Grime Top Tens

Benny Bunter

I can understand how some would rate Dizzee Rascal above Wiley as being the greatest MC in grime (although I don't), but I think when it comes to the greatest grime artist on the whole, it is almost indisputably Wiley, and will likely be seen that way in years to come. He never made an album better than Boy In Da Corner, but on the other hand he has embodied the spirit of the genre consistently from the very beginning (before the beginning even), and set most of the levels for what it was to be a grime MC and producer. Wiley IS grime, he is grime incarnate, and that's why he sits, never to be moved, in my number 1 spot.

YES! Couldn't have put it better myself. Just listened to 'Crash bandicoot freestyle' 3 times in a row. That track alone is proof that Wiley is an untouchable MC when he's on form. Total authority on the mic, and he's the funniest by far too. Not really feeling 'Rolex' yet though.

1. Wiley
2. Dizzee Rascal
3. Trim
4. Durrty Goodz
5. Riko
6. Flowdan
7. JME
8. Skepta
9. Chipmunk
10. Griminal

petergunn

plywood violin
YES! Couldn't have put it better myself. Just listened to 'Crash bandicoot freestyle' 3 times in a row. That track alone is proof that Wiley is an untouchable MC when he's on form. Total authority on the mic, and he's the funniest by far too. Not really feeling 'Rolex' yet though.

1. Wiley
2. Dizzee Rascal
3. Trim
4. Durrty Goodz
5. Riko
6. Flowdan
7. JME
8. Skepta
9. Chipmunk
10. Griminal

is this an all time list?

benjybars

village elder.
I can understand how some would rate Dizzee Rascal above Wiley as being the greatest MC in grime (although I don't), but I think when it comes to the greatest grime artist on the whole, it is almost indisputably Wiley, and will likely be seen that way in years to come. He never made an album better than Boy In Da Corner, but on the other hand he has embodied the spirit of the genre consistently from the very beginning (before the beginning even), and set most of the levels for what it was to be a grime MC and producer. Wiley IS grime, he is grime incarnate, and that's why he sits, never to be moved, in my number 1 spot.

AGREED 10000% !!!

i've basically been meaning to say exactly this for ages cos it's been building up inside me!!

in fact.. for me...

wiley is the most important british musician of the last 25 years.

true stories! :)

Benny Bunter

is this an all time list?

Yeah I suppose so. I would rate the top 5 in that list as head and shoulders above the rest though.

And BIDC would still be the best record, after all this time. Pretty standard opinion I reckon from what I've read on this thread. Grime could really do with another mindblower like BIDC to give it a boost. I'm resting my hopes on Goodz this year. Anyone know when his album drops?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
If we were doing a top 10 of all-time, I certainly wouldn't place a single one of the youngers in it... not yet anyway. They are still cutting their teeth and have a lot more to prove.

I'm really excited for everyone pushing for albums now, especially all these guys willing to commit to making albums full of grime (especially now seeing Kano get dropped from his label for trying to do otherwise). I really enjoyed the albums from last year (Playtime Is Over, Star In The Hood, Greatest Hits). Pirate radio + raves -> mixtapes -> albums... progression!

Benny Bunter

If we were doing a top 10 of all-time, I certainly wouldn't place a single one of the youngers in it... not yet anyway. They are still cutting their teeth and have a lot more to prove.

Yeah, I was struggling a bit after the first 5 in that list to be honest! While I've been really impressed by some of Chipmunk and Double S' stuff, none of the youngers seem to have arrived as fully formed as Dizzee did.

Yeah, I was struggling a bit after the first 5 in that list to be honest! While I've been really impressed by some of Chipmunk and Double S' stuff, none of the youngers seem to have arrived as fully formed as Dizzee did.

well you've got people like d double, sharkey major, kano, jammer, ghetto, scratchy d, big h, god's gift, dogzilla (some of his tracks were good) nasty jack, chronik, k-dot, jendor, remerdee, durrty goodz, tinchy stryder, slix, fuda guy, lethal b, dirty dangerous, footsie, prez t, tempa t, ears, j2k, crazy titch who was fucking incredible and underrated.... etc.. etc... just go back to some of the classic dvd's. such fire.

i also would have no youngers there yet. also i wouldnt have flowdan - although that ey yo gets me everytime.

also, how similar do Double S and Chipmunk sound?? is it just me? i think double s is edging it at the mo, a bit more mature - less sweetboy

maybe someone should do a younger's list

i would have saskilla and seb zero in there no qualms.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
If I had to make one up it'd look something like this, I did this real quickly though:

1. Wiley
2. Skepta
3. Dizzee Rascal
4. D Double E
5. Trim
6. Tinchy Stryder
7. Durrty Goodz
8. Ghetto
9. Kano
10. Riko/Gods Gift

If this were a list of my favourite top 10 MCs it'd look a lot different. I considered shit like overall influence, contribution to the scene, flow, lyrics, reload bars, releases, crews affiliated with etc.

