global financial crash yay!

DJ PIMP

haha yeah it's pretty funny to see. someone needs to mention to them that the strongest financial systems that didn't implode were zero reserve systems in Canada and New Zealand (Australia too maybe?)
Australia is in a housing bubble with prices up to 9 x median annual income in some cities.

NZ - generally people seem to be holding their breath.

rumble

maybe the case, but it's kind of besides the point. Canada has a pretty bubblicious housing market as well. Pretty much everyone in the western world had a housing bubble, Canada's and Australia's just never really burst because they had a stronger financial systems, stronger economies and exposure to China's stimulus spending via natural resources. Australia also passed probably the best designed stimulus package of anyone in the world.

If oil and iron ore etc. didn't rebound, you probably would have seen more of a fall in Australian and Canadian home prices. the fall still would have been more gradual than those elsewhere - but that's a good thing.

The only point I was making there is that reserve requirements actually have no use in a modern system. New Zealand and Canada have the most advanced monetary systems in the world and they don't have any reserve requirements. The US Federal Reserve system is to the NZ/Canadian system as a Shelby Cobra is to a Bugatti Veyron

vimothy

yurp
Look, this is just irrelevant. The quantity of reserves (fiat currency) has nothing to do with the quantity of loans (credit money) being made. Nothing. There is no gold standard any more. The fact that the Fed is about to abandon reserve requirements is proof of that fact.

rumble

"The quantity of reserves (fiat currency) has nothing to do with the quantity of loans (credit money) being made. Nothing."

Not true. Just because pushing on a string doesn't increase loans, that doesn't mean that pulling on the string (reducing reserves) won't constrain loans. Raising reserve requirements and/or reducing the supply of reserves will shrink credit growth.

vimothy

yurp
The price is set and quantity floats. Any CB with an interest rate mandate does not control the quantity of reserves. If banks require reserves, the CB must supply them, or abandon the target.

Last edited:

rumble

Yeah, that's a BETTER way to do it, but not the only way.

" If banks require reserves, the CB must supply them, or abandon the target"

That's exactly what Volcker did. You can either endogenize the interest rate or the supply of reserves. Obviously letting the quantity of reserves float is better than floating the interest rate, but it can go either way.

rumble

what do you mean?

I'm guessing that you would say it's still all about the interest rate, even if the Fed is letting it float?

vimothy

yurp
I suspect that we're mostly in agreement. If the Fed targeted reserve volume, it could drain or inject as much as it wanted to. The overnight rate would bounce all over the place (since demand for reserves is highly inelastic), and this would bleed through in to short and long term rates. This is the theory. But it is a different institutional set up--that's what I meant.

There are, however, problems even with this (i.e. with monetarism). The first problem is that only M1 has required reserves. The second problem is that the lagged accounting used to calculate requirements is such that the Fed still ends up supplying the desired reserves anyway (and even contemporaneous reserve accounting is lagged). In practice the Fed doesn't actually control reserves and doesn't control the money supply.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
Wow, talking of the BoC & monetary policy, this looks good:

There is a lot of irony with the current situation. What is now called conventional monetary policy is a slightly modified version of the kind of policy implementation advocated since the late 1950s by heterodox and post-Keynesian economists such as Richard Kahn (1972) and Nicholas Kaldor (1964) and that was put forth by Bank of England officials to the Radcliffe Committee. It has become conventional policy once more since the early 1990s, after the demise of monetarism in the mid 1980s. By contrast, unconventional monetary policy, in particular quantitative easing, is the kind of monetary policy implementation that can be found in nearly every neoclassical textbook and that central bank economists faked to pursue in an effort to appease their academic colleagues and as a response to both politicians and an outraged public (Bindseil, 2004; Tucker, 2004). Officials at the Bank of Canada are quite aware of this paradox, and are obviously uncomfortable with it, as the following statement shows.

