Tech-Tard pt3: CABLES

martin

----
OK, here's the problem (as well as me being a complete spaz when it comes to basic technology)

I have a synth and an FX box. To hook them up I presumably need cables. The box has two holes 'Input' (presumably to link it to the synth) and 'amp' (presumably ditto to the amp. Bear with me)

The back of the synth has 3 holes (not counting 'phones' which is of no use to me here anyway). Two are perforated (ie you need those cable heads that look like brushes) marked MIDI left and right. The other is labelled 'Sustain'.

My amp ( a Technics) only has red/white holes, like you commonly get on separates. Even on the AUX setting - it needs dual cables.

Right, so I need to buy some cables and was just going to pick up some bog standard guitar leads until it occured to me I don't know what I'm doing - just wondering

1) Which of the synth holes do I need for a connection with the FX box? Do I need to buy the 'brush'-ended leads for the MIDI slots or can I stick the cable into the 'Sustain' hole?

2) Is my amp any good for playback? Presumably not as it doesn't have a single hole. Or can you buy those leads with a red / white head on one end and a single plug on the other?

A most perplexing mystery.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
What's the synth?

The MIDI and Sustain sockets will be of no use to you for audio purposes. Unless it has some other audio output (Line out or something similar) then it looks like you're going to have to use the Phones socket.

What you'll probably need is:

1 Stereo 3.5mm Jack Plug > Mono 3.5mm Jack Plug cable (this goes from the synth to the FX box)

+

1 Stereo* 3.5mm Jack Plug > 2 * Phono Plugs cable (from the FX unit to the amp)

At a guess.

*Possibly mono depending on the output from the FX thing.