Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggest a Book for the dissensus book club!

OK, so looks as though we've got definites of: You, Me, Tea, Jenks, Crackerjack, Octopus, Ripley, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub. D84 is a possible. Plus Nomad, Zhao and PeterGunn have contributed to the thread without saying whether or not they are in.
    That's definitely enough to do it anyway. Can we get a "sticky" and leave it up for a few days for people to sign up? How do we do that? Then after a few days we'll know who is in and we can all vote on the book.

for the record, i am in

Quote Originally Posted by nomadologist View Post
    Has everyone here read Heinrich Boell? I always loved Group Portrait with Lady
    I've been enjoying this guy's stuff recently... starting from the obvious counter-terrorism send up, "...K. Blum...".
    Obvious fun reading RoteArmieFaktion era BundesRepublicDuetschland material through '7/7/9/11' era UnitedKingdom.

I'm gonna try and read along. But don't wish to influence the choosing, since i'm more of a silent listener on here anyway. But if i was going to push it would be towards something more modern than Messrs F. Dost. and H. James.
    Something from the first half of the twentieth C. rather than the last half of the 19th? I was supprised by how much i enjoyed St.-Exupery's "flight to Arras" last week for its modernistic version of a boys-own tale (only skip the penultimate chapter). Perhaps people might be amused by Mayakovsky's american travelogue? or if someone could point me to the novelist equivalent of Lorca?

My worry is that i might get tied into reading something a bit too hetero and muscular/solid, something too (rock) classic. So i'm maintaining a get out clause.

How about something from the nouveau roman? Marguerite Duras? or Alain Robbe-Grillet?

Thing is right, if it goes well we can do it again (and again ad gloriam) so I reckon it doesn't matter too much if the first one we pick isn't exactly your first choice. By the nature of what we're doing it's going to be a compromise but if we do it and it goes ok we can fine-tune it for the next one and so on. I reckon it's not that much of a disaster if you agree to read something and you don't enjoy it - at least that means there will be people with varied opinions on it.

Quote Originally Posted by h-crimm View Post
    I'm gonna try and read along. But don't wish to influence the choosing, since i'm more of a silent listener on here anyway. But if i was going to push it would be towards something more modern than Messrs F. Dost. and H. James.
    Something from the first half of the twentieth C. rather than the last half of the 19th?

My worry is that i might get tied into reading something a bit too hetero and muscular/solid, something too (rock) classic. So i'm maintaining a get out clause.

How about something from the nouveau roman? Marguerite Duras? or Alain Robbe-Grillet?
    Proust? Thomas Mann? Musil? Berlin Alexanderplatz? Hermann Broch?

In the end any decision will have to be a compromise and if this thing is to have legs then we'll need a longlist which we can turn to otherwise each choice will take weeks of agonising.

Sebald, Richard Yates, Pamuk, Oe would all be good contemporaries to look at.

I don't think we'll find something we'll all agree on but i think we can maybe cohere around a list which we can work our way through over the coming months - what we don't need is people bragging over what they have read/know but a commitment to reading and discussing something with others in a clear timeframe.

I don't really have enough time to commit to reading a whole book (gasp!) at the moment, but if you choose one I happen to have read, am I allowed to stick my oar in when you're discussing it?

I'd definitely be up for future ones too...

count me in too, please

I do actually agree it's a strength of the book club idea to sometimes get forced into reading something that you wouldn't naturally have gone for. My reservations probably really stem from an inferiority complex w.r.t. to people who have an academic/professional background in reading and writing.

Perhaps to avoid the endless discussion one person could choose the book. It could even be something they've already read, so they know it's in some way good. Then at the end of the month the people who feel theyve made a reasonable contribution to the discussion vote in the new chair from amongst themselves and she chooses a new book. Might also avoid getting stuck with a monotone dissensus consensus.

I was just trying to express my recent enjoyment of mid twentieth century stuff. And my interest in reading more and talking about it with people, something that i don't have much opportunity to do. Rather than show off...

I'm quite keen to read some Rushdie. Seems kind of topical at the moment, too.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Perhaps to avoid the endless discussion one person could choose the book. It could even be something they've already read, so they know it's in some way good. Then at the end of the month the people who feel theyve made a reasonable contribution to the discussion vote in the new chair from amongst themselves and she chooses a new book. Might also avoid getting stuck with a monotone dissensus consensus.
    Sounds like a good idea. I'd suggest either 'You' for starting the thread or Rich for seeming willing to take the reins.

Well.....personally I reckon it would be better to vote although it might be difficult to suggest a system. Simplest way to my mind would be for everyone who wants to to suggest one and then everyone involved votes. I'm happy to organise the voting if need be.

To recap.

In so far: You, Mr Tea, Crackerjack, Jenks, Octopus, Petergunn, Ripley, Mixed_Biscuits

Expressed interest : Zhao, Nomadologist, D84, H-Crimm, STN

Most of the authors suggested: Bataille, Pynchon, Dostoevsky, Chekov, Nabokov, Conrad, James, Heinrich Boll, Atwood, Pat Barker, Pauline Melville, Camara Laye, Steinbeck, Vonnegut, Mayakovsky, Marguerite Duras, Alain Robbe-Grillet, Proust, Thomas Mann, Sebald, Yates, Pamuk, Rushdie

Authors totally rejected: Joyce
    Last edited by IdleRich; 16-08-2007 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Can we get a "sticky" and leave it up for a few days for people to sign up? How do we do that? Then after a few days we'll know who is in and we can all vote on the book.
    Sorry, just seen this. For future reference, drop a moderator a PM.

Great idea!

(But not really my thing).

Yeah, was going to but it was quite tentative at that point. I reckon we could do with one now though so do I need to formalise it by pm-ing you or can you just do it?
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    To recap.

In so far: You, Mr Tea, Crackerjack, Jenks, Octopus, Petergunn, Ripley, Mixed_Biscuits

Expressed interest : Zhao, Nomadologist, D84, H-Crimm, STN
    I'd like to give it a go. Although time is a little scarce at the moment, so I can't promise.
    Most of the authors suggested: Bataille, Pynchon, Dostoevsky, Chekov, Nabokov, Conrad, James, Heinrich Boll, Atwood, Pat Barker, Pauline Melville, Camara Laye, Steinbeck, Vonnegut, Mayakovsky, Marguerite Duras, Alain Robbe-Grillet, Proust, Thomas Mann, Sebald, Yates, Pamuk, Rushdie

Authors totally rejected: Joyce
    That all looks interesting. I'd love to read Gravity's Rainbow again with a support group and see if I can actually understand more than 10% of it. Mann, Rushdie or any of the Russians would also be great.

Frankenstein might throw up some interesting discussion?

One thing that might be fun would be to do something totally counter to the Dissensus stereotype - some Austen or Dumas or Wordsworth's Prelude or something.

Quote Originally Posted by h-crimm View Post
    I was just trying to express my recent enjoyment of mid twentieth century stuff. And my interest in reading more and talking about it with people, something that i don't have much opportunity to do. Rather than show off...
    It wasn't a pop at you, or anyone else that has contributed to this thread. I suppose i am wary, also, of the academic 'been there read that' tendency which can occur. I put the names forward cos i thought they would all fit your early 20th C Euro, non hetero suggestions.

I would be more than happy to read any of them - frankly i'll read whatever anyone chooses - after all this has been the liveliest thread on Lit for years round these parts

I certainly don't want to start a row before we have even started to read a book!!