Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Conspiracies in literature

Yeah I reckon that means it's all true. That's why they let Dan Brown win the court case, to make it look more like fiction and further discredit the other dudes. Obvious really.

Snowcrash is just one of the best books ever, it repays reading as well, I've still never finished Cryptonomicon despite trying it three times though.

The Iluminatus thing I loved but I wonder whether it helps reading it younger rather than older. Also smoking loads of dope helps when reading it, i can't imagine reading it not stoned, but it's totally essential for conspiracy shit. And of course Uncle Bill Burroughs is there if you want to go down that route. I've greatly enjoyed Mark Manning and Bill Drummond's stuff too, to my surprise, I was expecting to hate it.

I never got around to reading it but The instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears or similar I think was a murky historic thriller possibly fitting desired specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    Snowcrash is just one of the best books ever, it repays reading as well, I've still never finished Cryptonomicon despite trying it three times though.
    How did you get bogged down with it? I was hooked from the first page. The bit where he mercilessly rips it out these smug po-mo Californian social-science academics had me piddling myself with joy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    I've greatly enjoyed Mark Manning and Bill Drummond's stuff too, to my surprise, I was expecting to hate it.
    I read The Wild Highway last year courtesy of IdleRich - fantastic stuff, I need to read the others in the series now.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

i first read illuminatus! when i was 13 or 14 and it was fan fuckin tastic.

i recently picked up a copy of Masks of the Illuminati, also by RAW, and found it to be a much more mature and subtly funny take on conspiracy lit. Sir John Babcock gets mixed up with the Ordo Templi Orientis and has his experience explained to him by young Einstein and James Joyce. find a copy of this shit, top notch.
    Last edited by pfhlick; 11-09-2007 at 06:58 PM. Reason: duh, ordo templi orientis

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    How did you get bogged down with it? I was hooked from the first page. The bit where he mercilessly rips it out these smug po-mo Californian social-science academics had me piddling myself with joy.

I read The Wild Highway last year courtesy of IdleRich - fantastic stuff, I need to read the others in the series now.
    I just kinda lost interest in the character, then forgot that I didn't care about him, so start to read ti again, and then....

Yeah I was well surprised at Wild Highway, much funnier than I thought it would be, and they tie it up really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Which bit was that? I haven't read it for years. I just got the Diamond Age from a charity shop for a quid, so I'm enjoying that at the moment. He makes all his far-out technology seem almost plausible, to a layman at least.

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post
    Which bit was that?
    It's very near the beginning - Randy is having dinner with his soon-to-be-ex-girlfriend and a bunch of her mates, before he gets a call from Avi (I think) about the new business venture they've been talking about, i.e. the Kinakuta data-haven project.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

i hate neal stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i hate neal stephenson
    What brought this on? Did he cut you up at a roundabout recently? Crack onto your girlfriend?

I love conspiracy theories too. or at least mysteries that unravel, or never completely do. House of Leaves I loved for this, though not a conspiracy as such.

Dan Brown's precursor, the Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, I loved for this, though it falls somewhere between factual and literature.

droid Guest

The new Neal Stephenson was very readable, but disappointingly dull in concept.

Anathem though, is probably the best si-fi book so far this century.

Foucault's pendulum is the both the daddy and the destroyer of the conspiracy genre in every way. Also - Baudalino.

Foucault's Pendulum is exactly what you want...

Definitely gotta read that just on Dissensus recs alone.

Droid, you cleared your inbox lately? Got something that might be up your street. Could just post it here of course, though it's a bit off-topic.

droid Guest

Cleared.