Grime Top Tens

yeah!! first tune i shocked up to was danny weed's dirty den! that was beating out the system, sounded sweet, that was about all the grime i heard - elliot ness was on but i didnt see him. stormin was over more garagey bits from what i heard. still plenty of rudeboys down the front tho. nice vibes - went again today and the jeneration system was rammed, the whole street down, 15000people on that st the mc said

hypest bars:

i think id have (no order) ;

down down down down (or town town town town - whatever he says)
know we - dem no know we!!! - actually anything from gods gift is hype, irrespective
are you muad!!?!? im a big sound man like my dad! (or) its not D.A.T, hit im on the head with a B.A.T...etc...
spit the lyric bang oooooon! etc... i been a dangor? dan ever since a young man etc... ooooooh oooooooh/ mwuii mwuiii
start that stop that get that....
god forgive me if i buss my nine!
please dont get me started, started/swiiiing
eeeeasssssyy maaaaaan....its fuda mannn
they call me trim when im ere (most of the other when im ere bars)
u dun know!
E3 tiger! LON tiger! - its wiley and im getting them hyper!!!!! etc..
what me love me no love fuckery

theres a "hypest reloads during eski dance" video on youtube somewhere - thats quite good
and i got an mp3 called Eski Dance 1 where almost every mc spits their hypest bar and it gets pure wheels except Sniper E who spits like 16 and gets aaaair

found this the other day

East Co - Wah
http://www.sendspace.com/file/kc6jea

viktorvaughn

Beats--

Top 5

Ice rink - Wiley
Lethal Injection - Ruff Sqwad
Grime - Slew Dem
Cash Dubs - Jon E Cash
Echoman - Musical Mob

Next 5 or so (though to be honest there are plenty that could fit in here)

Detroit - Geeneus
Bump Dis - Oddz
IceCream or Eskimo 2 (The one with 'The Claw is my master...' bit in it) or Freeze devil mix #2 - Wiley
Death 2 Dem - Lewi White
The best one by Mex ('DPM Recordings....')
Jampie
All Day Long beat - Rapid
The beat for 'If i could go back' on Aim High 1 Ft. Biggie Pitbull - Target i guess?
Dilemma - So Solid
The simple one for 'Big Mic Man' Ft Flowdan. Don't know who built this?

There's so many!

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
great thread.

big up all the listmaker mandem.

top intstros....

spooky - joyride
wiley - eskimo
jon e cash - kettle
ruff sqwad - anna/down
ruff sqwad - pied piper (skepta remix)
wiley - nightbus dubplate
dizzee - hoe
spooky - joyride
spooky - joyride
spooky - joyride

spooky - joyride
spooky - joyride
spooky - joyride

haha, great tune - i remember when i first heard that it was when jammer used to have a show on rinse - he must've just played that tune for about 20 mins straight.

i got an instrumental ruff sqwad mp3, goes by the name of Forwardish, really really nice, only synths - feels quite orchestral, but never seen that released or ever heard it anywhere

mos dan

fact music
i got an instrumental ruff sqwad mp3, goes by the name of Forwardish, really really nice, only synths - feels quite orchestral, but never seen that released or ever heard it anywhere

which you are not uploading because...?

hehe ;) seriously it would be appreciated if you have a minute

viktorvaughn

If anyone is on Soulseek ad guy called art_of_war has all these old beats. (Is this bad practice giving out his name?!) I got about 10 Alias beats alone of him.

gumdrops

i dont think i could come up with a top ten crews list - most of the crews have one great/standout member and about 5 other crap ones. like, whos good in slew dem except kronik? or in neckle camp, does anyone care about anyone else in the lineup except jammer? roll deep are the exception of course... i never really got the whole fuss about how good nasty were...

my personal faves -
newham gens
more fire crew
roll deep (well, a selection of them, not everyone, as thats just too many)
heartless
so solid

im sure theres some others ive missed out... i like trims crew - they seem very focused, hard-edged, and consistent (on soul food vol 1 at least, not heard vol 2 yet).

viktorvaughn

Yeah i agree, the crews question doesn't really make sense. 10 is a big enough number to include anyone whose ever been any good really. Even three covers all the essential bases for me (Roll Deep, NASTY and Ruff Squad).

