Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggest a Book for the dissensus book club!

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    someone told me david mitchell's cloud atlas is a good read... think i might pick it up soon unless, of course, dissenssians disaprove
    http://www.dissensus.com/showthread....ht=cloud+atlas

i think he ended up being discussed in a couple of other threads too

nomadologist Guest

The Story of the Eye is a better place to start with Bataille than anywhere. The Accursed Share is also good if you like your economics as interpreted by a french literateur in the perv tradition of subversive proto-Queer theorists.

Quote Originally Posted by jenks View Post
    I hope this gets off the ground - i'm all for it and would be willing to read whatever was suggested. I think Bros K by Dost would take a good couple of weeks but i do like the idea of reading something i know would get discussed.

I'd like to suggest somebody like Conrad - i've read Heart of Darkness, The Secret Agent and something else but have always failed with Nostromo and Lord Jim and i see penguin has just brought out new editions recently with decent font size and proper intros. I'd also be interested in Henry James' Golden Bowl.
    i just wanted to put my two cents in that i second the idea of reading someone like Dostevsky, Conrad, Henry James, Gunter Grass... basically all people i have not read or read b/c i had to in school and don't have the willpower to bust thru the first 50 pages or whatever it takes to get hooked by myself...

i don't see the point of reading something like Bataille... again, i've read Story of the Eye, it's cute, but

a) i don't really have much to say about it
    b) it can be read in an afternoon

i'd rather have like a support group in slogging thru some 400 page classic, but that's just me and my lazyness...

nomadologist Guest

Henry James is a really good idea. The rest I have read like a million times. (I have read Golden Bowl but you can always read Henry James novels more than once. You sort of have to...)

I really wish there were some kind of group that would recommend something I haven't read that I will think of as "great" like Dosteovsky, Borges, etc.

Has everyone here read Heinrich Boell? I always loved Group Portrait with Lady

nomadologist Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski,.
    just started this last week, it's pretty good! it was one of those college assignments i never got to

Henry James is someone I've been meaning to give a good read (particularly after Greene's gushing praise). Just picked up a copy of "The Ambassadors" the other day that I'm itching to crack open...

Oh god, before this Henry James love-in goes too far can I cast a negative vote? The last two books I've read concerned themselves with the middle/upper classes round the turn of 19/20th century and I think I've had all the Victorian moral agonising I can take.

(On the subject of James, did anyone else find The Line Of Beauty completely uninvolving? And that was about a time, if not a place, i can relate to.)

Well, Henry James is out then

hey why don't we all read the secret just kidding

nomadologist Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    Oh god, before this Henry James love-in goes too far can I cast a negative vote? The last two books I've read concerned themselves with the middle/upper classes round the turn of 19/20th century and I think I've had all the Victorian moral agonising I can take.

(On the subject of James, did anyone else find The Line Of Beauty completely uninvolving? And that was about a time, if not a place, i can relate to.)
    but i know all kinds of people who do the Queer Politics reading of JAmes...oh wait that's what you mean

nomadologist Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    hey why don't we all read the secret just kidding
    that made me actually LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Octopus? View Post
    Well, Henry James is out then
    Oh, don't mind me, DBC (I've always wanted to join something with that acronym) can't please everyone all the time and I'll play by the rules. Anyway, if Graham greene likes him he can't be all bad.

this is a cool idea! what about

Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood
    Regeneration - Pat Barker
    The Ventriloquists' Tale - Pauline Melville
    The Radiance of the King -Camara Laye (with added controversy over authorship, worth discussing)

and not to be a jerk, but I love Moby Dick and would love to discuss it with people, I read it on my own (more than once!) and I think it's fricking amazing. So I'll put forward Moby Dick too.

SO, Bros Karamzov seems to have a smidgin of support, im superup for this one personally, but we must all get the same copy with any non-english language book. For Dostoevsky the Volokhonsky and Peavar translation on everymans library is good good good..

Steinbecks 'grapes of wrath' would be good too, but I get the feeling many have already read it, my girlfriend is allways telling me about it and im very curious.

An intriguing japanese author would be ryu murakami 'in the miso soup' looks like fun however at 192 pages and not exactly a classic I dont think this is the best suggestion! Someone asked for a japanese author though... Miike's "Audition" was based on one of his books, I think his stuff is kinda grotesque...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryu_Murakami

Conrad is a good suggestion, I never seem to read anyone English.

Id still be very happy to try Pynchon or House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski

I think ill say im in, everything suggested so far id be happy to at least try....

Please give more suggestions though! Im sure everyone must have an amazon wishlist!!!!

I might be interested in this if I can find the time etc.

I've had The Bros Karamzov sitting next to my bed for about 6 months now.

I'm also a Moby Dick, Pynchon and Henry James virgin so I'd be up for that too.

Maybe a short novel of some kind would be best to start off, get us warmed up etc: eg. I've been meaning to read more Vonnegut for ages, such as Slaughterhouse 5 or The Sirens of Titan..

Come to think of it I'd like to read more Greene too...

But I'm cool to go with something completely different.
    Last edited by D84; 16-08-2007 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Come to think of it...