eutow

tht

akstavrh
the autechre track with the sublime pitchbendy synth intro that's so good they don't really know what to do with it

has this effect been used with comparable success elsewhere (with computers not violins)?

tht

akstavrh
just to discount the namechecks for xenakis etc

although any portamento fun could be welcome too

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I do like that one, one of their rare danceable moments. I always think it sounds like they were really high on E when they made that riff - maybe that's why you think they don't know where to go with it - they were just rushing on the sound.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, kind of a highpoint for Autechre in my books, love the pair of tracks 'Eutow' and then 'C/Pach'. Got diminishing returns from Chiastic Slide and everything they've done in the last ... 12 years. :slanted: Ah well.

At the time it reminded me of Derrick May's weird beatless 'Kaotic Harmony' or something. When that starts building up in intensity and then suddenly dips it's pretty 'Eutow'-ish. Mind you, I don't know much Detroit techno, this could be all over techno tracks from the time.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Derrick May was certainly fond of his pitch-bend.

I think you're right, it was a bit of Detroit motif at the time.

elgato

I just dont know
this is such an amazing track, i love the whole LP so much

i think they know exactly what to do with that riff, matter of opinion though!

for a vaguely similar synth line with addictive descending pitch bend check Alex Smoke - Brian's Lung (the edit from the Incommunicado LP not the 'Inflated Mix')... much less serene, much more ardcore and nutty but so good!

mms

sometimes
this has been said before in a recent thread but lots of detroit techno uses portamento as does alot of grime.

haex

I'm sure Bochum Welt done a neat tune with portamento/pitch bend similar to that in Eutow, unfortunately cant remember the name of the track.(>_<) I have just finished listening a track by Black Lung and Xingu Hill, called The Mysteries of the Worm which is intense as hell...Derrick May/Rhythim is Rhythim is pretty banging, but i could never find anything else like it. Nude Photo sends me into spasms of liquid cyber-joy! Anything comparable to May or is he alone in style?