Grime Top Tens

viktorvaughn

Wiley. Obviously

Dizzee. 02-03 best grime MC ever as someone said.

Trim. For the beatiful spoken word grime of 'Confidence Preview' on soulfood 2 and the absoluteley outrageous masterpiece of murkage that is 'The Lowdown'!

Scratchy D (Bare humour in his bars, could have been one of the biggest in the game with more work/tunes. The 'Dont beat around the George Bush, Ill put holes in your George Best' lines demonstrate that.)

Devilman (Totally underrated and best non London MC for me by miles. Skepta might have merked him in that clash but Skepta hasn.t put out two excellent mixtrapes has he...The 'minsumwinsum' thing is up there with DEEs 'mwee mwee'.)

Chronik (Sounds threatening without trying unlike Ghettos monotonous whiney shank shank talk)

DEE (Top 3 at his best) And the tune about his baby daughter is amazing.

Earz (Happy Days, Cos were Neckle etc. Actaully has a really nice timbre and sound in his voice too.)

Tinchy (Can sound a bit bland at first but has these little moments of genius. One tune where he is saying about going to meet his mates and there is some trouble but he's 'lean as fuck, calm in my own world'. 'See how the cycle goes, bust shots on bycles' from his verse on the Jampie vocal on GNR1 which is his best ever verse imo)

Hmmmm, number 10. So many!! I'll go for Doogz as the best of the super lyrical MCs (more enjoyable than Kano or Ghetto imo) and for 'Gimme Dat' 'Black Man freestyle' etc. Ghetto is too slick and nimble for me, can't take more than a verse or two at a time

NEXT 5-

Skepta. Didn't used to have enough bars and was boring but he sounds sooo assured now. Fuckin Widda Team is classic.

Riko for keeping the rave MC thing going in Grime from Jungle and sounding pretty cool when talking about 'bushmasters, bazookas and heatseekers'.

Sharky Major for 'This aint a game'and the 'I wan't a buff girl with brains as well as looks, smart thing that likes to read books' lines. Plus has a real nice distinctive voice.

Slix. Cos he has a cool voice.

Or even nasty Jack for his wicked A-Z bars where he did (That was him right...?)

LAST 5

JME
Scorcher
Kano
Flowdan (Yo, I am the big mic man, otherwise known as Mr Sandman (he does say that righ?!) bars are huge)
Roachee (Just for the 'Standardly bore man straight in his knee lines')

And I REALLY like Terminator just for being blocky and angular and basically quite rubbish but actually hilarious and brilliant. Then there's Esco, Devlin and Stormin....wow too many MCs!

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

Hyper also murdered those sets down too. Shame he doesn't do anything anymore, a couple years back he had that track "Yeah!" I think it was called. Rossi B and Luca were caning it in 2006. I thought that track was a lot, but it never got released and not many other DJs were playing it.

I always liked how Hyper has (had?) a slight American Garagey twang to his voice, like he was keeping the link between Grime and Garage alive a bit but without sounding like a tosser like B-Live did.

msoes

top 10 grime bangers

1lethal b - forward 2 (the lethal b, bruza, flirta d, ghetto, jme, kano one)
2roachee - all day long
3ribz nappa flirta, shizzle - pull up dat dexplicit remix
4ruff sqwad - xtra
5fresh - straight up realion
6jammer - destruction vip
7griminal - its alot
8slk - hype hype
9flirta d - warp speed
10lethal b - forward 1

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
If we're talking tracks no one has mentioned

Roll Deep - Poltergeist Relay (or When I'm Ere for that matter)
D Double E's vocal of Frontline (he doesn't get any better than that)
Nasty Crew - Take U Out
and Ruff Sqwad - Tings in Boots

All in my top ten.

Also: as much as I understand the significance of Pow!, and as great as the FWD riddim itself is - the track is almost a showcase of the swaggest MCs in the game spare a few.

Lethal B, Fumin, Nappa, Jamakabi, Demon, Neeko, Ozzie B, Forcer - all crap (though I do have sort of a soft spot for Demon)

D Double E's vocal of Frontline (he doesn't get any better than that)

track 3 on statiks connected,
and murking that drumbass creepy crawler on shock to da system

talking of creepy crawler, some of the vocalled versions of that would rank high, thinking of the wiley/breeze/tommy guns one on creeper 1 (what the hell has happened to tommy guns?)

and morgue/what wiley vocal(s)

i got the brand new nike shoe out
oi wheres wiley gone he just flew out

and the fantastic Move 2 Dis by ruff sqwad

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
and the fantastic Move 2 Dis by ruff sqwad

This song got ruined for me after I watched an hour of it playing non-stop on the Risky Roadz 2 DVD as every MC who has ever ate toast spit over top of it in succession.

I like it again now though - Roachee's freestyle on that same DVD over it is classic.

WHATS GOIN ON WITH YOUR HAIR MAN

tom pr

and morgue/what wiley vocal(s)
i got the brand new nike shoe out
oi wheres wiley gone he just flew out
Wait, is that the one on Creeper 2, where Wiley ends it on the '4 in the morning' bars, or is that Graveyard? Because I always get them confused...

When I'm Ere Wiley Remix is incredible. I was spinning that upstairs a minute ago, every MC just kills it.

msoes

Lethal B, Fumin, Nappa, Jamakabi, Demon, Neeko, Ozzie B, Forcer - all crap (though I do have sort of a soft spot for Demon)

even the shittest mc can come up with a good 16 though. and jamakabi is pretty good. neeko absolutely ruins pow though. why you would spit the slowest, most boring lyrics on the hypest track is beyond me.

msoes

someone do a top 10 introspective grime songs

all i know is that it needs to have

sharkey major - this aint a game
wiley and dizzee (is this credited as roll deep? i dunno) - take time
dizzee - brand new day

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
someone do a top 10 introspective grime songs

all i know is that it needs to have

sharkey major - this aint a game
wiley and dizzee (is this credited as roll deep? i dunno) - take time
dizzee - brand new day

wiley : doorway is a great one of them

viktorvaughn

I listened to all the old NASTY sets on my ipod on holiday and i must say - Nasty Jack was ALOT when he was on form. Much better than DEE (this was like 02/03) and miles better than Hyper and Armour too. Loads of little meandering off-key flows and little slogans and putting on voices and ranting a little but killing it also when he MCed properly - sounds like a modern Wiley! Stormin and Sharky are both amazing too. I have always been such a massive Roll Deep fan but can see why people have bigged up NASTY in the past so much.

I have a great set with DJ Clue (must be other NASTY DJ longside Mak10?) i will up. Armour sounds sooo America and keeps shouting 'for sheezy' and 'capiche'. Jokes.

Anymore old NASTY sets would be muh appreciated.