Grime Top Tens

benjybars

village elder.
While its not a rave, I have a set he did with Darkside on Rinse in April 2006 I can up, is Darkside a dubstep DJ? I'm not really sure, I havent listened to it in ages.

Chronik from Slew Dem is on the set as well, all I can remember is thinking at the time that it wasnt grime beats, I'm not into dubstep at all so I dont know if they were dubstep beats.

that darkside and wiley set is SO sick (until chronik turns up...;))

that darkside and wiley set is SO sick (until chronik turns up...;))

lol. i love chronik actually, "way down the road," "blaze more dan u," that whole slew dem sidewinder disc.
might be getting at your ebay auctions i think, if the bids aren't ridiculous when i get paid next week.

benjybars

village elder.
lol. i love chronik actually, "way down the road," "blaze more dan u," that whole slew dem sidewinder disc.
might be getting at your ebay auctions i think, if the bids aren't ridiculous when i get paid next week.

yes bruv get involved!

Ach!

Turd on the Run
yes!

also - check this vid. he's also comes across as one of the funniest, safest people around

(this video is 100% pure jokes)

Are there any more videos like this? Forget watching clashes, I think we should see 'Grime Conversations Vol.1'. I want to see more videos where MCs who have been past rivals discuss the merits of their own contribrutions, and politely deliberate about who has the most power in the scene.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
wiley is the most important british musician of the last 25 years.

I've been thinking about what you've said, since you posted it. What I find really interesting about Wiley is that - cos I'm generally around people who aren't really into grime - is that people have gone recently 'you got ALOT of Wiley' - almost dissmissingly - and then, kinda about maybe six months into listening to the 'genre' - they come back and go 'wow, Wiley's REALLY good'. He takes a while to get into.

His work is harder, and more experimental, than most of the rest of the other producers around at the moment. Most important over the past 25 years? I'll come back to that but I totally know what you mean.

theres some amazing conversations from crazy titch's crazy times dvd

then theres those conversations on the meridian crew's cd i was talking about - although its not video.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
For real?

Originally Posted by benjybars

Even moreso than Tricky or Goldie? Seriously?

One.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos

One.

I think Wiley and grime itself needs a bit more time to really cement its importance to British music as a whole, but he has planted some seeds that with continual growth will become one of the most crowning achievements in British urban music in its history.

benjybars

village elder.

One.

DEFINITELY more important than Tricky....

Goldie pushes him closer for sure... but, yeah, i stand by my statement.

luka

goldie was one of many, wiley was more of a pioneer than goldie. tricky is nothing. aphex twin, beautiful records but he's not on the wiley level of cultural influence and importance. wiley is a giant among men. which is why he must have a giant statue.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
aphex twin, beautiful records but he's not on the wiley level of cultural influence and importance.
That's kind of a matter of (nuum-centric) perspective, though, innit. I'm not sure you can meaningfully compare the 'cultural influence and importance' of the two. Wiley's impact on grime is obviously massive, but it more or less stops at the M25, whereas you can kind of see bits Aphex's influence on pretty much anyone who uses electronics outside of dance music proper.
wiley is a giant among men. which is why he must have a giant statue.
Agreed there though.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos

Even moreso than Tricky? Seriously?

Can anyone really explain why Tricky could even be considered this at all?
I'm probably not clued up at all, or too young or something, but I've never heard anyone mention Tricky in this way before.

Last edited:

luka

its a crazy idea. but there was a lot of media hype around the time of his not very good first album. all that bristol stuff is pretty dire. tricky i spose is at least the best a of a bad bunch.