Esco in Slew Dem is quite good in a standard strap/shank way i rekon? And Pitt has the bar 'What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine' which makes me laugh. And waifer on the buttons.

And re: Slew Dem Earz is a badboy MC! The tune he did called Player produced by Bigga Man I think on the NASTY mix Jammer did for Deuce Mag is so accomplished and he was only 15 at the time. Don't know if it ever saw vinyl. [What's the Airum scareum thing about btw?]

What about LYRICKS!

I sleep in hooded jim-jams/It's Trim-van.

I'm a big bad dub and you're a minidisc/that's broken down and finished with.

Rep yourself/your ends come later.

I don't think I'm big, but my face is in the Guardian/Mum's happy and Nan, thanks for the cardigan.

That's just Trim!! I could literally sit here all afternoon and think about my favourite bars.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Grime lyrics are so underrated. The way they take the very grim social conditions they live in (from their living arrangements, to community violence, to racial discrimination) and treat them with equal doses of respect and self-depricating facetiousness verges on brilliance, and is what makes the music so distinctly British. You rarely hear American rappers treating their subject matter the same way.

Skepta is a true master of this kind of lyricism:

"i know man round my post code/ who will sniff two lines and go into devilish mode
shoot you in the face then skid around the corner/ like yoshi and toad. "

"roll with the nine month old baby so I can bring out the mash in the winnie the pooh scarf"

"bad boy from nigeria not st. lucia/ joseph junior adenuga/ big lips, african hooter"

Brilliant.

2nd prize to Wiley's incredible use of non-sequiters delivered in the most serious of manners ("if i see a spider, i won't kill it"). I chock this up to Wiley being absolutely off his rocker though.

msoes

should do a top ten trim lines

my favourite is 'theres a new bad boy in town, and im another one'.

"whos good in slew dem except kronik?"

tempa t and esco.

or in neckle camp, does anyone care about anyone else in the lineup except jammer?

ears, even though hes not in it anymore. has the best sounding voice in grime. earem scarem is just another name.

viktorvaughn

Skepta - I don't care what you tell me/The T-shirt business is healthy/Soon man is going to be wealthy.

Trim - I was badboy Trim till i turned 21, now i'm badman Trim/Better get yourself a gun.

Wiley - Fluent in English and I'm good with numbers/I've been counting paper for the last seven summers.

Can't test me or Skepta/I'll come like Achilles and take out Hector.

POW

Last edited:

msoes

2nd prize to Wiley's incredible use of non-sequiters delivered in the most serious of manners ("if i see a spider, i won't kill it"). I chock this up to Wiley being absolutely off his rocker though.

yess.

my favourite is this old radio bar where he goes 'wont see me in your estate for ages then ill come around stay for a little while and then im gone'.

i think theres a distinction between good lyrics and just hype lyrics that make you wanna wheel

more hype lyrics;

ey yo this is the big flowdan

something jme was saying about gutless and cutlass, brilliant,
blood, i'll make you gutless, come round your ends, send for the cutlass

slew dem are just some big simmering force of anger and when they're in full attendance (radio) i cant really tell esco from pitt from chronik from g-man or whoever, but it sounds amazing. esco isnt shit, nor is tempa t - and pitt did a sick 4 minute long chorus-less freestyle over gun-man riddim by waifer which is essential listening. but chronik is the one, anyone know whats happened with him since he's got out of can?

for the introspective liste - tinchy stryder - its real

and gumdrops you're slipping if you havent heard soulfood 2 yet

for the trim's bars list that dot cotton one has Got To Be There

i'm a roll deep wrong'un
not from bow common
problem child
child with a problem
eastender, but not Dot Cotton
nike, top, bottoms

and also

i wear nike from the foot up
mash no push ups
might catch me at a west indian cook-up

msoes

gods gifts' im a gaaaaaaangster for life... is so hype i dont think ive ever heard the actual whole thing because it gets reloaded every time.

top ten mc's voices then

all i know is

dizzee
dirty danger (best breathing noise in grime too)
d double e
ears
gods gift
riko
wiley
trim

would all feature

tom pr

This could have its own thread:

'There's no set time that I have my tea at'
'Must be that same old kid in the dinner hall/primary, eating apple crumble and custard'
'My hair needed waves and so I brushed it'

And best grime voice is Dirty Danger I think. Or Trim.