Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Grime Top Tens

top ten crews anyone?

its a hard decision, will deliberate and post later

When it comes to crews there isn't much arguing because as long as you pick all the top crews you basically have every good MC in the game. I could probably do it in 10.

1. Original NASTY
    2. Roll Deep
    3. Ruff Sqwad
    4. Boy Better Know
    5. Meridian
    6. Essentials
    7. Slew Dem
    8. Aftershock
    9. Newham Generals
    10. Neckle Camp/ The Movement (both equal parts good and bad)

If I could somehow think of a list that would include Rey Mysterio Guyver, i'd write it.
    Top 10 MCs who used to fuck things up but basically don't exist at all anymore now? That's a bit too long.

how has sharkie major not got one single mention yet? you know if you were listening to griume early on you loved shark major.
    Sharkey Major, fuck. Used to fuckin kill NASTY sets back when I was first getting into things; think I'm going to have to root around my sets now.

Quote Originally Posted by slackk View Post
    If I could somehow think of a list that would include Rey Mysterio Guyver, i'd write it.
    Top 10 MCs who used to fuck things up but basically don't exist at all anymore now? That's a bit too long.

Sharkey Major, fuck. Used to fuckin kill NASTY sets back when I was first getting into things; think I'm going to have to root around my sets now.
    Hyper also murdered those sets down too. Shame he doesn't do anything anymore, a couple years back he had that track "Yeah!" I think it was called. Rossi B and Luca were caning it in 2006. I thought that track was a lot, but it never got released and not many other DJs were playing it.

Dan just reminded me of Terminator in that other thread.

I WILL BREAK IN TO YOUR HOME/WHILE YOU'RE EATING TOBLERONE...

[edit: oo-er, just realised this looks like i like terminator. i was talking about him in relation to bad grime mcs...]
    Last edited by tom pr; 24-08-2007 at 01:17 PM.
    in the eyes of the lord i drive a spaceship.

Wiley. Obviously

Dizzee. 02-03 best grime MC ever as someone said.

Trim. For the beatiful spoken word grime of 'Confidence Preview' on soulfood 2 and the absoluteley outrageous masterpiece of murkage that is 'The Lowdown'!

Scratchy D (Bare humour in his bars, could have been one of the biggest in the game with more work/tunes. The 'Dont beat around the George Bush, Ill put holes in your George Best' lines demonstrate that.)

Devilman (Totally underrated and best non London MC for me by miles. Skepta might have merked him in that clash but Skepta hasn.t put out two excellent mixtrapes has he...The 'minsumwinsum' thing is up there with DEEs 'mwee mwee'.)

Chronik (Sounds threatening without trying unlike Ghettos monotonous whiney shank shank talk)

DEE (Top 3 at his best) And the tune about his baby daughter is amazing.

Earz (Happy Days, Cos were Neckle etc. Actaully has a really nice timbre and sound in his voice too.)

Tinchy (Can sound a bit bland at first but has these little moments of genius. One tune where he is saying about going to meet his mates and there is some trouble but he's 'lean as fuck, calm in my own world'. 'See how the cycle goes, bust shots on bycles' from his verse on the Jampie vocal on GNR1 which is his best ever verse imo)

Hmmmm, number 10. So many!! I'll go for Doogz as the best of the super lyrical MCs (more enjoyable than Kano or Ghetto imo) and for 'Gimme Dat' 'Black Man freestyle' etc. Ghetto is too slick and nimble for me, can't take more than a verse or two at a time

NEXT 5-

Skepta. Didn't used to have enough bars and was boring but he sounds sooo assured now. Fuckin Widda Team is classic.

Riko for keeping the rave MC thing going in Grime from Jungle and sounding pretty cool when talking about 'bushmasters, bazookas and heatseekers'.

Sharky Major for 'This aint a game'and the 'I wan't a buff girl with brains as well as looks, smart thing that likes to read books' lines. Plus has a real nice distinctive voice.

Slix. Cos he has a cool voice.

