Suggest a Book for the dissensus book club!

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Sorry, I'm a bit slow on the PM uptake.

I'm quite up for it, although again I might fail to actually get around to getting and reading the book...

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK, so we've got Jenks, me, Tea, You with Slothrop and Eric as maybes - and Crackerjack has let us all down very badly I'm afraid.

jenks

thread death
Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates?

It's a rediscovered US classic. Mendes is making a film of it at present with Winslet and DiCaprio. It's about 350 pages long, not out of print...

or you could convince me that this Donaldson character is worthwhile

or the fisrt volume of that Moorcock quartet he's just finished

or a Barthelme collection

or a Gaddis?

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK, that (Revolutionary Road) sounds good to me.
That's three votes, anyone have a strong aversion to reading it?

you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutionary_Road

Cant say it grabs me but id be happy to read it, ... guess im indifferent to it, id LOVE to group read cancer ward though or a Davidson...... id vote for the latter two over RR.

Hey idlerich- are we going to vote on this? Or as there are not so many this time just come to an agreement?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Hey idlerich- are we going to vote on this? Or as there are not so many this time just come to an agreement?"
Well, it's not really up to me but in my opinion, with Christmas coming up, it would be as well to reach a quick decision and if we can do that by consensus rather than a laborious vote that would be good. To be honest I'm happy to read pretty much anything that people want to go for (unless it's by Pat Barker obviously).

jenks

thread death
Obviously I'd be happy with RR

Last time the Barker kind of just got decided on and very little debate got going whereas the Austerlitz thread fairly raced along.

I'm up for whatever this time, have RR on the shelves but could go find something else if needs be.

I'd let Idle decide, he sounds like he could wield a gavel whilst i can only contemplate my navel.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Is that assonance?
Well, as reluctant decision maker, I reckon that we just go for Revolutionary Road unless anyone has very strong objections, let's say by the end of the day.
After that we go for Cancer Ward - how's that?
I think it's best to just choose quickly, read it and if you don't like it hope that the next choice will be more up your street. I guess I'm looking at it as a chance to read things that I wouldn't necessarily read normally. I certainly had never even heard of Austerlitz or Regeneration when they were picked.

you

Yeah- id, like, uh, totally, like... order it, tomorrow, I, uh, guess. I can go for RR, im happy and ready to read it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Right then, the decision is made. Mr Tea, are you in this time?
Think I'd better buy it from a shop, if I rely on my post at this time of year I won't get it until you lot have all finished it.

jenks

thread death
Excellent.

for the record, I think Yates is a great writer and I think this could well be as fruitful as Austerlitz but in a very different way.

you

Yates arrived the other day, I quickly read the first few pages but then went to bed, seems pretty readable stuff, hopefully over christmas ill read it and be able to say something about it.

I on Bros K at the mo, good god it great, really enjoying it, im only 100 odd pages in but im already gripped, just as a story its great, but obviously it has all the typical late dostoevskian (sp?) themes. Its really gotten underneath my skin.

If anyone else has read or is reading it, it would be cool to start a thread for discussion, if not ill just lurk the dostoevsky forum.