Timbaland Steals Arabic Music

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
Lots of Muddy's songs were written by Willie Dixon...*goes off to check*...the LPs I've got with that track both credit to McKinley Morganfield, Muddy's real name. he died in 83 which should mean it's still copyrighted, I think.

Willie Dixon was the in house producer at Chess records.He was smart enough to claim composers credit for a great deal of songs that were traditional in origin or written by other people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Dixon

''David Johansen tells a story about how Dixon used to offer meals to songwriters newly in Chicago from the Delta in exchange to rights for their songs. Johansen claims Hoochie Coochie Man was one such song and called Dixon 'The Vampire of the Blues'.''

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

crackerjack

Willie Dixon was the in house producer at Chess records.He was smart enough to claim composers credit for a great deal of songs that were traditional in origin or written by other people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Dixon

''David Johansen tells a story about how Dixon used to offer meals to songwriters newly in Chicago from the Delta in exchange to rights for their songs. Johansen claims Hoochie Coochie Man was one such song and called Dixon 'The Vampire of the Blues'.''

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

I'd never heard that before, thanks. Does that mean the grandchildren of some unknown blues man are owed zillions over Whole Lotta Love?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Likewise Alan Freed used to play songs on his shows in exchange for song-writing credits.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'd never heard that before, thanks. Does that mean the grandchildren of some unknown blues man are owed zillions over Whole Lotta Love?

So Dixon might not even have written 'You Need Love'? Slightly perverse that he managed to get cash out of Led Zeppelin over WLL, if that's the case!

crackerjack

No doubt song-buying was a common practice. Bobby Bland's records are all credited to 'D Malone', a non-existent man invented by Don Robey to snaffle up songwriter's rights for a pittance. (Vimothy will probably be on in a mo to explain how this is all for the best in the best of all worlds).

swears

preppy-kei
Those Two Fingers tunes aren't much cop, the second one just sounds like a lamer version of what Supercollider were doing ten years ago. It's all a bit too serious and tastefully "dark", the beauty of the best Timb productions is in the hooks and the fun, even the straight out goofiness sometimes.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I dunno, the quality of comments at CB was actually pretty high until quite recently. it's the only music blog I read, mostly for Noz's writing, but he also covers a ton of stuff, he's eclectic - within the large world of rap - in a way that most writers just aren't. I usually pop up whenever he writes about a tangential rap connection to Chicago House or ardkore (he did a post on Frankie Bones playing that Success-N-Effect record w/the Amen in it awhile back) or whatever.

there's also a bunch of really great features in the archives from over the years - tons of stuff about the Dungeon Family, the Outsidaz, UGK, the Project Blowed/Good Life scene from early-mid 90s LA.

tartablanca

capped
CB is the best rap blog, period. Noz is genuinely witty, smart and incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to rap.

Who cares if he's not into all things nuum? I would rather respectfully disagree with him on the musical merit of x than to see him concede to something he clearly thinks is bullshit.

Timbaland jamming to Black Dice > bickering.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Padraig:
American rap heads are the most solipsistic dudes ever.

haha, it's true.
Whatever though, the British have been taking American music and making it displeasurable to them forever. This is nothing new.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Who cares if he's not into all things nuum? I would rather respectfully disagree with him on the musical merit of x than to see him concede to something he clearly thinks is bullshit.

the problem isn't with Noz - my discussions w/him are always good, making connections rather building walls kinda thing - it's w/certain CB commenters &/or anonymous elements of the CB fanbase. & I think you'd be surprised about the breadth of dude's taste - occasionally the odd comment pops up about Autechre or, more interestingly, Terry Riley or something like that.

Whatever though, the British have been taking American music and making it displeasurable to them forever.

it's true. tho that's mostly to do with that close-mindedness. which is probably more of an American thing than a rap necessarily, tho rap heads take it to ludicrous extremes.

tartablanca

capped
the problem isn't with Noz - my discussions w/him are always good, making connections rather building walls kinda thing - it's w/certain CB commenters &/or anonymous elements of the CB fanbase. & I think you'd be surprised about the breadth of dude's taste - occasionally the odd comment pops up about Autechre or, more interestingly, Terry Riley or something like that.

Yes, some of the comments there are horrible, but that's pretty much the case with every comments section out there. For what it's worth Noz's breadth reaches far beyond Ae & Riley; e.g. I remember him referencing that Péloquin & Sauvageau LP someplace a few years ago.