“Although quantitative easing is now referred to as an unconventional monetary policy tool, the purchase of government securities is, in fact, the conventional textbook approach to monetary policy…. In practice, most central banks have chosen to conduct monetary policy by targeting the price of liquidity because the relationship between the amount of liquidity provided by the central bank and monetary aggregates on the one hand, and between monetary aggregates and aggregate demand and inflation on the other, are not very stable.” (Bank of Canada, 2009b, p. 26).​

The Bank of Canada thus feels compelled to recall that monetary aggregates are very badly correlated with price inflation, and that base money is also very badly correlated with the money supply. To provide excess bank reserves, as recommended by Monetarists, central banks must decline to sterilize its liquidity creating financial operations or it must conduct open market operations by purchasing assets. As pointed out by Deputy Governor John Murray (2009), “All quantitative easing is, by definition, ‘unsterilized’. Although this is correctly viewed as unconventional, it closely resembles the way monetary policy is described in most undergraduate textbooks, and is broadly similar to how it was conducted in the heyday of monetarism”. Murray misleadingly insinuates that such a technique has been implemented before, namely during the 1975-1982 monetarist experiment in Canada. What can really be said is that quantitative easing is an attempt to put in practice what academics have been preaching in their textbooks for decades from their ivory towers. It is merely monetarism but in reverse gear. While monetarist policy of the 1970s was implemented to reduce the rate of inflation, current monetarist quantitative easing is being applied to generate an increase in the rate of inflation.

As a result, the claims of quantitative easing are just as misleading as the claims of monetarism of the 1970s and early 1980s. Bank of Canada officials claim that “The expansion of the amount of settlement balances available to [banks] would encourage them to acquire assets or increase the supply of credit to households and businesses. This would increase the supply of deposits” (Bank of Canada, 2009b, p. 26), adding that quantitative easing injects “additional central bank reserves into the financial system, which deposit-taking institutions can use to generate additional loans” (Murray, 2009). In our opinion, these statements are misleading and indeed completely wrong. They rely on the monetarist causation, endorsed in all neoclassical textbooks, which goes from reserves to credit and monetary aggregates. It implies that banks wait to get reserves before granting new loans. This has been demonstrated to be completely false in the world of no compulsory reserves in which we live since 1994. In any event, even before 1994, as argued by a former official at the Bank of Canada, the task of central banks is precisely to provide the amount of base money that banks require (Clinton, 1991). Banks do not wait for new reserves to grant credit. What they are looking for are creditworthy borrowers.

Quantitative easing is an essentially useless channel. It assumes that credit is supply-constrained. It assumes that banks will grant more loans because they have more settlement balances. Both of these assumptions are likely to be false, at least in Canada. With the possible exception of its impact on the term structure of interest rates, the only effect of quantitative easing might be to lower interest rates on some assets relative to the target overnight rate, as these assets are being purchased by the central bank through its open market operations. It is doubtful that the amplitude of these interest rate changes will have any impact on private borrowing or on the exchange rate. Indeed, in Japan, which has had experience with zero interest rates for many years, quantitative easing was pursued relentlessly between 2001 and 2004, but with no effect, as “the expansion of reserves has not been associated with an expansion of bank lending” (MacLean, 2006, p. 96). Indeed, officials at the Bank of Japan did not themselves believe that quantitative easing could on its own be of any help, but they tried it anyway as a result of the pressure and advice of international experts. As Ito (2004, p. 27) notes in relation to the Bank of Japan, “Given that the interest rate is zero, no policy measures are available to lift the inflation rate to positive territory… The Bank did not have the tools to achieve it”.​

rumble

Yeah, I don't put much stock in the Chinese stats though. Also he renminbi isn't as undervalued vs. most other currencies as it is for the US, and I'm sure that China is still running a surplus with the US.

rumble

yeah I've got them working, but I can't say that I've been able to do anything useful with them.
i don't know eviews and it seems pretty unwieldly

rumble

uh not sure if I've even got that far, but I just double clicked the prg file, then it opens up all the data and graphs it