Or even nasty Jack for his wicked A-Z bars where he did (That was him right...?)

LAST 5

JME
    Scorcher
    Kano
    Flowdan (Yo, I am the big mic man, otherwise known as Mr Sandman (he does say that righ?!) bars are huge)
    Roachee (Just for the 'Standardly bore man straight in his knee lines')

And I REALLY like Terminator just for being blocky and angular and basically quite rubbish but actually hilarious and brilliant. Then there's Esco, Devlin and Stormin....wow too many MCs!
    Last edited by viktorvaughn; 21-08-2007 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Boy View Post
    Hyper also murdered those sets down too. Shame he doesn't do anything anymore, a couple years back he had that track "Yeah!" I think it was called. Rossi B and Luca were caning it in 2006. I thought that track was a lot, but it never got released and not many other DJs were playing it.
    I always liked how Hyper has (had?) a slight American Garagey twang to his voice, like he was keeping the link between Grime and Garage alive a bit but without sounding like a tosser like B-Live did.

Quote Originally Posted by viktorvaughn View Post
    DEE (Top 3 at his best) And the tune about his baby daughter is amazing.
    definately agreee, i think hes waned a bit recently though

his tune Colours is one of my favourite songs

top 10 grime bangers

1lethal b - forward 2 (the lethal b, bruza, flirta d, ghetto, jme, kano one)
    2roachee - all day long
    3ribz nappa flirta, shizzle - pull up dat dexplicit remix
    4ruff sqwad - xtra
    5fresh - straight up realion
    6jammer - destruction vip
    7griminal - its alot
    8slk - hype hype
    9flirta d - warp speed
    10lethal b - forward 1

Quote Originally Posted by rockypoppy2 View Post
    definately agreee, i think hes waned a bit recently though

his tune Colours is one of my favourite songs
    "that's very original/I've never heard that from another individual" ... just his enunciation is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by msoes View Post
    top 10 grime bangers
    01 Dizzee - I Luv U
    02 Ruff Sqwad - Anna
    03 Wiley - Ice Rink

Then other stuff. Forward 2 is a good call; I like it more than Pow...

If we're talking tracks no one has mentioned

Roll Deep - Poltergeist Relay (or When I'm Ere for that matter)
    D Double E's vocal of Frontline (he doesn't get any better than that)
    Nasty Crew - Take U Out
    and Ruff Sqwad - Tings in Boots

All in my top ten.

Also: as much as I understand the significance of Pow!, and as great as the FWD riddim itself is - the track is almost a showcase of the swaggest MCs in the game spare a few.

Lethal B, Fumin, Nappa, Jamakabi, Demon, Neeko, Ozzie B, Forcer - all crap (though I do have sort of a soft spot for Demon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Boy View Post
    D Double E's vocal of Frontline (he doesn't get any better than that)
    track 3 on statiks connected,
    and murking that drumbass creepy crawler on shock to da system

talking of creepy crawler, some of the vocalled versions of that would rank high, thinking of the wiley/breeze/tommy guns one on creeper 1 (what the hell has happened to tommy guns?)

and morgue/what wiley vocal(s)

i got the brand new nike shoe out
    oi wheres wiley gone he just flew out

and the fantastic Move 2 Dis by ruff sqwad

and the fantastic Move 2 Dis by ruff sqwad
    This song got ruined for me after I watched an hour of it playing non-stop on the Risky Roadz 2 DVD as every MC who has ever ate toast spit over top of it in succession.

I like it again now though - Roachee's freestyle on that same DVD over it is classic.

WHATS GOIN ON WITH YOUR HAIR MAN

and morgue/what wiley vocal(s)
    i got the brand new nike shoe out
    oi wheres wiley gone he just flew out
    Wait, is that the one on Creeper 2, where Wiley ends it on the '4 in the morning' bars, or is that Graveyard? Because I always get them confused...

When I'm Ere Wiley Remix is incredible. I was spinning that upstairs a minute ago, every MC just kills it.