Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Timbaland Steals Arabic Music

Quote Originally Posted by gumdrops View Post
    http://www.cocaineblunts.com/blunts/?p=3924

more in the comments boxes about timbaland/dnb etc.
    lol@the poster calling himself titchyschneider

the rap blog world is so weird and bitchy

"can u please restrict these ridiculous CHALLENGING OPINIONS to dissensus kthnx"

reading those comments makes me glad that i don't read many music boards...it's like reading the comments on the Guardian website or something.

and, more constructively:

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/vie...ms-Vibrations/

looks a pretty cool sample ID site.

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/vie...rizon%20Drive/ this one in particular is an impressive spot (on Premier's part)
    Last edited by baboon2004; 03-09-2009 at 01:09 AM.

I dunno, the quality of comments at CB was actually pretty high until quite recently. it's the only music blog I read, mostly for Noz's writing, but he also covers a ton of stuff, he's eclectic - within the large world of rap - in a way that most writers just aren't. I usually pop up whenever he writes about a tangential rap connection to Chicago House or ardkore (he did a post on Frankie Bones playing that Success-N-Effect record w/the Amen in it awhile back) or whatever.

there's also a bunch of really great features in the archives from over the years - tons of stuff about the Dungeon Family, the Outsidaz, UGK, the Project Blowed/Good Life scene from early-mid 90s LA.

CB is the best rap blog, period. Noz is genuinely witty, smart and incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to rap.

Who cares if he's not into all things nuum? I would rather respectfully disagree with him on the musical merit of x than to see him concede to something he clearly thinks is bullshit.

Timbaland jamming to Black Dice > bickering.

there's that holly valance - kiss kiss song as well

Padraig:
    American rap heads are the most solipsistic dudes ever.
    haha, it's true.
    Whatever though, the British have been taking American music and making it displeasurable to them forever. This is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by tartablanca View Post
    Who cares if he's not into all things nuum? I would rather respectfully disagree with him on the musical merit of x than to see him concede to something he clearly thinks is bullshit.
    the problem isn't with Noz - my discussions w/him are always good, making connections rather building walls kinda thing - it's w/certain CB commenters &/or anonymous elements of the CB fanbase. & I think you'd be surprised about the breadth of dude's taste - occasionally the odd comment pops up about Autechre or, more interestingly, Terry Riley or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Boy View Post
    Whatever though, the British have been taking American music and making it displeasurable to them forever.
    it's true. tho that's mostly to do with that close-mindedness. which is probably more of an American thing than a rap necessarily, tho rap heads take it to ludicrous extremes.

wonder what they'll all make of that mixtape coming out with the original vocals over dubstep beats.. http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=102766

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    the problem isn't with Noz - my discussions w/him are always good, making connections rather building walls kinda thing - it's w/certain CB commenters &/or anonymous elements of the CB fanbase. & I think you'd be surprised about the breadth of dude's taste - occasionally the odd comment pops up about Autechre or, more interestingly, Terry Riley or something like that.
    Yes, some of the comments there are horrible, but that's pretty much the case with every comments section out there. For what it's worth Noz's breadth reaches far beyond Ae & Riley; e.g. I remember him referencing that Péloquin & Sauvageau LP someplace a few years ago.

I would wager the solipsism of scenes works on both sides of the Atlantic. If you dare make a disparaging remark about a hallowed garage or jungle tune you get ripped on here. Same as you would on CB, although I've never read comments there, and I'm not a regular reader of it...

but British dudes (or dudes, ahem, into British music) would never deny the overwhelming influence of American popular music. as Sick Boy said, it's practically a British tradition to take some kind of American music & alter it such that it becomes thoroughly unpalatable to Americans. there's a difference between solipsism & sacred cows, at least the way I understand the concept of solipsism.

@Tartablanca - oh yeah sure. all kinds of cool weird stuff pops up on CB, that's a big part of the appeal.

Timbaland rips off Arabic music?
    I like Timbo and all, but I personally feel that he should be forced to give credit to the Arabic composers and producers who originally created these songs. Here’s a list below to show you the proof of Timbaland’s plagiarism of Arabic music.

Jay-Z – “Big Pimpin” (Abdel Halim Hafez – “Khosara”)

Aaliyah – “Don’t Know What To Tell Ya” (Warda – “Batwanness Bik”)

Aaliyah – “More Than A Woman” (Mayada El Hennawi – “Alouli Ensa”)

Petey Pablo – “Raise Up” (Um Kulthoum – “Enta Omri”)

Ms. Jade – “Dead Wrong” (Kazem El Saher “El Zaman”)

Missy Elliott – “One Minute Man” (Joanna Mallah – “La Mostahel”)

Justin Timberlake – “(Oh No) What You Got” (Debka Druz – “Debka of the Druz”)

Utada Hikaru – “Exodus ’04” (Aitha Al Menhali – “Meshkeltek")

Ne-Yo and Fabulous – “Makes Me Better” (Sherine – “Aal Saaban Aleh”)

Nelly Furtado "Wait for You" (Muhlis Akarsu – “Allah Allah Desem Gelsem”)

Update: for the 2nd link, go here instead:

Update 2:
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...s2ZT02qV8TbNvS

good comments from a decade ago