Tech-Tard Question I Need Help With

satanmcnugget

i like to download music off the internet and burn it to CD-R...i dont own a personal computer, so i cant store it there and keep it indefinitely...i use a program called Nero Street Smart at a local net cafe to burn it onto disc

recently i discovered an amazing net community that offers up albums in their entirety for downloading...there are several albums posted that i want to download and burn onto disc sooo badly...but they are available only as WinRar files...now as i understand it, these are only compressed mp3 files

so, i guess the question i have is, why wont Nero Street Smart allow me to burn them onto disc?...does anyone know how to convert WinRar files into easier to handle mp3s?

nomos

Administrator
Hey Robert. Yeah RAR files are actually compressed archives, like ZIP. So the RAR isn't the actual MP3 but a container for them. The way that they're different from ZIPs is that a ZIP will put everything into a single archive, whereas RAR tends to break the archive down into numbered segments (00, 01, 02...) that recombine themselves in sequence when you un-archive them.

So what you need first is the program called WinRar to un-rar them. Then Nero should be able to make your audio disc.

Hope that makes sense :slanted:

smn

Ever used WinZip? If so, same thing, different name. If not, read on...

The mp3 files you want are contained inside the WinRAR files. The purpose of doing this is - as you mention - to compress them and ease their passage through the internet. In order to get at these you need the WinRAR application itself which you can download from here: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm (the file you want is the first one listed - WinRAR 3.70). Once you've downloaded it you need to install it. Once you've installed it you'll be able to open the WinRAR files and extract the mp3 files it contains to the local disk on the computer you're using. You're then free to burn the mp3 files or do with them as you want.

One problem I forsee is using a computer in an internet cafe. Chances are you won't be able to install anything yourself. Guess they might do it for you though.

Good luck!

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I accidentally dropped some zipped mp3s into winamp the other day and it played them, sort of. Not suggesting this as any kind of solution.