Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stewart Home vs Tony Wakefield

There's a new blog covering this territory:

http://www.whomakesthenazis.com/

Some good bits on Wakeford's time in the NF etc.

So is Tony Wakeford politically suspect? If he is it's news to ME!

Quote Originally Posted by STN View Post
    So is Tony Wakeford politically suspect? If he is it's news to ME!
    Somebody told me this ages ago, but all I see is a jolly, rotund folk musician, trying to spread his music of peace and good will.

there's no way that anyone would want to subvert folk music for some right wing agenda

I think the line is crossed once you go from making folk music to making Volk music.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Were all those bands that slicked their hair back and dressed up like yuppies in the 80s flirting with near-right imagery? And wasn't their some brief micro-fad for Thatcher dresses and handbags a few years back?

I used to listen to a lot of England's Hidden Reverse-related music. I think I was taken by how genuinely outsider-y and underground it all seemed. Like, you were either really into it or you simply didn't know it existed. But I've increasingly been haunted by the feeling that this particular underground is a haven for actual, bona fide creeps. I feel really sad - for instance - that I can't bring myself to listen to Coil any more but... I can't even stand to talk about it, really... I'll shut up.

Death in June are very scary.

Quote Originally Posted by connect_icut View Post
    I think I was taken by how genuinely outsider-y and underground it all seemed. Like, you were either really into it or you simply didn't know it existed.
    I only really got familiar with C93/DIJ through seeing their records over and over again, at places like Sister Ray, Resurrection, Garageland, etc, while I was looking for other industrial stuff. Amusingly, the only person in the world who seemed to be writing about DIJ back then was...Stewart Home. I haven't got it now, but I'm sure there's a chapter in 'Defiant Pose' where he goes on about their 80s stuff and has a pop at liberal elitists who accused them of being nazis (my memory may be out on this). Then again, in retrospect, the lyrics to 'Death of the West' are kind of blatant, no?

I feel really sad - for instance - that I can't bring myself to listen to Coil any more but..
    Why? I know there was some crossover with certain characters, ie guest appearances, but I don't think everyone who was involved in that scene should be automatically tainted, and Coil don't seem any more mixed up in all this than Annie Anxiety or Strawberry Switchblade...

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Why? I know there was some crossover with certain characters, ie guest appearances, but I don't think everyone who was involved in that scene should be automatically tainted, and Coil don't seem any more mixed up in all this than Annie Anxiety or Strawberry Switchblade...
    It's a different issue... Some of the stuff Sleazy's been saying recently just really disturbs and upsets me... I can't really talk about it... It's not fair of me to make judgements about people's personal choices... But I don't have to listen to his music either...

It's a different issue... Some of the stuff Sleazy's been saying recently just really disturbs and upsets me... I can't really talk about it... It's not fair of me to make judgements about people's personal choices... But I don't have to listen to his music either...
    Oh? I've obviously missed this, what kind of stuff? (I am really out of the loop with that scene in general). ((PS - if you don't wanna talk about it, cool, can somebody else fill me in with a link, plz?)).

Fair enough, by the way.

Default Stewart Home vs Tony Wakefield

Patrick Stewart is a much better actor but I bet Bill Shatner could kick his fucking ass and pick up more chicks in the process...

It's all kicking off on whomakesthenazis at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    It's all kicking off on whomakesthenazis at the moment
    I can't tell if this is an elaborate hoax by Home or not. It's certainly very funny, but I associate Home with rampant egotism and this seems weirdly out of character as far as that goes. On the other hand, it can't possibly be serious. Right? Anyone got the inside skinny?