers et al move in, artists move out, city gets a little more bland. the bottom line to everything in nyc in money; a real estate agent wouldn't know "unique character" if it bit him in the ass...hell, they decsribe developments in hoboken and jersey city as "a new york state of mind"!

N

nomadologist

That is just a normal person in certain parts of New York.

I will be in NY 1 month from now :)

you're right, it's funny because it's true.

i can offer to tell you the fun places to go, but peter gunn would know best for dubstep people.

N

nomadologist

Having said that - Deep Space at Cielo is pretty fantastic.

god don't go to park slope if you think Union Square Whole Foods is bad!

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I've wanted to go to New York for a while now, if not only to see what Toronto spends all of its time pathetically trying to live up to.

nomad, would love to know cool places to go to see the great dancers you mentioned in the other thread.

i am not a dubstep person anyway....
the coolest thing i have been to in NY was an outdoor party in flushing meadows with frankie bones and other house & techno DJs in the park.

generally I end up at trendy things with williamsburg people that grew up in illinois but I want to meet real newyorkers.

it's weird how you get an imaginary idea of places from growing up seeing films set in NY, listening to hip hop etc and then you go there and it's completely different. I wanted NY to be like Wild Style and Beat Street but ended up in a hip hop club with all white people :-/

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
First time I visited NY I ended up at Tonic watching John Zorn and Suzie Ibarra the night I got there.

It was EXACTLY how I imagined it would be LOL.

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
williamsburg people that grew up in illinois but I want to meet real newyorkers.

Midwesterners living in W'burg get given a lot of shit, but I'd say that they're real New Yorkers as much as anyone else who wasn't born and raised in the 5 boroughs. So some of them have stupid haircuts and wear jeans that are too tight (this year anyway) but some of them are also the people making the music and art and throwing the parties that keep New York interesting. Real, real New Yorkers aren't always that great anyway. Of the handful of the people I know who grew up in Manhattan, most had massive drug problems by the time they were 22, have no interest in music and drink way too much (they are fun to go drinking with though). The coolest New Yorkers I know are all from Jersey or Long Island anyway.

(Disclaimer: I'm not even from America)

IdleRich

IdleRich
Midwesterners living in W'burg get given a lot of shit, but I'd say that they're real New Yorkers as much as anyone else who wasn't born and raised in the 5 boroughs
I've heard people saying similar things about London. I imagine it might be quite controversial with some people on here but I would say that there is something in it. The whole thing that makes it what it is is that loads of people come from all over and get assimilated and become "proper Londoners".

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
I think that cities like London and New York only have the edge that they do because people come from all over, drawn by the fact that people before them have gone there to reinvent themselves and, in some way, make these places their own.

I'd say that there are probably more quintessential Londoners that are actually from London than there are quintessential New Yorkers that are actually from New York, perhaps due to the size of the US vs the size of the UK and the fact that there are far fewer cities in the US that can compete with New York as a source of art, culture and business. The concept is probably also less controversial in New York since it has always been an immigrant city (I saw a stat a little while ago that indicated that something like 40% of the population is non-US born).

Last edited: