Grime Top Tens

I'm surprised by some of the names that ranked so highly on this list. Could Axiom EP be to Grime what Burial's debut is to Dubstep- aged badly? I know being imprisoned for a crime you didn't commit won't make you a better person but swapping his old yardie flow for a Yank one just doesn't make sense.

Also as much as I love his 'all of the soldiers inna the army, nuff respect to those who love Bob Marley' lyric, Marcus Garvey would've hated Doogz for being too light skinned. Everyone forgets the history behind this.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

I want to do a list, but being half a decade or younger than most of you (except maybe Corpsey and Trillhouse) kinda invalidates me, let alone being an American, fucks me up.

Not to mention when I do, you'll all know how stupid I am truly.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I'm surprised by some of the names that ranked so highly on this list. Could Axiom EP to Grime what Burial's debut is to Dubstep- aged badly? I know being imprisoned for a crime you didn't won't make you a better person but swapping his old yardie flow for a Yank one just doesn't make sense.

Also as much as I love his 'all of the soldiers inna the army, nuff respect to those who love Bob Marley' lyric, Marcus Garvey would've hated Doogz for being too light skinned. Everyone forgets the history behind this.

Seriously dude??

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I'm just astounded that you think that Axiom or Burial have aged badly. Each to their own I suppose. Also surprised you think Goodz had a 'Yank flow'

He does spit with an american accent now though. He didn't on Axiom but he tried to come back on a rap thing quite recently and sounded like a shit Styles P

Not flow, I should have said accent. Even on Axiom there's tracks where he sounds a bit American- can't remember which ones they were. I think he was London sounding on Switching Songs and the Coki track but the transatlantic twang whiffed a bit too much when he gets breathless.

Axiom & Burial LP were a case of musicians doing something a bit (maybe very) different for the style of the time, the media and the buying public picked up on this and hyped it up more than it was worth. It's like they wanted something so bad they convinced themselves they liked it more than they really did. I'm sure a dozen people said the same thing on the is Burial Dated Thread, and I suspect the Grimeforum lot would echo my thoughts on Axiom.

rubberdingyrapids

not heard it in a while but i cant imagine axiom dating that badly. burial's first lp hasnt really dated either for me, its more just that everything hes done since has been a kind of rehash of the first one. weird to see the two linked though - burial was massively lauded, sure, but axiom? it always seemed like a hardcore grime fan's dream album but not likely to do much for anyone outside the scene. sure, you had some stuff on factmag about it but i think it passed well under the wider radar.

rubberdingyrapids

my own personal, highly subjective top tens (cant be bothered to see if i already did one but im picking favourites as opposed to who i think was the 'best') -

dizzee
doogz (early doogz though, pre-axiom)
wiley (pre-2004 wiley, i was sort of obsessed for a while with old PAYG era wiley and gods gift)
kano (again, pre- and including up to his first album really)
kronik
discarda/syer b/dogzilla - i cant pick between them but i love how OTT they get
trim
tempa t
riko
roachie (just for all day long)

producers -

wiley
dizzee
terror danjah
geeneus
scratchy
plasticman
rapid
platinum 45 (weirdly underrated imo)
waifa
footsie (went off him around 2009-ish i think - his beats started to be more about hi-end production values than energy)

CrowleyHead

Fuck it, I'm a glutton for punishment.

1) Wiley
2) Trim
3) Dizzee
4) Castro
5) Tempa T
6) JME
7) Bruza
8) Shizzle
9) Hyper
10) K. Dot

Producers
1) Wiley
2) Dizzee
3) Skepta
4) Wonder (Up until the one song with the guitar and most of the stuff on the LP.)
5) Davinche
6) Rapid
7) Terror Danjah
8) (EARLY) Lewi White
9) Waifer
10) DVA (Before the Scratcha Era)

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ah found this thread accidentally

Didn't need my best grime beats ever thread

I am tempted to do this for rap but since the original post points out ego trip have already done that...

CrowleyHead

explain please

JME is the DJ Quik of grime. Obnoxious self-recognized genius who rhymes with blunt crudeness.

Luka once compared him to KRS-One and it was 100% apt. Grating, hectoring braggart about just how Clever he is without actually being clever (both vegans mind you which fits PERFECTLY to their rap attitudes).

sadmanbarty

Bare man try to screw me

But I got a business degree from uni

Don’t bring shanks to the rave

Make sure I get my 5 a day

Serious

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Bad man's not a bad man or carnivore
Bare man think Boy Better Know's a dinosaur
A dinosaur Jurassic, Integrity's a classic
But bare man never listened to it now, or before