nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
are you serious? not to derail, but... woah.

No I wasn't.

But even if I had been--do you really think everyone uses condoms? Because they don't. Many people rely on birth control only.

Not me, I wouldn't touch that toxic garbage. I know all the bad things about it that the pharmaceutical companies don't like publicized, since I worked in that field for a while.

But still, many, many women rely only on hormonal birth control or oral contraceptives and don't use condoms.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
You don't need condoms if you're in a monogamous relationship and you both know you're free of STDs. They feel awful anyway, the only thing worse is actually getting a dose, haha.

nomadthethird

You don't need condoms if you're in a monogamous relationship and you both know you're free of STDs. They feel awful anyway, the only thing worse is actually getting a dose, haha.

Yeah, plus the failure rate of condoms for pregnancy is statistically identical to that of the pull out method. So most people within a monogamous relationship don't bother.

ripley

No I wasn't.

But even if I had been--do you really think everyone uses condoms? Because they don't. Many people rely on birth control only.

Not me, I wouldn't touch that toxic garbage. I know all the bad things about it that the pharmaceutical companies don't like publicized, since I worked in that field for a while.

But still, many, many women rely only on hormonal birth control or oral contraceptives and don't use condoms.

which it sounded like you were saying was a rationale for NOT using condoms when one has sex with one of those women (or men who doesn't use'em).. I guess I misunderstood. because that (the fact that they don't use condoms) is a pretty good argument for USING condoms with them, especially if you are having sex with one OUTSIDE of your monogamous relationship. I missed the logic for how leaving yourself unprotected against HIV in a relationship with long-term commitment, monogamy, and shared trust is the same logic for leaving yourself unprotected against HIV with someone without those things. but anyway..

back to the blessings:
finding really quality chocolate chip cookie in Kingston Jamaica, with no ganja involved.

mos dan

fact music
bless the fact that the bless thread is only 15 pages long but the 'Pointless But It Does My Head In' is 56 pages :)

bassnation

the abyss
which it sounded like you were saying was a rationale for NOT using condoms when one has sex with one of those women (or men who doesn't use'em).. I guess I misunderstood. because that (the fact that they don't use condoms) is a pretty good argument for USING condoms with them, especially if you are having sex with one OUTSIDE of your monogamous relationship. I missed the logic for how leaving yourself unprotected against HIV in a relationship with long-term commitment, monogamy, and shared trust is the same logic for leaving yourself unprotected against HIV with someone without those things. but anyway..

if people think being in a long term relationship is a cast iron guarantee of not getting an STD, i'd suggest thats a rather naive view in light of human nature. i'm not saying everybody in a relationship is going to screw round, but it's a common enough occurrence not to rely on total fidelity in terms of contraceptives and protection.

unfortunately condoms are a fact of life - i don't like them very much and to be honest they make sex much less pleasurable, but its a fact of life. i'd rather forgoe some pleasure than have to spend hours sat in a vd clinic with all kinds of weirdos, or even end up dead, simple as that.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
if people think being in a long term relationship is a cast iron guarantee of not getting an STD, i'd suggest thats a rather naive view in light of human nature. i'm not saying everybody in a relationship is going to screw round, but it's a common enough occurrence not to rely on total fidelity in terms of contraceptives and protection.

Of course, but you're still less likely to catch something than if you're going around merrily sticking your willy here, there and everywhere, aren't you?

unfortunately condoms are a fact of life - i don't like them very much and to be honest they make sex much less pleasurable, but its a fact of life. i'd rather forgoe some pleasure than have to spend hours sat in a vd clinic with all kinds of weirdos, or even end up dead, simple as that.

Haha, what (in that hypothetical scenario) makes you think you're the token non-'weirdo' in an STD clinic's waiting room? 'Pologies if you were kidding...

swears

preppy-kei

So when you're in bed with your long-term gf and you put a condom on, what's she suppose to think you're thinking? "Hey, I know you're probably not screwing around behind my back and catching all kinds of STDs, but better safe than sorry, eh?"

I think condoms have been (for very good reasons) promoted as the be all and end all in terms of safe sex and contraception. But you do have to use common sense sometimes, most couples I know use the pill and/or pull out... it's not rocket science, and it's not failsafe, but neither are condoms.

nomadthethird

back to the blessings:
finding really quality chocolate chip cookie in Kingston Jamaica, with no ganja involved.

Did I say it was logical or that I endorsed that practice?

Of course people should use condoms, but people do not. People do not always live up to my ideals, unfortunately, nor do they do what's healthy and responsible all of the time.

nomadthethird

Yeah I know... try telling the average straight couple who really believes in monogamy that, though...