Suggest a Book for the dissensus book club!

droid

Added above to the post above.

Pavane is excellent, though more due to its beautiful prose than its counterfactual vision. Proper literary science fiction.

jenks

thread death
I might jump onboard - with a mixture of optimism and trepidation as I've been here before. I'd like to read something I wouldn't usually read, possibly something n translation however I'm not going to be reading Negrestani or whatever it was that did for me the last time.
Anyway, I'm currently reading Teju Cole which i am really enjoying having just finished Second Hand Time which was totally compelling/horrific.
I do agree with Luka to the extent that the best discussions we have had on books has been the ones where there has been a range of opinions/views - i think we want to avoid a kind of hipster closure where we all pat each other on the back for being sooooo insightful and clever.

Wanda

I'm reminded of the South Park episode where Cartman gets it into his head that he's 'too mature' to hang around with his friends any more, so he starts dancing around and pointing at them while chanting "I'm more mature than yoouu guuuys! I'm more mature than yoouu guuuys!".

And I'm reminded of the Cupid Me epi. Tee hee. Come here you fudgy charm of sunshine. Tee hee hee. No, fuck yew.

PS. I'm still interested in book club.

PPS. This is the most British forum ever.

you

So, are we awaiting for more entries, or are we going to vote on these?

I'd be happy to vote. How many more people are going to join? Realistically?

Although, and I mean this earnestly, I'd like to see Luka put some poetry in there.

Whatever we vote for I think Luka's and Jenks' points about not just having a comfortable consensus with an easy book are important. So, perhaps Luka could start the odd thread about a poetry book, or we run another poetry reading group. Forum communication has its limits, but it'd be nice to leach some poetry knowledge.

luka

I'm happy to do that and put up with the concomitant abuse from my old mate droid. I'm not going to read sci-fi or horror with you though sorry I'm a snob can't do it.

craner

Beast of Burden
Why don't we all read The Western Canon together? I mean you'll have to catch up with me, because I've already smashed the Greeks.

luka

I've just got a new book second hand from judd books, Russell Square way. Vladimir Holan penguin modern poets. The former owner, clearly an elderly communist, now dead, has left handwritten notes, typed pages of other Holan poems and a postcard from czechoslovakia, looks like it's '70s or early '80s. Feel privileged to have inherited this book and the ephemera that came with it. I think you, you might get something out of it?

This world that doesn't exist any more. Even the fact that penguin would publish a modern European poets series. And these old internationalist communists, outward looking, curious, high-minded, deeply serious and engaged.

luka

There was ponge, seferis, ungaretti, adonis, pavese, montale, herbert, ritsos. Clearly all from a single collection. You don't see this stuff very often.

craner

Beast of Burden
I went on a date the other week and the woman in question asked me what I was reading. I felt a bit embarrassed and ridiculous being honest , but was anyway: "Well, I'm reading the Western Canon at the moment." "Oh," she replied. "I haven't read that. Who's it by?"

I was too confounded to give a sensible answer.

Next time I'll reply, "Fifty Shades of Grey. Wanna shag?"

#lifelessons

you

CJ Stone took forever to arrive. Initial impression is mixed. On the one hand he seems deft at unfolding a series of events with a vaguely earnest, unforced significance. The interpretation about Jesus feeding the five thousand is nice... but similarly 'philosophical' asides feel a touch too musing...Like a Giles Coren restaurant review.

Still, as someone who never experienced the rave scene(s) first hand it feels valuable... not least his references to pubs. Who has a local where they drink everyday these days? Surely this pleasure has been robbed from unemployed life and the sinister suburbs.

jenks

thread death
Who has a local where they drink everyday these days? Surely this pleasure has been robbed from unemployed life and the sinister suburbs.

Quite clearly you are not a middle aged man with teenage children.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm quite enjoying Fierce Dancing, but I'm not making great headway because I'm also reading a couple of other books, both of which are kind of massive. I'm happy to put more effort into CSJ if others want to discuss it in depth.

Wanda

My copy arrived today! Will start reading this weekend. Just finished Zoe Whittall's 'The Best Kind of People' btw. It's a very different book, all about how a family deals with the accusation that the father is a child rapist. It's slow and a bit redundant in places but I would still recommend it.

luka

me and corspy are doing paradise lost. we will start this evening and finsih by the sunday next week but hopefully sooner. you can join us.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
If I'm not ill anymore by Monday I will definitely start reading it but I doubt I'll get it done in a week