Contentiously I would put Kano BELOW Ghetto even though he was basically Ghetto's master and teacher. He has just got so, so shit though, and considering that Kano didn't release many good tracks even when he was good (if you compare to the amount of great tracks GH has done solo) then I really don't think he deserves to appear above Ghetto. He was a fucking DEADLY rave and radio MC though - one of the best there ever was. 4 years ago I would've put him at #4. I just feel like he has gone and pissed on his legacy in a way that even Dizzee can't contest. I really hope his dropping from 679 makes him come back to the scene - I think many people (myself included) would welcome him back with open arms. He's just too great to continue to make bad music.

The difficult part was Trim, Tinch and Doogz who are as far as I'm concerned interchangeable in those spots:
Tinchy: shining star in Ruff Sqwad from day, solid album, brilliant flow, bars for days, constant presence on the scene, never slacking, "let me see the gun fingers"
Goodz: insanely technical flow, clashed wiley and won, axiom ep, brilliant rave MC
Trim: lyrical genius, clashed everyone and won, soulfood
I have a feeling all three of these guys over the next couple of years will start bumping a lot of people above them down. Esp. D Double.

I feel like D Double E should be lower on this list, but I just can't fuck with how good he was in NASTY crew. And it's not like he's really gone and done anything bad, he just hasn't gone and done anything at all. Dizzee was the same, DID go and do some awful shit, but also put out BIDC so he wins.

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

AGREED 10000% !!!

i've basically been meaning to say exactly this for ages cos it's been building up inside me!!

in fact.. for me...

wiley is the most important british musician of the last 25 years.

true stories! :)

Wiley just has so many sides to him -

Creator of vintage eskibeats like IceRink, Eskimo.
The bringer of youngers like Dizzee and Tinchy and now Chipmunk and Icekid.
The man posting unhinged stuff on RWD about being Master Yoda etc.
Topboy in the top crew ever. Respected and powerful enough to cherry-pick other MCs (Riko, Trim, Skepta, JME, Syer) for the Roll Deep ranks.
The rave MC who rode garage and even dnb beats on pirates seven years ago.
The man people want to war with as a rite of passage.
MC who vocalled countless classics like Graveyard freestyle, Destruction VIP, Crash Bandicoot etc.
The guy who clashed with Lethal B and Fire Camp, The Movement, Durrty Goodz, Bashy, Ghetto etc.
And now he's an Electro-grime pioneer too! I kinda wish he had ripped up a dubstep rave or something, just to show he could do it.

He is King of Grime. He will never be dethroned.

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.

Creator of vintage eskibeats like IceRink, Eskimo.
The bringer of youngers like Dizzee and Tinchy and now Chipmunk and Icekid.
The man posting unhinged stuff on RWD about being Master Yoda etc.
Topboy in the top crew ever. Respected and powerful enough to cherry-pick other MCs (Riko, Trim, Skepta, JME, Syer) for the Roll Deep ranks.
The rave MC who rode garage and even dnb beats on pirates seven years ago.
The man people want to war with as a rite of passage.
MC who vocalled countless classics like Graveyard freestyle, Destruction VIP, Crash Bandicoot etc.
The guy who clashed with Lethal B and Fire Camp, The Movement, Durrty Goodz, Bashy, Ghetto etc.
And know he's an Electro-grime pioneer too! I kinda wish he had ripped up a dubstep rave or something, just to show he could do it.

He is King of Grime. He will never be dethroned.

yes!

also - check this vid. he's also comes across as one of the funniest, safest people around

(this video is 100% pure jokes)

Benny Bunter

Nice to see all the Wiley-love round here lately. Its gearing me up for his upcoming gig in Newcastle. I just hope he doesn't let us down like Trim did last week. And it'll be my first live grime experience!

Incidentally, is he any good live? Not seen any footage of him playing out in a club before.

luka

we should start up a little petition, get them to erect a statue of wiley, a massive one alongside bow flyover, so when you're driving over it you just see wileys massive bronze head staring at you. it can be dressed in a different tracksuit every week.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
we should start up a little petition, get them to erect a statue of wiley, a massive one alongside bow flyover, so when you're driving over it you just see wileys massive bronze head staring at you. it can be dressed in a different tracksuit every week.

Or a different dodgy-as-fuck button up collared shirt. :)

tom pr

I love wiley's camp mannerisms during the car crash bit- can you imagine anyone worse to rely on for evidence in an insurance claim?

662986156_f3ec488201.jpg

The statue has to rock this at some point.

benjybars

village elder.
I love wiley's camp mannerisms during the car crash bit- can you imagine anyone worse to rely on for evidence in an insurance claim?

662986156_f3ec488201.jpg

The statue has to rock this at some point.

wow. that outfit is saying ALOT! (in several different languages)

HELLO

I kinda wish he had ripped up a dubstep rave or something, just to show he could do it.

While its not a rave, I have a set he did with Darkside on Rinse in April 2006 I can up, is Darkside a dubstep DJ? I'm not really sure, I havent listened to it in ages.

Chronik from Slew Dem is on the set as well, all I can remember is thinking at the time that it wasnt grime beats, I'm not into dubstep at all so I dont know if they were dubstep beats.