Prague

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I'm off there at the end of the month, any recommendations? Music, bars, drugs, cheap recording studios, whatever, I know very little about the place.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I'm off there at the end of the month, any recommendations? Music, bars, drugs, cheap recording studios, whatever, I know very little about the place.
If your guidebook tells you about cubist architecture and tells you to go and look at a few classic examples, don't bother. It's possibly the most underwhelming style of architecture I've ever seen.

PeteUM

It's all grist
Haven't been since the mid 90s but Radost FX (sp?) was a nice place to sit, drink a beer and have a really decent veggie chilli.

ripley

There's a big goofy reggae scene

where you really need to go is this awesome bar called Wakata in Prague 7, holesovice (I think). they do all kinds of music, serve snacks and tea and lots of drinks. Foosball in the back (table football or whatever you call it). Kind of a dready, skater vibe in parts but really nice people and laidback. I've spun a jungle set there every now and again.

Radost FX also does a nice sunday brunch..

also freetekno - I mean, Czechtech is legendary (not in prague but people come from there). The big club is the Roxy and mondays is there "local" night, it's a tossup but entertaining. Upstairs at the Roxy is an internet cafe.

there was a little squatted bar called Zion that plays some good reggae, I'll try to track down the location. It's not in old town, it's in a student area.

also a big warehouse that does big parties on the edge of town, called Abaton.

and for breakfast at least once go to the Palfy Palac - it's an old palace that has been turned into a restaurant. Down at the bottom of the gardens that lead up to the Castle. Super fancy, amazing service, good food, but really affordable (especially for anyone who spends in pounds, you lucky dogs)

There's a really laidback wine bar on the river at the far side of the Charles Bridge, go right off the bridge and walk a few hundred feet it's on the left. The main street in front of you is touristy with a supermarket on it (and a decent expensive cafe bakery on the left 1 block down), but off to the right is the side street you want.

Bohemia bagels are crap. they have internet access though.

adruu

This Is It
there was one bar, im sorry but im completely useless as to the name, but it was a series of descending caverns, each farther and farter down, connected by small twisting stairwells.

it was in the super touristy central part of town, so it wasnt edgy at all, but it definitely was one of the coolest spaces i've been in.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Wicked thanks everyone - esp. Ripley, thank you! - much, much appreciated, I'm gonna be doing stuff over there and totally haven't got a clue what sort of vibe I should be catering to. Lol not that that's ever done me any good when I HAVE known...

john eden

male pale and stale
I think the best bit of prague for me was just wandering about, really.

I really really liked all the mad stories about Rabbi Loew and his Golem.

STN

sou'wester
You can't beat a good Golem, for sure. The Svankmeyer museum (in his house) is surely worth a visit.

zhao

there are no accidents
where you really need to go is this awesome bar called Wakata in Prague 7, holesovice (I think). they do all kinds of music, serve snacks and tea and lots of drinks. Foosball in the back (table football or whatever you call it). Kind of a dready, skater vibe in parts but really nice people and laidback. I've spun a jungle set there every now and again.

was booked to play there but got canceled somehow. maybe next time. switched to this place instead http://www.palacakropolis.cz/

thanks for the other info... off this wed... cheers!

catalog

heyup just giving a bump to this thread cos I'm off to prague in mid may for a weekend and wanted to know if anyone's got tips, espesh for a big saturday nite out. cheers

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
heyup just giving a bump to this thread cos I'm off to prague in mid may for a weekend and wanted to know if anyone's got tips, espesh for a big saturday nite out. cheers
where did you end up going? i'm thinking of taking a bus to prague this weekend.

craner

Beast of Burden
You have to wade through floods of British lads on stag dos in Prague, it's incredible.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
sounds like amsterdam. i was kinda hoping there wouldn't be any stag parties this year though.

catalog

where did you end up going? i'm thinking of taking a bus to prague this weekend.
I cant remember. It was my stag do. At one point we were on a boat, that was good. And in the daytime we went to a nice park where you got a good view of the city. I remember having some nice chats with people.

IdleRich

IdleRich
When I was at Uni in the... some time ago anyway, everyone talked about Prague as this wonderful paradise where you could go and everything was beautiful and beers cost 3p a pint. Lots of my friends went and raved about it. In fact a group of us from uni planned to go and I think in the end they did go but lack of funds prevented me from attending. They came back having had a wonderful time.
Later I was going out with a girl and she had a friend in Hungary so we went to Budapest and had a great holiday - but always in the back of my mind was this feeling that Budapest was a poor man's Prague. Again I was left wondering about what it would be like to one day visit this incredible utopia.
A few years back it was my girlfriend's birthday and we managed to book a long weekend in Prague. At last that itch would be scratched, some twenty years later than originally planned, but still.
So we went and.... well, it was ok. But overall kinda underwhelming somehow. There were pretty bits but they were overrun with tourists and they weren't much more than pretty. There was a load of Kafka stuff, fair enough, he lived there after all - though his writing was all in German I believe.
The areas that were supposed to be kicking didn't seem to be lively at all. It was fine, we had a decent enough time, enjoyed the food (which a friend once described as like Christmas dinner every day, presumably in reference to the jams and creams which are served with pork and so on at almost every meal) and some of the architecture etc etc Really it seemed like a poor man's Budapest where, at least according to my limited experience, it had been so much easier to find cool stuff to do as well as tourist stuff (admittedly we had some advice from locals which made a big difference) and which is arguably more beautiful.
When I got back and said we'd been there suddenly loads of people started coming out of the woodwork saying how they had found Prague disappointing and so on. Like really quite a lot of people. But no-one had said that in the twenty odd years I'd been wanting to go there, kinda weird.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Still there was an amazing moment there which gave me a LOT of pleasure. At the end of our trip we had to get a cab to the airport and got chatting to the driver. It was a fairly long journey and I was looking for stuff to say and so (typical me) I started basically apologising for the tourists (especially stag weekend types) from the UK being such cunts. But the driver interrupted me and said that actually the English etc weren't so bad really, just a bit drunken and stupid but basically friendly enough, meaning no real harm at the end of the day. He did however have a big problem with Russians and - not realising that my girlfriend was in fact Russian - he spent the next thirty minutes explaining their failings in detail and at great length while she sat there seething in silence. It was wonderful.